Mr. Hooper, bar none.

ReoRogerz

Reaction score
No doubt, Big Bird finds out that Mr. Hooper died and isn't coming back. I was almost 5 at the time, and my parents told me that he had died long before that episode aired, and we were shocked when Big Bird took the picture out that he drew of him and showed it to the adults. We didn't think that this was going to be discussed on the show. It was Thanksgiving weekend, when they knew that the parents would be home with the kids to explain the concept and I remember watching that with my parents and the three of us were numb after the cameras craned away and that video of the water going down a flower showed. We had the chills after seeing that segment. Seeing Big Bird heart broken while the adults are legitimately fighting back tears is just spellbinding. When Gordon consulted him, it looked as if he was talking to his own kid. It was amazing. A couple years ago, I was looking through all my old tapes for something, and I was shocked to see that we had that segment on tape. I put it in and when it was over, I was crying. Almost 20 years later, it's just as powerful. It's AMAZING how Jim Hensen made a puppet so realistic. It was beautifully done and it has to be the biggest tearjerker ever. Everybody else’s moments are 100% understandable, but this does it for me.

Speaking of Jim, I didn't cry when I heard he passed, but MAN did that kill me. Sammy Davis Jr. died the same day, and that wasn't a surprise because we knew that he was very ill and his time had come. But then, right after the reporter announced his death, he tells us that Jim Hensen died of ammonia. I felt a huge BOOM go into my heart. It was just a shock because nobody saw it coming and it broke my heart that he was no longer with us. I was in fifth grade, 11 years old, and I had outgrown Sesame Street, but I was still a HUGE Muppets fan and always loved anything Hensen did. When I heard the news, right then I knew that the films, Sesame Street, the TV shows, Kermit, and the Muppets in general would never be same. The magic was gone. And it still is. And who can forget during that Jim Hensen tribute after the Muppets read the news that Jim had died and after they sing a song, Kermit, shown for the first time since Jim's death, is looking through a door and walks out and starts talking? Only the voice is completely different. It further cemented the fact that nothing would ever be the same. Jim's been gone for almost 13 years now, and I still miss him like crazy. Whoever thought of this topic, great idea, wish I thought of it. If you've hung in there this whole time to read all of this, thanks. Hey, if any of you want to talk at length sometime, send me an IM, my AOL screen name is ReoRogerz. Later.

ReoRogerz

Reaction score
Yes it was. Unfortunately, I made a mistake and clicked 'new thread' instead of 'post reply.'

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i saw mr. hooper and bar in the same sentence and started to worry....:wink:

i need to get out more

Sarah

ReoRogerz

Reaction score
Actually Sarah, Mr. Hooper running a bar? That might be pretty cool now that I think of it, who knows.

Eric, I have no idea who wrote that segment, but if you do, let me know. I'm guessing that Jim Hensen wrote the Mr. Hooper segment, but I'm not positive.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Might be Caroll Spinney!:cry: :cry: :cry: I wish he was on when I was born:cry:
(dont ask why:attitude: )
from
BARRY LEE

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I know what you mean. I was pretty young when he died so I don't remember too many episodes with him (other than Christmas Eve on Sesame Street). I've also seen him in Sesame Street books.