Monologues

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of theater people on here and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good monologues for me. I'm looking through a Neil Simon monologue book right now and there are some good ones but nothing is jumping out at me. I'd really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks:smile:

(younger female ones )

And I'd be especially interested in any comedic ones someone might know of.

radionate

Reaction score
I always hate trying to find monologues. You can't go wrong with Neil Simon though. But female monologues from him are few and far between.

May I suggest looking at a comedy called "Greater Tuna". Its written as a 2 man show for men, but there are some female monologues in there that are hilarious! (the guys do them in drag). Velma at the church is the best of the bunch.

I'll pick my brain and some of my friends and see what they can come up with for you.

Do you have to have a song too?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What's wrong with something from a Muppets production? I'm quite sure there's tons of fun banter from a Muppet somewhere.

I've never had to do a monologue before. If I ever did, I'd pull from a favorite movie or something.

Not that I would. I'm retiring from theater (it's a memory thing).

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I always hate trying to find monologues. You can't go wrong with Neil Simon though. But female monologues from him are few and far between.

May I suggest looking at a comedy called "Greater Tuna". Its written as a 2 man show for men, but there are some female monologues in there that are hilarious! (the guys do them in drag). Velma at the church is the best of the bunch.

I'll pick my brain and some of my friends and see what they can come up with for you.

Do you have to have a song too?
Thanks a lot, I'll definitly look into that one:smile: I hate looking for them too and I probably should have started looking a long time ago instead of waiting til a few weeks before I need it:big_grin: I don't need a song though, I'm not much of a singer:smile:

What's wrong with something from a Muppets production? I'm quite sure there's tons of fun banter from a Muppet somewhere.
That would be fun! But sadly, we're not supposed to use stuff from movies, only plays.

radionate

Reaction score
Some other plays I have thought about today include:

Communicating Doors (very funny dominatrix stuff)
The Women (recently done again on broadway)
And the Pigeon Sisters crying Monologue from The Odd Couple

Manda:-D

Reaction score
I wrote a HILARIOUS monologue a/b a lady trying to write a personals ad-But you probably need one that's already been published, huh?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
hmmm.....we are writing monologues in drama right now! not comedic though..........really good comedy monologues can be hard to come by!

Sarah!

do you compete? or is this for something else??? i compete in Standard Oratory Foreign Extempt and Prose.....but i'm no good in prose!

Sarah

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by sarah_yzma
do you compete? or is this for something else??? i compete in Standard Oratory Foreign Extempt and Prose.....but i'm no good in prose!

Sarah
I need it for placement auditions (to get into the next level acting classes) coming up in a few weeks. I was in forensics in high school though and I did prose too:smile:

and Nate, do you know the authors of any of those plays? I found the ones for General Tuna but I don't know where to find scripts:frown:
Thanks again:big_grin:

Kye

Reaction score
A couple of things....Please dont do the tuna fish monolugue from laughing wild or anything else that you get from a monologue book! Why... because they are so overdone.
Also, dont...DO NOT write your own monolougue for an audition. The directors will think that you can handle someone elses material, and you can only write things to do it well... remember that the play that your auditioning for was not written by you...or you probably would have to audition.

Try to think of a character from a play that you really enjoy, and make something work for you. I once saw a girl audition with a monologue from wait for godot, but she did it as a whiney waitress... IT WORKED... but it was very risky.

radionate

Reaction score
I saw someone do a scene from Macbeth and then busted into The Lion King's "I Just Can't Wait To Be King". Funny stuff, and he nailed it!

Greater Tuna is different from the tuna fish monologue. Greater Tuna was written by Jaston Williams, Joe Sears, and Ed Howard.

Of course The Odd Couple was written by Neil Simon.

The Women was written by Clare Booth Luce.

Kye is correct about writing your own monologues too, not a wise thing to do. But don't go for monologues that have been done over and over and over again.