Most Annoying TV Series Ever?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now, to get personal. I was a bisexual teenager going to a very conservative high school when W&G was in its heyday, and don't you think I would have given anything to have as kind and wonderful a best friend on my side as Grace? I'm not going to pretend that it was God's gift to TV (admittedly, Season Five onward was pure crap), but it meant a lot to me and by insulting W&G, you not only insult me but you insult all of its fans who have a sexual orientation other than straight.

Will and Grace isn't a annoying show because the characters are gay. Will and Grace is a terrible show because it's an annoying show with annoying, obnoxious loud characters. If they made a show about someone squeaking Styrofoam for a half hour, it would be less grating. And this is coming from someone who cowers in pain when someone opens a box.

I get that the show resonated with you on some level. If you like it, that's cool. I don't like how loud and fast everything has to be, I don't like Sean Hayes's screeching (his best work is when he plays brains in jars... seriously. He played that exact role twice), and his Jar Jar Binks like antics. And I especially hate how the producers keep trying to make the same show with the same tired gay stereotypes.

To give you an idea, I'm not too fond of FRIENDS either, but I respect the cultural impact it had. It did have it's fair share of laughs every so often... and hey Melodia from Silverhawks was Janice. But (being forced to watch it, so that kinda taints something for me) I just don't get Will and Grace's popularity for anything else other than having gay characters in it. The proof? That was the ONLY successful sitcom those guys ever had.

EDIT: That's not to say I find the show inherently the worst. I mean, I dislike it, but the thread is about annoying shows, not worst shows. I can think of things much worse than this show, but they aren't so much annoying as terrible. I'll give W&G this... it's not half as terrible as According to Jim, Hope and Faith, or that thing where Damon Wayans was unfunny.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I get that the show resonated with you on some level. If you like it, that's cool. I don't like how loud and fast everything has to be, I don't like Sean Hayes's screeching (his best work is when he plays brains in jars... seriously. He played that exact role twice), and his Jar Jar Binks like antics. And I especially hate how the producers keep trying to make the same show with the same tired gay stereotypes.
I'm right there with you. If some people were inspired by W&G, that's great. But Hayes' character was little better than a Minstrel Show. I didn't consider it progress at all. And it's ridiculous to say if you didn't like W&G, then you're insulting the gay community. An entire community's identify should not be wrapped up in a TV show designed to get ratings for some rich executives, heh.

But anyway, continuing with the discussion on annoying animated shows...um...like some other users I'll have to go with Jimmy Neutron. That character bugged me so much, he was just utterly unlikeable and the show in general was just unpleasantly snarky.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
But anyway, continuing with the discussion on annoying animated shows...um...like some other users I'll have to go with Jimmy Neutron. That character bugged me so much, he was just utterly unlikeable and the show in general was just unpleasantly snarky.

That's another thing (sorry, I didn't say all I wanted with my rant on that show). The writing on it was a lot less clever than the writers probably thought. Characters just being sarcastic little twits 24/7 isn't funny; funny sarcastic characters take a break occasionally. Also, aren't Jimmy and his two friends a little old to still think girls are icky? Most kids outgrow that mindset (if they ever even have it to begin with) when they're about 7.

Even though I hate the cliche, Cindy loving Jimmy while treating him like garbage was one of the only instances of such a cliche that was somewhat tolerable (at least, unlike most times the cliche is used, it could be argued that Jimmy and Cindy sort of deserved each other).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm right there with you. If some people were inspired by W&G, that's great. But Hayes' character was little better than a Minstrel Show. I didn't consider it progress at all. And it's ridiculous to say if you didn't like W&G, then you're insulting the gay community. An entire community's identify should not be wrapped up in a TV show designed to get ratings for some rich executives, heh.
YES! Yes to all of that. From what I understand one of the creators was gay, so I guess there was some N word privileges there... but it just translates into the obnoxious, cartoony stereotype that homophobes love to drag out to laugh at/make an example of. I give you credit for being brave on this. Every time I bring up "Will and Grace" and "Minstrel Show:" in the same sentence, everyone bites my head off. But that's the unintended implications of the show. It's an unfortunate "fine for the day" type show, but they inserted the same tired cliches into Partners. A show that was salvaged by critics, mind you.

Moving on... while I do enjoy Jimmy Neutron, I see the point. Neutron is an egotistical little snot, but I find it all the funnier that his inventions wind up royally screwing him over in the end. With Dexter's Lab, I kinda feel sorry for Dexter having to deal with Dee Dee, and sometimes his failures are Wile E. Coyote-esque. But with Jimmy, it knocks him down a peg. Plus, I kinda watch the show for Carl and Mr. Neutron's endless innuendos anyway. Though I think the most annoying Nicktoon was Rocket Power, just for that whole late 90's X-TREEEEEEEEME tie in. My Glob, how I detest that fad. Putting a cartoon of a 12 year old with green hair on a carton of ice cream doesn't make it a health food.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Though I think the most annoying Nicktoon was Rocket Power, just for that whole late 90's X-TREEEEEEEEME tie in.
Ohh true, Rocket Power could be pretty grating as well, lol. Yay, they're all great at sports! Um....good for them? :skeptical:

Don't get me wrong, it's great to encourage kids to be active. It was just a little too obnoxious for me, hehe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If only that encouraged kids to be active. The closest workout half those kids got was working up their thumbs playing those Tony Hawk Playstation games. All this fuss about cartoon characters on junk food wrappings, and not once did anyone call out all the high sugar worse junk food we don't have anymore that was marketed to have some shoddy connection to the X-Games.

Remember SUUUUURRRRRRGGGE? The high carb soda, that had the distinction of being advertised by 30 seconds of screaming?

Anyway, yeah... I've found enjoyment in virtually every Nicktoon I've watched except Rocket Power. And Planet Sheen. And I actually like Neutron.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Remember SUUUUURRRRRRGGGE? The high carb soda, that had the distinction of being advertised by 30 seconds of screaming?
Oh yes, every jock in my school drank Surge, though there were always whispers about possible side effects, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back on subject, while I won't say that Live with Michael and Kelly is that annoying a show, they have the most annoying promos I've ever seen. Every time I catch one, I cringe for at least 5 minutes.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Legend of Korra. Now, before anyone blows their head off, yes, it had beautiful animation. Yes, it has great voice acting. Yes, it has fun characters. Yes, it's insanely creative and gorgeous to look at. Yes, I am a huge fan of the original Last Airbender series. Yes, I recognise that's it's a different generation and things are going to be different.

But, by god, did it get annoying!

At first, I liked it. Sure, the first series was problematic in some sense, but it was a point I could tolerate. But the second season nearly had me pulling my hair out.

I'm not gonna say what annoyed me about it because I'll be hear forever. Let's just say I was so torn by the stupidity of these situations and the other things I listed before that I just gave up on it altogether.

And don't get me started on the creators of the show. Urgh.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
ADVENTURE TIME, not necessarily for the show itself, but its fanbase, which is mostly uneducated kids who automatically think every single fricken animated movie or series that came before it that feature two characters (particularly a human and animal companionship) going on adventures is, "Where ADVENTURE TIME came from." Seriously. Somehow, Rocky and Bullwinkle, TWICE UPON A TIME, Wallace and Gromit, H.R. PUFNSTUF, Tintin, and even Tom Terrific are all, "Where ADVENTURE TIME came from."