Moving ears?

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
I know there may have already been a post that covers this topic, but here I go anyway. I have been asked to construct a puppet that has both blinking eyes and moving ears. I am clear on the blinking eyes, but I don't want too much clutter inside the head of this particular character. Anybody have any pointers on an easy way to add moving ears?:concern:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Have you read Figure Making Can Be Fun by Michael Brose? It's probably the best book on making specific types of mechs and a great investment. The designs have to be modified slightly to work with foam puppets, but the book explains the basic principles involved. I don't have my copy handy but *I think* it describes a moving ear mechanism.

MGov

Reaction score
What are the ears going to look like and how do you want them to move?

JDAmato

Reaction score
I just posted a simple eye-blink post in my blog (which I posted in the forums yesterday) which may spark some ideas for the eye-blink. In terms of ear movement...are we talking wiggling? bending? twitching? Regardless I am certain that this is absolutely possible without crowding your head (err...the puppets head).

http://jdamato.blogspot.com

muppetperson

Reaction score
The ears would have to be spring loaded, with a cable(or string) going from ear to ear, and then a string joining at the center and going down so you can pull it from the bottom.You pull down and the ears will pull in and you let the spring bring them back in place.Just keep pulling and letting go for continuing ear wiggling.

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
Thanks

Have you read Figure Making Can Be Fun by Michael Brose? It's probably the best book on making specific types of mechs and a great investment. The designs have to be modified slightly to work with foam puppets, but the book explains the basic principles involved. I don't have my copy handy but *I think* it describes a moving ear mechanism.
I really do need to break down and get a copy of that book. I appreacite you reminding me about it. Also, thanks to all of those who have posted ideas on the ear movement.:rolleyes: