More newbie questions

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Ok, this project is getting bigger as I work on it. I've got more questions that have probably been answered before, so please bear with me.

I'm attempting to make a bichon frise puppet. I've got some ideas about shaping the head, but I could use some advice. When I use the "basketball" or "wedge" method of shaping, the body and head sections come out more pointy than rounded. How can I fix this?

I've also got some mech questions. If I were to make a winking or blinking eye mechanism, or even an eyebrow mechanism, is it easier to work the eyes with the controls on a rod or built into the head's mouth cavity? Also, how do you attach the eyelets or rings for the monofilament to go through inside the head? Can eyelet screws attatch to foam? Ideally I want this to be a single puppeteer puppet. (i.e. me.) I would also like to make the ears perk a bit on demand. I've got an idea about how to do this. I was going to run a string running through the head and anchored on each ear, so that when you pull down the ears perk. However, I don't want the head to "squash when I do this. Any ideas?

I also had a question about eyes. I realize that the "muppet look" has been overdone, but which eyes look the best on a character? I've heard of techniques using plastic spoons, fishing bobbers, pingpong balls, acryllic domes and more. Any suggestions? I was also considering using stuffed animal eyes. Any ideas/warnings/etc.?

Finally, how wide do I make the mouth while retaining a "dog" shape? I've got some ideas about foam shaping, but I want to make sure this puppet will be operational.

Thanks for all your advice and sharing your expertise.

Jason

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
SesameKermie said:
When I use the "basketball" or "wedge" method of shaping, the body and head sections come out more pointy than rounded. How can I fix this?
Without seeing the wedges you're using it's hard to say but I'd guess that either the shape of the wedge needs to be adjusted or you need to use more wedges. To make a perfect ball the ratio of the wedge's width to it's height should be 1:4 and you must use eight wedges. If you don't want to make a perfect ball you have to experiment with using different ratios and numbers of wedges. It's a trial-and-error process.

SesameKermie said:
Is it easier to work the eyes with the controls on a rod or built into the head's mouth cavity? Also, how do you attach the eyelets or rings for the monofilament to go through inside the head? Can eyelet screws attatch to foam?
I think that unless you're very experienced at building mechs, most subtle eye effects are useless. Either you don't see them or the controls are so akward they end up being seldom used. My personal philosphy with mechs in Muppet-like puppets is "go big or go home". Use an exaggerated effects like Gonzo's eyelids or something similar.

That said, putting the controls in the rod is better imho but that's a matter of preference. It's also extremely difficult to engineer, again, unless you're very adept at mechanical motion.

SesameKermie said:
I also had a question about eyes. I realize that the "muppet look" has been overdone, but which eyes look the best on a character? I've heard of techniques using plastic spoons, fishing bobbers, pingpong balls, acryllic domes and more. Any suggestions? I was also considering using stuffed animal eyes. Any ideas/warnings/etc.?
Depends on the design. What looks great on one puppet looks awful on another. I think that the best approach is to figure out what kind of eyes the character needs and then figure out how to build them.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Without seeing the wedges you're using it's hard to say but I'd guess that either the shape of the wedge needs to be adjusted or you need to use more wedges. To make a perfect ball the ratio of the wedge's width to it's height should be 1:4 and you must use eight wedges. If you don't want to make a perfect ball you have to experiment with using different ratios and numbers of wedges. It's a trial-and-error process.

Ok. It was a paper pattern. I wanted to get the shapes and sizes down before I cut the foam. I made the wedges at the 1:4 ratio, but I made them angular, like a parallelogram quilters' template. So the shape needs to be a little more curved.

I think that unless you're very experienced at building mechs, most subtle eye effects are useless. Either you don't see them or the controls are so akward they end up being seldom used. My personal philosphy with mechs in Muppet-like puppets is "go big or go home". Use an exaggerated effects like Gonzo's eyelids or something similar.

That said, putting the controls in the rod is better imho but that's a matter of preference. It's also extremely difficult to engineer, again, unless you're very adept at mechanical motion.

I think I'll hold of on the mechs then. Someone once told me that mechs are mostly gimmicks that hide poor puppetry. So I'll try to get to where I can work with it first without the gimmick, and then build another with the mechs if needed.

Depends on the design. What looks great on one puppet looks awful on another. I think that the best approach is to figure out what kind of eyes the character needs and then figure out how to build them.
All right so I'll wait on that. Can anyone show me a template for a mouth plate for a dog or wolf-like character? I was thinking it would be a "tongue depressor" shape cut in 2 parts with the upper jaw longer than the lower.

Ok, now for the last question of my current batch. After searching the forums, I've read about the different types of foam. However, I'm still confused. Is "polyfoam" like you can get in big sheets and rolls at places like Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabrics a good foam to use, or should I try to hunt down upholstery scraps? I want to make this a quality puppet.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Jason