Mr. Big

ssetta

Reaction score
Scooter_101, if you are reading this, I would assume you remember this character named Mr. Big. He was from the 1991-92 season. I think he only ever appeared in that one episode, where someone would come and they needed something, like when Roxy Marie asked Gina for a pencil, Mr. Big got him this pencil that was enormous. He kept bringing in all these big things, until Gina got mad at the end, saying that they don't have room for that stuff. It's actually on 123 Sesame Street from Season 25. But it looks like it was originally from season 23. I noticed that when they opened the street scene after the theme, it was actually the newer calypso opening intro theme. But at the end, it used the original harmonica closing theme music. Do you remember this show, or how that was originally constructed?

Also, I wonder if Mr. Big was a parody of anything, or if he was ever used again. I don't think he was. I think there was a movie called Mr. Big, and there was a rock group called Mr. Big, who were well-known at that time, for their song "To Be With You," pretty much their only hit ever. Maybe that's why they never used him again, because nobody has ever heard of what he's a parody of?

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
Yes I do remember that episode, from both Season 23, and when they remade it in Season 25. That was the only appearance of Mr. Big. I don't know why they just didn't make him a regular on the show. But he probably wouldn't have lasted for more than a few seasons, because of the fact he was a one note charachter. I'm pretty sure Jerry Nelson did his voice, because he sounded a lot like Mumford.

scarecroe

Reaction score
LOL, and here I was thinking you were talking about the group who sang "Hold on little girl, show me what he's done to you... stand up little girl, a broken heart can't be that bad, it's true, it's true, fate can ___ the both of you. So come on baby, come on over, let me be the one to show you. I'm the one who wants to be with you. Deep inside I hope you feel it too. Livin on a line of green and blue, just to be the next to be with you!"

LOL, I can't believe I just did all that :big_grin:

ssetta

Reaction score
Okay, scarecroe, that is a great song, and I am impressed that you remembered all those lyrics, but again, that's a little off the subject. I just wanted to know if he could have possibly been a parody of that group, or something else with that name.

And also, do you remember what was different about it in the Season 23 version? Like did it have the original theme music, were any of the inserts different, or what the original show number was?

Jackie

Reaction score
LOL!!! I remember that episode! He liked everything big! That cracked me up!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this character could have been used more times on the show. I mean, from everything I've heard, he could've supplied all the worldly possessions in the Snuffle-Upagus' cave. What with giant toothbrushes and boxes of crayons, he would've been kept in a wealthy regular employment by Snuffy's family.

The Count.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Sesame Street's All-Star 25th Birthday: Stars and Street's Forever, there is a clip where Oscar was in a huge trash can, holding up big pieces of trash, and singing a variation of I Love Trash. Did Mr. Big give Oscar this big trash can, or could this have been the result of somethign else (like magic)?

ssetta

Reaction score
Wow! I can't believe someone would revive a thread that hasn't been replied to in 5 years!

But anyway, Oscar was never seen in that one episode. Interestingly enough, in one of the scenes in the store where Gina was so mad, Mr. Handford came in and politely explained to Mr. Big that they don't need all those big things in the store, and they take up too much room. And I think Mr. Handford asked him where he could put everything, and Mr. Big said he'd get a big trash can. And then Mr. Handford said "NO! That would only be something else big." He never actually did get a big trash can. But that clip you saw was probably from another episode.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
The clip with Oscar in the big Trash Can is from the early 1980's You can tell by the look of Oscar and Telly.