Mr. Featherbee

Convincing John

Reaction score
I guess this post could go under "TV Appearances" or "Puppetry", but I'll post it here.

I was wondering if anyone else remembered the puppet I saw during the 80's on "TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes" with Dick Clark and Ed McMahon. I watched that show a lot, and once in a great while they'd show Wilkins Coffee commercials.

Well, one time ('85...maybe in '86) they had a segment with some bloopers from a kid's puppet show called "Mr. Featherbee" (sp?). He was a hand puppet with "real" hands like Ernie's or Rowlf's, and he was kind of an old man puppet that resembled the "Time in A Bottle" scientist on TMS, only not so ancient looking, but still with the hair just around the edges.

They showed some clips of the character messing up his lines, and one clip I remember best was of him with a TV set:

Mr. Featherbee: "And now it's time for a cartoon..." (he tries to turn the knob on the TV, but he can't get a grip on the knob). "Wait a minute...whoops...whoops...oop...turned it off again..." (turns to camera and rubs his thumb and index finger together) "It's these fuzzy fingers, kids..."

When the clips were done, Mr. Featherbee appeared on the show with Dick Clark and as Clark introduced the puppeteers, Mr. Featherbee looked underneath him and said "C'mon up here, you guys!" The puppeteers rose up and took a bow.

I have no idea who the puppeteers were, nor do I remember anything about the show. I'm not even sure how to correctly spell "Featherbee". I just remember these bloopers. Does anyone remember this guy? Or can someone at least point me to a site of obscure puppets from the 80's that might have info on him?

Convincing John