MSNBC: Old School Sesame DVD's not for kids

Drtooth

Reaction score
heralde said:
What bothers me is the idea of advising parents that it's not viewable for their kids. It just sounds like the usual over-protectiveness we have nowadays. The idea that kids "can't handle" certain things. Kids are tougher and much smarter than society seems to think.
Society is screwed up more because of these activists. I mean, one kid in the middle of nowhere in a trailer park sets his house on fire because they saw Bevis and Butthead do it. Now all the sudden, the large sweep of "Blame everyone but ourselves" ensues. Now look at the health food craze! These people want to abolish junk food and junk food advertisements because they don't want their kids getting fat, or at the very least, acting up at the store. It has nothing to do with anyone else being fat. These people want to ruin everything because they don't know how to raise their own kids. If you can't raise your own dang children, what gives you the right to raise everyone else's? I've been on this pulpit for a long time, and it scares me more than cancer that I have to deal with people like this someday.

I mean, this is clearly like all those stupid Amazon.com reviews for Born to Add or something that says, "I bought this for my 11 month old son, and he isn't interrested in it!" Well... if you want to entertain an 11 month old child, stuff a sock with other socks, dangle it from a stick, and put it above his head, just out of reach. You can mystify him for HOURS.

What worked for children of the past may not work as well for children of today, but I think that's pretty much B.S. plain and simple.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I saw an review somewhere of a parent who bought a DVD for a one-year-old and complained the kid didn't seem interested. One-year-old really is too young!

Maybe older entertainment doesn't always work for today's kids. But I think that's our fault, not the entertainment. Decent entertainment shouldn't be the one to change.

Drtooth

Reaction score
heralde said:
I saw an review somewhere of a parent who bought a DVD for a one-year-old and complained the kid didn't seem interested. One-year-old really is too young!
I know first time parenting has its foibles and mishaps... but a one year old not being interrested in TV may be a good thing. I can't wait for the Baby Einstien generation to grow up being extreemly stupid and fat and lazy to prove the wannabe parents of overachievers wrong.

I mean, a one year old kid won't be interrested in things, because one year olds want to run around and explore their world. That's why they invented playpens. For the time that parents can't be with the child due to chores or a phone call.

I can remeber one review that said one sketch was outdated because of the clothes. uh. I guess this was ment to distinguish people who are familiar with Sesame Street from random parents that don't care, and think it's a form of Baby entertainment.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, there are people who see Sesame Street and just think "Oh kiddie stuff!"

I think the clothes thing is just thinking too much, kids aren't going to notice if clothes are out of style. :rolleyes: While Sesame Street can reach all ages, some parents should realize these things are for the kids, not them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just had a revelation... maybe that'swhy they say it's not for kids. So some first time parent doesn't buy the set to sit their kids down in front of, so they can complain their 5 month old isn't interrested.

Maybe the warning isn't: This isn't appropriate for kids.

maybe it's : This wasn't intended for kids. Buy the Elmo's World ones. they lvoe those.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, kids would love Sesame Street the way it used to be too. Many already do. I don't know why the company seems so determined to hide it.

And again, you'll never see me buying an Elmo's World DVD for my children. If I did, well, my kids might be popular with their friends, but they would be missing out on a lot.

Having said that, I'm going to stop complaining for awhile and just look foward to seeing the DVD. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
heralde said:
Well, kids would love Sesame Street the way it used to be too. Many already do. I don't know why the company seems so determined to hide it.
As I've stated, the reason is that, while there are many people out there that know what SS is about, most first time parents just throw their pre-toddlers in front of the TV, and complain if they don't sit mezmerized for an hour. I mean... babies and toddlers run around a lot. They aren't interrested in staring at any talking glowing box for more than 5 minutes.

I mean, they are trying to distinguish the collectors and adult fan bases, allong with their parents that show their 4 and 5 year old classic SS, from people who just associate it with Baby entertainment.

I hate that mindset, especially since they lump the other Muppets into that category.