1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Morning with the Muppets

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by MelissaY1, May 9, 2016.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I think the show basically confirmed that already, because Steve isn't in the show's credits anymore nor is he listed on SST's website as one of the performers. And Billy Barkhurst has officially filmed three consecutive seasons as Ernie.
    I do wonder why they kept the replacement so quiet though. It seems for a while none of the people working on the show would confirm or deny whether of not Barkhurst had replaced Steve.

2. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I know they had someone else performing him recently, but I didn't know Steve was out of the picture for good until he discussed this at the event. He said it was a "long story" curious to know what happened there, and rather disappointed to hear. I think he did a great job with Ernie.

3. Pig's Laundry

My guess is that since about 2007, Steve hasn't been as available to perform on Sesame Street due to his commitments to Muppet Studios projects. Since Ernie is a main character and was appearing less and less eventually Sesame Workshop decided they needed a new performer who's available year round. So they got Billy Barkhurst (who had already been Steve's understudy for about 4 years) to do the job.

4. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Oh well, at least we're getting more Ernie than what we had 5 years ago.

MelissaY1 likes this.
  5. ShMuppetgal96

ShMuppetgal96 Member

My guess is not only were outside Muppet projects were conflicting, but he does have a whole other separate life back in Atlanta. It would totally be understandable if he chooses to spend his free time back home with his wife.

Colbynfriends and MelissaY1 like this.
  6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I've given up on waiting for the official video to be uploaded, so here's the whole panel in audio form: podfanatic.com/podcast/vulture-festival-podcast/episode/morning-with-the-muppets

7. ShMuppetgal96

ShMuppetgal96 Member

Well, this just makes me wish there was video even more!!

8. Pig's Laundry

Well, for me this definitely makes up for the fact that there's no video. Interviews with Steve Whitmire and Eric Jacobson are super rare, so i'm just happy this exists.

9. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

When they do the montage at the beginning towards the end of it you can hear the Pigs In Space announcer at the end he says Tune in next time to hear Pepe say I believe, then Pepe says something and then Link does. Sounds like Matt Vogel as the announcer and it sounds good! Hope the videos are released soon

10. MelissaY1

Thanks for this! I wanted some kind of evidence that Steve said hello to me in the middle of the panel LOL

JimAndFrank likes this.
  11. Pig's Laundry

Oh yeah, I noticed he said hello to someone named Melissa, but I didn't piece together that it was you. You lucky son of a gun. :fanatic:

12. MelissaY1

Yep, that's me! LOL Question, I went through I thought most of the audio but didn't hear that part. Do you know what point he says it?

13. MelissaY1

Never mind found it, 39 minutes and 29 seconds in LOL

Pig's Laundry and JimAndFrank like this.
  14. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I just heard it!

I would have been grinning my face off if Steve were to point me out during a panel.

MelissaY1 likes this.
  15. antsamthompson9

16. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Ugh, the guy annoys when me, he spams on YouTube. Also it's kind of werid how he asked a SST question at a Muppet panel. No one asked a SST question at Muppetfest and Elmo was there. Just a pet peeve of mine.

17. antsamthompson9

I'd like to share my favorite section from this talk, because it's something that every Muppet fan should realize:
    Interviewer: You clearly come close to the voice, but I'm wondering if you ever made any effort to differentiate yourself a little bit.
    Steve: No, but I can't help it. I'm not a mimic, really.
    Interviewer: I mean, it's pretty close.
    Steve: It's in the same ballpark, and it's been 26 years, so I think people have grown accustomed to it. I had a lot of criticism in the beginning and I understand it. I'd walk into a room, and people would say "You sound exactly like Jim" and then people would say "You don't sound anything like Jim". One of the most embarrassing things I did, in the early days we did this phone-in radio thing, to these kinda shock-jocks. So they weren't very nice people to begin with. And they were talking to Kermit, and they spent the whole interview saying "You don't sound anything like Kermit" to Kermit. It was so hard. What could I do? I had to say it was Kermit. So I get it. But we don't have any choice. I hear a lot of people writing or talking online about Jim's Kermit, or Frank's Fozzie or Frank's Piggy vs. Eric's Piggy. And from our point of view, I understand that, but it's a non-existent difference. There's no Frank's Piggy, it's Piggy. And that's the way we have to approach it. Because it doesn't get shared. This is who she is now. They do have to evolve. That's really important.
    Eric: Yeah, evolve is the right word. Obviously, these characters are gonna be different on our hands than our predecessors. But we're accepting of that. It was hard for me at first, because I wanted to able to fool people. And maybe you can do that for a little while, but eventually especially with the Internet these days, people are gonna know. And so I had to come to terms with that, and realize that I'm not Frank. And nobody can be somebody else. But perhaps Piggy can still be Piggy, and be a little bit different than she was before but totally in-character. Totally a character that you can believe in, and continue to believe in and be entertained by.

18. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I LOVED this bit as well, but for slightly different reasons than I think you do.

With the whole 'Steve's voice for Kermit' thing, I really, REALLY wish that the wider Muppet audience would realise that Steve knows perfectly well that he is not Jim.

I constantly read, "Whitmire is nowhere as good as Henson" or "I hate the new Kermit, sounds nothing like when Hanson did him" or even "Henson is rolling in his grave" it makes me cringe. How on earth do people expect someone to be able to match up to someone like Jim? Even if you can get the voice down, doesn't mean you could get the personality perfect as well.

I bet you any money that when Kermit is passed to a new performer, the same people who complained about Steve will complain about the new performer because "He sounds nothing like Whitmire or Henson."

It really doesn't need to be said again, but Steve has done an awesome job with making Kermit his own. The voice being perfectly accurate is far less significant than Kermit having an enjoyable, hilarious and endearing personality, which Steve has supplied in spades. The same goes for Eric and all the other performers who have picked up characters in the past.

Mo Frackle and Pig's Laundry like this.
  19. antsamthompson9

Very nicely put.

JimAndFrank likes this.
  20. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

You mean, those people actually know who Steve Whitmire is? Those similar comments I generally come across are from people who assume all of the Muppets were just recently recast.

JimAndFrank likes this.