MT: Upstairs Downstairs vs. 39 Stairs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Which of the two Monsterpiece Theater segments invovling stairs do you liek better, "Upstairs, Downstairs" or "The 39 Stairs"?

Upstairs, Downstairs: http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_p...4b-11dd-8ea8-a3d2ac25b65b/upstairs_downstairs

The 39 Stairs:
http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_p...a74002d-1561-11dd-a62f-919b98326687/39_stairs

Both segments involve stairs, both are Monsterpiece Theater segments, both star Grover, and both end with Grover talking to Cookie Monster from off-camera.

I prefer Upstairs, Downstairs. I like the look of the set, including the living room set that wasn't used in other segments, and I like that a Dr. Teeth photo appears on the wall, and I like the music that plays during the beginning and end of the Upstairs, Downstairs portion.

Of course, I grew up with The 39 Stairs, while I don't really remember seeing Upstairs, Downstairs as a child. Though in the past few weeks I feel like I vaguely remember seeing a Monsterpiece Theater segment with the set used in this one. If I did then I probably did see it (I know it aired until at least season 20), unless there are actually other MT segments that use that set that we just don't know about (or if all video footage we have is of the redone opening/closing).

But for some reason as a child I didn't really like the ending when we hear Grover talking from off-camera. Not quite sure why, but I felt a bit startled by it. I have gotten to appreciate the segment more, though. Both segments are a visual delight to watch. I do like the cuts to Grover's shadow and feet, and have always liked watching Grover slide down the rail. This one seems to have a happier ending for Grover (sliding down the rail, as opposed to getting exhausted and learning that he had to do it again next time... and although he crashes on the floor, at least he got to rest). This one is probably a bit more impressive when it comes to Grover climbing the stairs. The cuts to feet and shadows are obviously done so they wouldn't have to make a long staircase.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh for me, definitely 39 Stairs! I grew up watching it when it was included on the Put Down the Duckie special. It also represents everything I always loved about Grover's humor, how frustrated and annoyed he gets when his demonstrations don't go their way. And how he always kind of blames some unseen person for ruining things ("Are you out of your mind!") LOL.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I think both are hilarious. And I do love the cameo appearance (of sorts) from Dr. Teeth in the "Upstairs Downstairs" sketch.:big_grin:
That makes at least 3 characters from The Muppet Show to have an appearance in some manner on Sesame Street- Dr. Teeth, Miss Piggy and Kermit obviously.:smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'd have to say 'The 39 Stairs.' I'm not exactly sure why. I guess I've seen that one more often and consider it to be more memorable.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Oops- can't believe I forgot one of The Muppet Show characters to be on Sesame Street- Rowlf!:sympathy:
Rowlf has made much more of a cameo with his "Song of 9" appearance and appearance in the pitch tape for Sesame Street- more so than Dr. Teeth or Miss Piggy. Dr. Teeth had his picture show up in a sketch and Miss Piggy had her picture show up in a sketch- and Kermit made at least one indirect reference to her in one of his NewFlash sketches.