Most Obnoxious Fandoms

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm torn about the team name change.
Keep in mind, the team owners could easily turn the team names into the Nabisco Oreos or TDBank No-Hassle Credit Loans to squeeze in more money and there would be less complaint. Not to mention the oft told story of threatening to have the teams moved to another city unless a huge, baffling venue is build with tax payer money, having said tax payers pay for the debacle and have the team moved anyway. They'd certainly change the name then (at least the first part of it). It's all about money and what's in it for the concussion denying team owners. A name change would really mean having to clear out unsellable merchandising, yet it would also mean a series of new cheap to produce, easy to price gouge gewgaws no one really needs now flying off the shelves because of loyalty. Seems that either way would be profitable to the team owners.

BTW you know that a Bullwinkle Super Bowl special was abandoned because the NFL didn't like their owners being portrayed as crooks worse than Boris Badenov? :rolleyes: Nowadays, it would be seen as an understatement. I always use it as a counter argument when someone says "those players earn too much." The owners own much much more.

If the man had a rainbow dyed beard, that was Lar DeSouza dressed as Sailor Bacon. It was the payoff for a fundraiser that raised over $12,000 to fight Muscular Dystrophy. He and his wife do it every year. So, three cheers for the fat hairy guy in the magical girl costume!
What some really need to understand about cosplay is there are those who do it ironically or as a gag. Older, out of shape guys who are self aware, especially. There are those who do it unironically, and I have seen some great older woman cosplay pictures (one was a Miazaki reference), but if you're a large guy in a sailor suit, chances are it's a gag.

Me, I'm not that confident. I've only done it like 3 times. Once as SuppaMan (and like 3 people got the joke)

And like twice as Bob from Bob's Burgers. Because I kinda look like that, minus the balding.

Harleena

Reaction score
I also think that the Teen Titans fandom can be a little obnoxious, especially with the Beast BoyxRaven vs Beast BoyxTerra ship wars. I don't mind ship wars too much, but the BBxRaven fans absolutely DESPISE Terra just because of shipping, which isn't the best reason to hate a character, in my opinion. If you hate her for a good reason, like her personality or something she did, then that's fine, but just because she's in the way of your ship? I don't think so.
If the man had a rainbow dyed beard, that was Lar DeSouza dressed as Sailor Bacon. It was the payoff for a fundraiser that raised over $12,000 to fight Muscular Dystrophy. He and his wife do it every year. So, three cheers for the fat hairy guy in the magical girl costume!

As for the argument that you should stop cosplaying as soon as you pass a certain age...forget that. My middle-aged self will cosplay and have a ball. If you have a problem with that, then that's your problem.
No, it wasn't him. I've seen a lot of good cosplay and bad cosplay, but I think that it doesn't matter as long as you're having fun!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm a die-hard sports fan, I will watch basically anything if there's a ball involved. A lot of people do take it too seriously, and I'm not just referring to the extreme cases when jackwagons beat people up or riot after titles. It's just not worth getting angry about when there's so much fun in watching and seeing great players do what they're best at. One of the most exciting moments of my life was being on the UConn campus when the men's basketball team won the title in 2011.

What I think the sports fandom gets unfairly singled out for is the anger, when that sort of anger is involved in all fandoms. Look at the people who sent threats to all sorts of video game developers/critics on Twitter over Gamer-Gate. Same thing when Demi Lovato fans threatened Kathy Griffin over a joke she made on Twitter. Heck, I watch The Young And The Restless, and fans threatened to stop watching the show when an actor was fired for groping an actress without her permission. People were throwing all their eggs in the basket of the guy who who sexually harassed somebody! So it's not just sports fans acting like boors.

The big thing is that people need to let the air out of any fandom, and not get too wrapped up in it. Everyone could use perspective.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I think the sports fandom gets unfairly singled out for is the anger, when that sort of anger is involved in all fandoms. Look at the people who sent threats to all sorts of video game developers/critics on Twitter over Gamer-Gate. Same thing when Demi Lovato fans threatened Kathy Griffin over a joke she made on Twitter. Heck, I watch The Young And The Restless, and fans threatened to stop watching the show when an actor was fired for groping an actress without her permission. People were throwing all their eggs in the basket of the guy who who sexually harassed somebody! So it's not just sports fans acting like boors.
I agree. There are a lot of decent sports fans on any level of fandom that aren't the vocal minority. There are ones that dress up for fun reasons, and manage to stay respectful enough. Though I still don't understand the whole sports fans that dress up are more socially acceptable than comic fans that dress up bit. Every fandom is cursed with an angry, stupid, vocal minority. And the internet makes it a cotillion times worse (sorry, just watched T.U.F.F. Puppy, stole a joke). The gamer-gate thing was disgusting beyond every level of reason, and teenyboppers who send death threats are the worst. And it's not even new, either. Mad Magazine got a lot of hate mail for daring to parody the New Kids on the Block (as a parody magazine is want to do, as it's a parody magazine). More of the respectful majority of fans of anything need to speak out and distance themselves from the whackjobs.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heck, I watch The Young And The Restless, and fans threatened to stop watching the show when an actor was fired for groping an actress without her permission. People were throwing all their eggs in the basket of the guy who who sexually harassed somebody!
Ahhh yes, I remember that. That wasn't my soap so it didn't affect me. But I can understand how awkward that is. It's hard to just cut a character out of your life after an actor turns out to be a disappointment.

Mad Magazine got a lot of hate mail for daring to parody the New Kids on the Block
Are you serious? LOL.

Last edited:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Ahhh yes, I remember that. That wasn't my soap so it didn't affect me. But I can understand how awkward that is. It's hard to just cut a character out of your life after an actor turns out to be a disappointment.
Which one do you watch? They finally introduced the new Adam this week, so they moved pretty quickly to find a replacement for Michael Muhney. Hopefully fans won't be too harsh on the guy and drive him off like they did David Tom when he stepped in for Billy Miller.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Which one do you watch? They finally introduced the new Adam this week, so they moved pretty quickly to find a replacement for Michael Muhney. Hopefully fans won't be too harsh on the guy and drive him off like they did David Tom when he stepped in for Billy Miller.
I'm more of a Days of Our Lives and Bold & the Beautiful fan. Also Guiding Light before it ended. I also used to watch Santa Barbara with my Mom when I was a kid, lol.

I mean, I get it, there's been some recasts that I absolutely hated. And then you're stuck with them and it's just frustrating. But you have to feel bad for the actors too, thrown in the middle of such a minefield!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm more of a Days of Our Lives and Bold & the Beautiful fan. Also Guiding Light before it ended. I also used to watch Santa Barbara with my Mom when I was a kid, lol.

I mean, I get it, there's been some recasts that I absolutely hated. And then you're stuck with them and it's just frustrating. But you have to feel bad for the actors too, thrown in the middle of such a minefield!
I've seen a little of Days recently, but Y&R is the only one I really watch. And immediate recasts are really tough on the actors, at least if they put someone out of the picture for awhile the new person has a chance to make a fresh impression. When person X is playing a role on Friday and person Y on Monday, it's a lot harder, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've seen a little of Days recently, but Y&R is the only one I really watch. And immediate recasts are really tough on the actors, at least if they put someone out of the picture for awhile the new person has a chance to make a fresh impression. When person X is playing a role on Friday and person Y on Monday, it's a lot harder, lol.
Is the replacement for that Y&R character the same type as the original actor? Or does it seem like a 180?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Is the replacement for that Y&R character the same type as the original actor? Or does it seem like a 180?
Justin Hartley hasn't done much yet, but he seems less sleazy than Michael Muhney's Adam. Hartley just seems really brooding.