Most Disturbing Animated Movie and TV Show

animalrescuer

Reaction score
What's the most disturbing animated movie or TV show you've ever seen?
For me, I've seen only bits and pieces of these movies: Watership Down, The Plague Dogs and Felidae. All of these movies from what little I've seen, are pretty disturbing containing blood and gore and other aspects. Every time I force myself to see part of any of those movies, I always feel a little nauseous, all of these movies are nightmare inducing.

What do you think?

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I guess if you can think of any disturbing live action movies or TV shows, you can mention them if you want to.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay.

There's a biopic about Allan Arbus's (Sidney Freedman from M*A*S*H) photographer wife, Diane - Nicole Kidman played her. I only saw a little bit of it late one night several years ago, but gee whiz, I had no idea what in the world was going on in that movie, it was truly bizarre. I later found out that Diane Arbus apparently had mental problems, so maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know.

Also, there's a movie called DROOL... it's not so much disturbing as it is just plain strange. A (white) housewife murders her abusive husband, and takes off with their kids and their (black) next door neighbor on a cross-country road trip to dispose of the body. Anyway, the kids are apparently angry at the mother because they actually favored their father. So anyway, along the way, the mother and the next door neighbor strike up a lesbian romance, which causes the kids to hate her even more.

Last edited:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Happy Tree Friends:That show looks like it's for little kids but is filled with blood and gore. It is disgusting, :grouchy:.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Friendly reminder that not everything that is animated is for children

Disturbing....mmm...The Haunting Hour could be pretty disturbing for a children's show though, even though its not a cartoon. The Mascot episode takes the cake on disturbing.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Friendly reminder that not everything that is animated is for children

Disturbing....mmm...The Haunting Hour could be pretty disturbing for a children's show though, even though its not a cartoon. The Mascot episode takes the cake on disturbing.
I know everything animated isn't for kids.
Look at my Family Guy avatar, :smile:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Takes quite a bit to disturb me, actually. I'm pretty much unphased by violent imagery. Family Guy can have some pretty graphic comedy violence, but I'd say the animators managed to find a way to distort features so they're still pretty funny. Like when Peter's head got smashed between two logs to get a hat. That was a good one. I was only kinda disturbed with that episode of American Dad that ends with Roger ripping Jeff's skin off and wearing it. I find Happy Tree Friends more monotonous than truly disturbing. I mean, the thing's made out of disturbing, but after a while it gets kinda repetitive. I'd also like to say I'm happy that the new TMNT series doesn't sugar coat mutations, and Rahzar, Mutagen Man, and Baxter Stockman had some delightfully horrific results. More disturbing than a kid's show, especially a popular one. But I'm glad not all the Mutants were designed with wacky action figures in mind. And I'd be at a miss to not mention one of my favorite animes, Fist of the North Star where violently exploding heads are the series trademark.

Not to say there aren't things I actually found disturbing.

Gotta admit, first time I saw the teddy bear hallucination sequence in Akira I had trouble sleeping for a few nights. Yeah, you wouldn't want the image of a cute cartoon car getting all veiny and throwing up. oops... probably put that one in your head right now.

Then there was that episode of Stone Quackers I saw. The show's disturbing, but in such a poorly done, awfully written way. The subject matter was disturbing (laboriously so), but the ugly character designs and the feeble attempts at humor by being disturbing just came off far more off putting than funny. Probably the worst cartoon in existence. And the fact that it's just unspeakably bad on every level makes it all the worse.

And of course, the most disturbing of all, Ren and Stimpy Adult Cartoon Party. Didn't see, but heard all about Ren Needs Help (or is it Ren Seeks Help, one was an episode of the kid's show that was disturbing in its own right). But I'm referring to Stimpy's Pregnant. Now, I loved how in the old series Ren would always give Stimpy the business and all... but in this series, they pretty much make them both an official couple. As such, Stimpy somehow becomes the woman because he's pregnant ('cept he really gives birth to a turd) and Ren's wacky, fun abuse of Stimpy who usually LOVES it turns into actual domestic abuse that's played for laughs. Very, very disturbing domestic abuse. Then there's the unproduced cartoon about the Child's Crusade that is the most cynical, depressing, horrifyingly negative thing I've ever seen. And I'm a pretty depressed cynic person! WOW!

Not to say that some of the Games Ren and Stimpy cartoons weren't also disturbing to some extent, but wow... just wow!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I mentioned somewhere else, "Watership Down" had its share of blood and guts. Scores of bunnies violently killed off, but that didn't faze me. Our 5th grade teacher told us what to expect (she took the time to read Richard Adams' novel). However, at the cinema, the film didn't have a rating, and the mommies bringing toddlers believed talking cartoon bunnies=Disney kiddie time. Nothing bad can happen, right?

So many little kids scarred for life due to either naive parents or a marketing blunder.
Despite the violence, it's still an excellent film. John Hubley, who supplied so much to the early days of Sesame Street and The Electric Company, designed the opening sequence, his last project before he died.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I agree, Watership Down is an excellent film and a faithful interpretation of Adams' original book. however, it is not for general audiences. For sensitive little kids it is a terrible film. The Plague Dogs is even more intense, and overall a very sad film. I like it a lot, but I don't watch it often because it is such a downer, and I wouldn't show it to my niece and nephew.