Most Underused Muppets?

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Ever like one of those characters who had so much potential, yet was sorely underused (except for ensemble numbers)?

I have one, and I wish they had used him a lot more.

Uncle Deadly was rarely used after the third season of The Muppet Show, and I wish they had kept him on. I can think of so many situations he could be in (case in point, the number Gorgon Heap and I conjured up where he sang "Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin'" while in a gothic castle with a thunderstorm brewing outside). I also thought he'd be perfect for other songs sung by baddies in Broadway shows, such as "Reviewing the Situation" from "Oliver!".

Not only that, he is one of the coolest-looking Muppets. I've always thought that the coolest-looking Muppets (besides the Electric Mayhem) were some of the monsters. The Deadly One definitely fits the bill here. I wish we had seen more of him after Season Three.

Plus, his original character sketch (which can be found on Henson.com) looks REALLY awesome. I've thought about getting a tattoo of it just under my right shoulder. (possibly with the words "DEADLY" or "THE DEADLY ONE" right above it, but I can't afford to get any tattoos now)

Let's hear it for Uncle Deadly, one of the coolest Muppet monsters/baddies ever. If you need a bad guy...JUST SAY UNCLE!

beaker

Reaction score
Oh I know! Like Elmo, Gonzo...err wait...oh most 'underused' Muppet.

Yeah Uncle Deadly rocked. I say bring back him, Digit, Leon, Lindburgh, Zondra, Behemoth, etc! At least they brought back the two Bossmen!(Muppetfest, VMC, MT!)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
rowlf is one of the most underused muppets. heck, he's the oldest muppet, even older than kermit the frog, not kermit the puppet from sam and friends! i mean i wasn't used that much in the first 3 movies or not that much in the muppet show. he did some songs, did vets hospital, thats about it. and it was even worse after jim henson died because they said he has been retired, but he poped up in the last 3 muppet movies and the christmas movie that was aired back in november. i think a character that can be a great character has been wasted

ryan

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I agree. It would be nice to see Rowlf more often. I think Bill Barretta has done a good job with him. I would like to see a movie where he had more speaking lines. I really liked Andy and Randy, Miss Piggy's nephews. It's hilarious how dumb they were. They really weren't seen much after MT! That picture of them in MFS doesn't really count. Also, Seymour, maybe.... But I think I like Pepe better when he's on his own. Just my thoughts.

By the way, Phil, thanks for giving me the Daffyfan2003 username.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Andy and Randy were okay. The only line I remember them saying (other than in MCT) was:

"You know the sacred language too! E-way are not orthy-way! E-way are not orthy-way!"
- Andy and Randy

That was hilarious! Taken straight from Wayne's World. They said that after John Goodman's "I think the ig-pays are a little upid-stay."

I really miss Rowlf. It'd be nice to see him back. Also liked Link. He was so dumb! I think the last time Jim ever performed Link was in The Muppets Go to Walt Disney World. Man, I loved that special. It's the only Muppet special from the eighties I had ever seen. It got ruined unfortunately. Oh, well.

You know, after writing this, it's interesting to realize just what you can spell with Goodman when you're not watching the screen while typing. Yikes!

beaker

Reaction score
Goog point...it's been weird seeing ol brown ears diominish into the background. Luckily in the last 12 months, starting with Muppetfest live gala thing...through Weezer special, and now VMC...theyve started to bring him back. Im glad they have brought back a lot of characters.

Originally posted by Super Scooter

I really miss Rowlf. It'd be nice to see him back. Also liked Link. He was so dumb! I think the last time Jim ever performed Link was in The Muppets Go to Walt Disney World. Man, I loved that special. It's the only Muppet special from the eighties I had ever seen. It got ruined unfortunately. Oh, well.
The 80's got ruined or your vhs? I would have to agree, the 80's got ruined in the late spring of 1990. As for your tape, ack! Someone get this kid a replacement copy! I consider M@WDW one of the finest, coolest Muppet things ever right under Muppet Family Xmas and Muppets Take Manhattan(oh and the JHH)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Also liked Link. He was so dumb! I think the last time Jim ever performed Link was in The Muppets Go to Walt Disney World. Man, I loved that special. It's the only Muppet special from the eighties I had ever seen. It got ruined unfortunately. Oh, well.

ya i liked link, he was funny and dumb at the same time and was used a lot in sketches and stuff. he was supposed to say something in muppets from space but it got edited out.....dang it

ryan