Mr. Hooper info from those of you who knew him

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I was wondering if some of you who were watching the show in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's could tell me a little more about Mr. Hooper. I was fortunate enough to see him finally for the first time when the old episodes were being played on Noggin a few years back. But as far as my childhood of seeing him every day I just missed him. I do however remember an episode where a new kid moved to Sesame Street who never got to meet Mr. Hooper and Big Bird told him all about him. I remember I felt like Big Bird was not only talking to him, but to me too. Does anyone remember any Memorable Mr. Hooper moments from the show? Does anyone remember his relationships with certain Muppets and how he reacted to them. For example how he reacted to The Count's Counting, Mumford's Magic, or Dr. Nobel Price's inventions. Any help on this subject would be appreciated from you Sesame Veterans.

superfan

Reaction score
He reminded me of a grandfather in many ways...soft spoken, kind, generous and patient(far more so than Bob; Bob got so easily annoyed!) with the antics of various muppets. He had a soft spot for Big Bird despite the fact he never got his name right. I wonder if he and Carroll Spinney had a true friendship off screen. He also had a fun side that allowed him to come out and dance or sing in various sketches. I read somewhere that he had absolutely no sense of rythm or timing, but good for him to have fun with it all. He must have died a very happy man.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
another flashback episode

There was an episode from the 29th season where an art collector was looking for art made by birds. Big Bird started making some paintings, and this art collector (a bird) came to Big Birds nest area. The only artwork Big Bird did that this collector was interrested in was the drawing of Mr. Hooper that Big Bird drew after Mr. Hooper died. However, Big Bird refused to sell this painting, even when he was offered a thousand bags of birdseed (he later said that he wouldn't even sell it for a million bags). Big Bird eventually told the art collector about Mr. Hooper, and some clips of Mr. Hooper were shown. This art collector didn't know that Mr. Hooper was a real person.

If you want to see something with Mr. Hoope, I suggest you buy or rent Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
There was an episode from the 29th season where an art collector was looking for art made by birds. Big Bird started making some paintings, and this art collector (a bird) came to Big Birds nest area. The only artwork Big Bird did that this collector was interrested in was the drawing of Mr. Hooper that Big Bird drew after Mr. Hooper died. However, Big Bird refused to sell this painting, even when he was offered a thousand bags of birdseed (he later said that he wouldn't even sell it for a million bags). Big Bird eventually told the art collector about Mr. Hooper, and some clips of Mr. Hooper were shown. This art collector didn't know that Mr. Hooper was a real person.

If you want to see something with Mr. Hoope, I suggest you buy or rent Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.
Yes, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is an excellent source. He has a whole subplot with Bert and Ernie. :frown: :stick_out_tongue:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Mr. Looper ("That's HOOPER, Big Bird, HOOPER!")

Mr.Hooper, (played by Will Lee), was, and still is, a true icon of Sesame Street. He didn't have to do much acting, because the person you saw on the screen was pretty much who he was off the screen. He loved kids. If you watch the "This is the street we live on" episode, where Grover is showing Elmo the Sesame Street of Yesterday, you will see a short clip of him comming out of his store with a few kids and lifting one of them up to turn the handle that brings down the roll-out shade. That scene, in a nut shell, gives you a good idea off who and what he was: kind, gentle, loving, tolerant, and a grandfather to all. At the time of his death, they decided to make a special episode where they would break the news to Big Bird. If you ever see that episode, you will see the other actors with tears on their faces and with voices breaking as they tell big bird Mr. Hooper wont be comming back. From what I have read about it, not a single actor who cried was fakeing it. Those tears were all real. And when that episode aired, there were hundreds, possibly thousands, of people who cried with them. (I know I did.) That is how much of an impact he had on people. I remember him well and miss him very much. :cry:

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Mr.Hooper, (played by Will Lee), was, and still is, a true icon of Sesame Street. He didn't have to do much acting, because the person you saw on the screen was pretty much who he was off the screen. He loved kids. If you watch the "This is the street we live on" episode, where Grover is showing Elmo the Sesame Street of Yesterday, you will see a short clip of him comming out of his store with a few kids and lifting one of them up to turn the handle that brings down the roll-out shade. That scene, in a nut shell, gives you a good idea off who and what he was: kind, gentle, loving, tolerant, and a grandfather to all. At the time of his death, they decided to make a special episode where they would break the news to Big Bird. If you ever see that episode, you will see the other actors with tears on their faces and with voices breaking as they tell big bird Mr. Hooper wont be comming back. From what I have read about it, not a single actor who cried was fakeing it. Those tears were all real. And when that episode aired, there were hundreds, possibly thousands, of people who cried with them. (I know I did.) That is how much of an impact he had on people. I remember him well and miss him very much. :cry:
The most classic and groundbreaking episodes in the show's history. That scene that was aired was also the first (and maybe only) take. They were all true tears, including Big Bird's.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Mr. Hooper was everybody's Grandpa, and Will Lee must have really enjoyed
his role very much.

Will Lee the actor was blackballed during the 1950's, accused of being a Communist Sympathizer, and had people like Senator Joseph McCarthy pointing fingers at him and claiming he was a "subversive influence".

It must've been satisfying for Lee, who hadn't been able to act for almost two decades, to be able to come out of exile and find a home on the happiest street on Earth. :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yes, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is an excellent source. He has a whole subplot with Bert and Ernie. :frown: :stick_out_tongue:
I have to agree. That's actually the only time I can remember seeing Mr. Hooper other than books or stuff like that. I would like to have had a chance to see him interact with other characters besides Bert and Ernie.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I know what you mean Daffyfan. You and I are around the same age so we were both in that age bracket where we "just missed" Mr. Hooper, just like the adults always just missed Snuffy. LOL

mikebennidict

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Mr. Hooper was everybody's Grandpa, and Will Lee must have really enjoyed
his role very much.

Will Lee the actor was blackballed during the 1950's, accused of being a Communist Sympathizer, and had people like Senator Joseph McCarthy pointing fingers at him and claiming he was a "subversive influence".

It must've been satisfying for Lee, who hadn't been able to act for almost two decades, to be able to come out of exile and find a home on the happiest street on Earth. :smile:
you know I remember you mentioning this at YL and I'm wondering where did you find that out?