Movies You Thought You'd Hate But Like

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Hi guys! Have any of you ever seen a movie thinking it'd be awful, but liked it! I have a couple movies like that.
The Lego Movie:I expected it to be a commercial, but it's quite funny and original and had a very good storyline.
Fred Claus:Is it a masterpiece...not at all, but did I find it mildly enjoyable, yes. I saw this one with a friend on her birthday.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering a year ago I was pulling my hair out from the very thought of Turbo, I'm glad I gave the film a chance. I liked it and all, but the Netflix series does the concept much better, having Turbo fight off against other bugs and small animals instead of just a lame "you can do anything, especially impossible things that you in no circumstances should do" message.

Also expected to hate the Smurfs movie quite a bit, but ended up enjoying it.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I liked the Smurfs movie too, but I haven't seen the second one.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was absolutely convinced the Lord of the Rings films would be terrible. One of those times I was absolutely delighted to be proven wrong. :smile:

Now those Hobbit films, my skepticism about them proved accurate. :wink:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. I went in expecting it to be an overblown psuedo-funny mystery, but it had a great brisk plot that kept me interested. Plus Noomi Rapace did an excellent job in her supporting role.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. I went in expecting it to be an overblown psuedo-funny mystery, but it had a great brisk plot that kept me interested. Plus Noomi Rapace did an excellent job in her supporting role.
Oh that reminds me, I ended up really enjoying Tropic Thunder, I didn't realize it would be so satirical about Hollywood and all. Very clever, a good time.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I thought I'd really hate Ted, expecting it to be another generic raunchy lowbrow comedy with the same low quality as the later Family Guy seasons, but it turned out to be a lot funnier (and more heartfelt) than I thought it would. Plus, a lot of the raunchy gags work thanks to the context, timing, and delivery.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought I'd really hate Ted, expecting it to be another generic raunchy lowbrow comedy with the same low quality as the later Family Guy seasons, but it turned out to be a lot funnier (and more heartfelt) than I thought it would. Plus, a lot of the raunchy gags work thanks to the context, timing, and delivery.
What really makes that movie work is that it had heart in it, and we had full fledged character relationships. Where as Family Guy's decline was basically seeing how far the envelope could be pushed, and dealing with the desensitization of the viewer when they come to expect the same AIDS joke over and over. That, and the characters in Ted weren't over the top abusive to each other. I expected to like it, myself, but I didn't expect it to be that good.

Kinda makes you wonder why they don't try making the Griffins likable instead of the incessant and escalatingly annoying Meg jokes.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I thought Black Swan was going to be some dumb ballet drama but it turned out to be a really good psychological thriller. Did it deserve the hype? Nyeh. But it was still good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm the opposite. I really liked the movie until I found out it was a ripoff of Perfect Blue. The director can call it an homage all day, he still borrowed so heavily from it that you can say it was the only Satashi Kon movie that actually won an Oscar.