1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

MSTies unite!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsmanfan, Apr 28, 2011.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Lola p

Lola p Well-Known Member

Just recently started watching MST3k ( about 2 weeks ago) Wow....

The show.... Holy mother of frog... How do I described it?

It's just so awsome... And now I am singing the Canada song...
  2. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I always loved when MST3k showed those cheesy educational shorts from the 50's. One of my favorites was "A Young Man's Fancy". I especially laughed out loud when the guys made a fool out of that whiny teenager during her phone conversation.

"Yeah, that's nice, but ma'am, I'm just trying to sell my magazines here".
  3. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

-------------
    "Mr B Natural" and the one about hygiene and grooming are the BEST. Ya know they released a dvd or two of nothing but shorts!

Watched "San Francisco Intl" last night for the first time in decades. I'd forgot all the amazingly hilarious "this is all your fault, Davey" jokes that just pile up so fast I was almost out of breath laughing so hard... and the Tab Hunter riffs. (How many Tab jokes does it take to fill a scene?) and URKEL! "I've never thought Urkel was all that funny..."

Next up (again)..."Attack of the Giant Leeches!" "You go on, I'll catch up...waitaminute, that ain't right..."
    -------------
  4. Mo Frackle

Haven't seen all of the episodes, but from what I understand "Monster A Go-Go" was actually edited from several different films, and didn't actually have a monster in it. Is this right?
  5. newsmanfan

------------
    I'll have to check about the several-diff-films part, but yes there is a monster...sort of. If you can call a mutated astronaut who suddenly vanishes at the movie's end with NO explanation at all a monster, then...yeah.

When I went to the second MST Conventio-con-expo-fest-a-rama, my husband at the time dressed as the Monster a-go-go! I carried a tape deck playing that annoying whistle music as his theme. We were completely upstaged by the Parade of Torgos, though...
    ---------------
  6. Mo Frackle

While were on the topic of riffing, has anybody seen any "Rifftrax" or "Cinematic Titanic" commentaries? The only ones I've seen in full so far are "Swing Parade" (the original solo version) and "Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny" (more of a slow-moving nightmare than a movie). Otherwise, I've only seen clips of other riffs. But I love that these guys are poking fun at overrated movies. As for Cinematic Titanic, there's so many bad, obscure B-movies out there, so I don't think these guys will ever run out of material.
  7. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

:crazy:: Did someone say "a real BANG up job?"
    :news:: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ***KABLOOEY***
    Sorry but I couldn't help myself there. MST3K is AWESOME! I might buy a few DVDs of it sometime soon. I think I saw a few reruns on TV some years ago, and I really had no idea of what I was watching, but it was hilarious!
  8. newsmanfan

Yeah, I own a few of each. The Rifftrax ripping "Jurassic Park" a new one is HILARIOUS and features Weird Al Yankovic as the guest riffer with Mike! And agree with you on "Santa & Ice Cream Bunny," which has to be one of the weirdest things ANY of the guys have ever riffed in any of their ventures. And yes I am including "Santa Claus vs the Martians" in that assessment!

Am considering going with my buddy Marty to the Rifftrax live show next week. Have to find out how much tix are and what's in my bank acct...but I've never been to one of these (outside of the live shows at the MST conventions) and have heard they're absolutely boss.
    ---------------------
  9. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Hey guys, I just read that believe this or not, but... Do you remember the cult classic Manos: The Hands of Fate?
    Sally Struthers voice: Sure, we all do.
    Well, have you ever wondered what it would be like if the new MST cast had watched the movie instead? You don't have to, because Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett are joining forces as the RiffTrax gang to revisit an old friend. If that old friend is one who drinks all your beer and always hits you up for money. This one-time one-night only presentation will take place at participating theaters on August 16 2012 at 8 PM EST. Yes, that's just one week from tonight, right now.

Unfortunately, I can't find out if a theater near me will be part of the promotion airing the live RiffTrax event. But if someone here—I'm looking at you newsmanfan—does end up going and manages to snag a digital copy of the presentation, please let us know how it went. And if we can do some tape trading business.

*Leaves to fill Little Mermaid bowl with assortment of M&M candies.
  10. newsmanfan

-------------
    Even if I don't go, my buddy Marty may *coughcoughpiratecoughcough* be able to snag a copy of the proceedings anyway...

But yeah. I'd absolutely like to. Although I fear it just won't be the same without delivery from Torgo's Pizza!
    -----------------
    The Count likes this.
  11. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

Sorry to be joining the party so late. MST is my favorite thing in the world. I own about 35 episodes on VHS and DVD. My two favorites are Time of the Apes and The Brain That Wouldn't Die. Re: Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic: I've seen two of each:

Rifftrax: Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny (though the songs are pretty catchy and the Riffers make a rare Dark Crystal reference) and Plan 9 From Outer Space, which I'll just say it: I don't think the film is all that bad. The two worst films I've ever seen were both MST films: Racket Girls and The Starfighters (I forget who said that Starfighters was the worst one, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that.)

