Mr. Hooper death episode

mikebennidict

Reaction score
the episode about the passing of him was a very interesting one. i don't know what anyone the target age thought witch i wasn't at the time but i certainly found it very interesing. but interestingly enough, this wasn't the 1st time such an episode of a kids show was done. in 1974 8-9 years prior to the passing of Will Lee and the SS episode that aired on the original Zoom series there was such an episode.there was either a producer or consultant for the show by the name of Dr. Keith Carlson who died in an auto accident. and while i myself did watch the original Zoom, i rememebr very little about it and do not recall this 1. but in 1 episode, and i don't know if this was a whole half hr. episode or just 1 segment of an episode, the zoomers all sat down to talk about Dr. Carlson and what he meant to them and the show. getting back to the Mr. Hooper episode while i don't know if the people at the CTW had this Zoom episode in mind and if so compared to Zoom, the CTW had a lot more to contend with since SS is aimed at pre-schoolers. and reading the 1998 SSU book they had to decided how best to deal with the topic of death and present it to it's audience witch was why it probably took a whole year before this episode was aired. also here's a link to where he's burried.http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7053049&pt=Will Lee

mikealan

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
the episode about the passing of him was a very interesting one. i don't know what anyone the target age thought witch i wasn't at the time but i certainly found it very interesing. but interestingly enough, this wasn't the 1st time such an episode of a kids show was done. in 1974 8-9 years prior to the passing of Will Lee and the SS episode that aired on the original Zoom series there was such an episode.there was either a producer or consultant for the show by the name of Dr. Keith Carlson who died in an auto accident. and while i myself did watch the original Zoom, i rememebr very little about it and do not recall this 1. but in 1 episode, and i don't know if this was a whole half hr. episode or just 1 segment of an episode, the zoomers all sat down to talk about Dr. Carlson and what he meant to them and the show. getting back to the Mr. Hooper episode while i don't know if the people at the CTW had this Zoom episode in mind and if so compared to Zoom, the CTW had a lot more to contend with since SS is aimed at pre-schoolers. and reading the 1998 SSU book they had to decided how best to deal with the topic of death and present it to it's audience witch was why it probably took a whole year before this episode was aired. also here's a link to where he's burried.http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7053049&pt=Will Lee
Well, I need #1839 where Mr. Hooper died. There's gotta be a way to find someone else who has it besides SSetta, Boober, and Gbrobeck!

P

Philo and Gunge

mikealan said:
Well, I need #1839 where Mr. Hooper died. There's gotta be a way to find someone else who has it besides SSetta, Boober, and Gbrobeck!
I have this episode and Chelli'sPal will be getting it from me.

mikealan

Reaction score
Philo and Gunge said:
I have this episode and Chelli'sPal will be getting it from me.
Thanks, Philo & Gunge! I'd love to get the copy of that for the SSU trade! :flirt:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i thought i'd mention some Mr. hooper moments i rememeber. i'll list 1 for now. when his brother came to visit. a couple of different times. wonder what the name of the actor was who played his brother? also rememebr the 321 contact episode when the Bloodhound Gang saw his stolen muumy and they were kidnapped by the robbers. one of the men was the same man who played Mr. Hooper's brother.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
rememebr theese 2 Hooper skits? 1 was he was showing a book and i can't recall what it was title but it had a lot of old pictures of N.Y.C. when he was small and sang this song that went like, when i was little as you are and discribing things in his youth in the song. it was probably the beast Mr. Hooper moment on SS. another was from an 1980 episode i believe when Luis was remodeling his fix it shop and everyone was helping out and Hooper made lunch for everyone and they said they were too bust to eat, and he comes out of the store saying, they gotta eat. then he tells this story of when he was a kid that he was at a park with his father and his dad brought along this sandwich for him and Hooper would rather skate. but then he got tired and finally sat down to eat. while he didn't finish the sandwich, he ate enough of it where he had the energy to state again. and after hooper was done telling the story Luis and everyone else got tired and they came out to eat.