CT: Danger on Tiki Island and The Wasp Woman.
  12. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I have the Jurassic Park and the Transformers 1 tracks. They were hilarious.
  13. newsmanfan

-----------
    I'll need to see "Transformers" then. I also would love the whole "Twilight" series; I know they've done the first two. If EVER a movie deserved to be ripped a new one!!

I may have to go see the live Riffs by myself...nuts. Marty's working that night. But I'd still like to experience it firsthand. Will let you guys know what happens...

---------------
  14. newsmanfan

----------------
    Got my tix for Rifftrax: Manos! Will let you guys know how it was, for anyone unable to attend in your area. Uh, that would be the non-MST-specific sort of "area."

Rewatched the MST "Manos" last night. I'd forgot just how friggin LONG those endless boring-scenery shots out of the car were! And my brain had somehow blocked just...how...awful...the whole "film" (and I use the word loosely) really really is. This MUST have been Tommy Wiseau's inspiration for...well...living!
    ---------------
  15. newsmanfan

------------
    Rifftrax Live: "Manos, the Hands of Fate" was wonderful!!! They're doing another in October: "Birdemic" -- the clips they showed look phenomenally awful in a so-low-budget-even-Syfy-won't-touch-it way! Can't wait!

There was a slide show playing on the screen when I came in before the actual show, with "movie quotes" and "movie haiku" and so on, hilarious stuff. Samples:

"Just leave the baby near the dingo cave. C'mon, the beer's getting cold." -- A Cry in the Dark

plot for next Die Hard film: Bruce Willis sends a bad guy into ComicCon wearing a t-shirt that says, "I think Firefly is overrated."

Joss.
    Whedon.
    (hold for thunderous applause) -- and everyone DID! was hilarious!

Haiku for Transformers 2:
    No no no no no
    No no no no no no no
    No no no no no.

Haiku for Manos:
    Manos: Hands of Fate
    You paid money to see this
    What is wrong with you??

The guys were shown live onstage from Nashville, with a blownup painting from the Master's home behind them and some devil dogs. They received pizza from Torgo, of course, and did a shoutout for some local filmmakers making "Manos, the Hands of Fate II: Return to Valley Lodge". (Yeeek!) Then they had two absolutely hysterical shorts:

"Welcome Home, Norman" -- apparently intended to be a short comic piece from the '70s, it portrays a buttoned-up-70s-style salesman coming back to his hometown airport and trying to navigate the parking lot. The guys ripped it so many new holes it probably is on life support right now, from mocking Norman's "catchphrase" (Uuuunnnnnnngh!) to slamming every single thing that Norman did.

"At Your Fingertips: Cylinders" -- another educational short from the late 60s or early 70s. Lots of long, soundless footage of little kids making things with glue, paper, and cardboard tubes. Some absolutely hysterical riffs on this one, including a Catherine the Great joke. Must be seen to be believed!

"Manos" itself, I have to admit, was not riffed as wonderfully as in the original MST ep...but for being all-new and original, they did good. Highlights were the "White Trash Twilight Sketch" where Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy gave the perpetually-necking couple in "Manos" lines a white trash version of the characters from "Twilight" might sound like...rapidfire and hilarious, and I think the line "When are you gonna move that washin' machine outta the front yard?" "Why don't you get onea yore werewolfs ta do it?" was when I lost my voice from laughing so hard. Sometimes they simply played the movie, with the guys' voices overdubbed, and sometimes they showed a splitscreen, with Mike, Kevin, and Bill shown on one side and Manos on the other, and several times they didn't say ANYTHING...they just let the film run and stared at it like "Well???" -- which proved hysterical. Riffing by nonriffing! New technique! Kevin especially had a priceless look on his face at one point, waiting for the movie to DO something. He also sang, which was lovely -- man's still got a voice! Repeated uses of the joke "Uh...LINE?" and "Actors to the set, please..." worked well.

Am hoping this one will be released on their site...am sure bootlegs already abound. It was hilarious and well worth the money to see. I encourage anyone considering the next show to go! :)
    --------------
  16. Lola p

Lola p Well-Known Member

SQUUUEEE!

My mom just told me that she will get tickets for me and her to go To the rifftraxs birdemic in October! WOOHOO!

And by the way, just curious....

Anyone got any fan couples they like?

*runs speedily out of thread*
  17. newsmanfan

------------
    Er...fan couples? Am I missing a joke here? Are there famous MSTies who shacked up and now go by Tracelina or something?

Wish Cinematic Titanic would tour more. I know they just did a live show in LA, but hey, I can't GET to LA...why not a simulcast like Rifftrax does?
    ---------------
  18. Mo Frackle

MST3K Playstation Underground. Also includes some behind the scenes footage.
  19. newsmanfan

------------
    "The lady's dead, right?" LOL!
    And a Mentos joke! Surprised they didn't go for an Estelle reference...

Aha, the Best Brains Studio. I was able to take the tour of it during the second MST convention. Neat place. Thanks for posting this Mo!

------------
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  20. Mo Frackle

No problem.

Wow, really? You got to visit Best Brains? Do you remember enough of it to share your experiences there? I'd love to hear anything about it.