Censored

Reaction score
There are a few Mr. Hooper segments that I remember from years ago.

One very funny one was where Big Bird had an extra nest and he kept showing it to Mr. Hooper. Someone else was there, I believe it was Maria. Anyway, at some point, Maria gets the idea that Big Bird made the nest for Mr. Hooper. She whispers to Hooper that he should pretend like he likes it so as not to hurt Big Bird's feelings. So Mr. Hooper reluctantly sits in the nest, only to hear Big Bird tell him that the nest was for a bird relative of his. "People, don't have nests, Mr. Looper." "Hooper, Hooper", replies Mr. Hooper as he sits in the nest feeling silly.

Another skit involved a flashback of when Gordon was a little boy and he accidentally broke one of Mr. Hooper's jars with his baseball. Of course, it was all about forgiveness and understanding (Skits like that were probably more directed towards parents than children).

Other segments included Mr. Hooper going to the hospital, graduating from high school, and doing a fast motion skit with chairs.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
there were 2 episodes at different times about Hooper being in the Hospital one where he felled and hurt his arm, and an earlier one where he was in for something. this must have been from at least 1976 because olivia came on that year and she came by with some of the kids and she took a picture of him and the kids. i think the episode was repeated again a year or 2 later. what was he in for? i rememeber seeing Hooper getting his high school deploma and remeber when he was going to make a speech and the lady said Harold -ooper. can't rememeber how she mispronouced his name and Big Bird shouted it's Hooper! Hooper! interesing episode. too bad i and others would of been too young to understand it. sometimes i've wondered about the things they've done on SS over the years the only people who would of understood episodes like Hooper's getting his deploma were the grown ups or older kids watching with the young ones. anyone know why Mr. Hooper didn't finish high school in the 1st place?

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
There isn't a lot I remember about Mr. Hooper, cause he died when I was only about 2 years old. I do Vaguley remember the episode of his death. I only remember 2 things about him that weren't on Noggin. One was when he was with Forgetful Jones, and he gave him a Gingerbread Man with Only one leg. and Forgetful asked for one that had both legs, and Mr. Hooper gave him one. I was telling a friend of mine who is 2 years older than me about this one, and he said he rememebers it clearly. Another thing I remember is Mr. Hooper had 10 Ice Cream Sundaes in the store lined up on the counter and he was counting them.

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
there were 2 episodes at different times about Hooper being in the Hospital one where he felled and hurt his arm, and an earlier one where he was in for something. this must have been from at least 1976 because olivia came on that year and she came by with some of the kids and she took a picture of him and the kids. i think the episode was repeated again a year or 2 later. what was he in for? i rememeber seeing Hooper getting his high school deploma and remeber when he was going to make a speech and the lady said Harold -ooper. can't rememeber how she mispronouced his name and Big Bird shouted it's Hooper! Hooper! interesing episode. too bad i and others would of been too young to understand it. sometimes i've wondered about the things they've done on SS over the years the only people who would of understood episodes like Hooper's getting his deploma were the grown ups or older kids watching with the young ones. anyone know why Mr. Hooper didn't finish high school in the 1st place?
I think I saw the earlier one. I don't remember what he was in the hospital for, but I don't think it was anything serious. When Mr. Hooper got his diploma, Big Bird somehow lost the speech he was supposed to give, but Mr. Hooper wound up making a better one about the people from Sesame Street being a family to him. At that time, a lot of people from his generation hadn't finished high school, either because they had to work to support their families or because it just wasn't viewed as being as important in their day. Several sitcoms showed older people getting their G.E.D.

I was around 6 or 7 when I saw that episode and I didn't completely understand it either, but I remember enjoying it anyway. As someone said about the state of children's programming today, "It's better that children understand 50% of a witty and entertaining show than understand 100% of twaddle." I couldn't agree more.