MTV finally takes "Music" out of name

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not only did I see this coming seems like it took them years to realize this.

Now, I'm sure we've all heard the exact same rant about cable TV a billion times by now (MTV probably holds the dubious distinction of giving the finger to their niche market years ago), and all I can say us, if you're going to alienate the niche market, fess up to it. That and, what the heck them so long? They've been trying to edge out the music video since the 90's. it's nothing new, but at least the programs back then were semi-music related (Beavis and Butt-head heckled music videos for one thing). Now, they're big hits are "Jersey Hos"... er.. "Jersey Shore" (I'd love to hear what herald would have said about those Italian Stereotypes) and other reality Shows that would have to class it up 250% to be called trash, featuring people who make Beavis and Butt-head look like Well read nano-scientists. Maybe they'll have to explain the M now stands for "mung."

Rest assured, this isn't so much a rant as a Ha HA observation. Now all we need to do is wait for Cartoon Network to rebrand itself as the "Why oh Why didn't we create Hanna Montana and High School Musical Network!" :smirk:

PurpleHonker

Reaction score
Right? It couldn't have possibly taken them this long to realize that nothing about "music television" corresponded to the programs anymore. They must have some of their bright, wholesome reality stars running the show! :rolleyes:

Finally, there won't be the confusion between the name/description and what is actually seen. Now only the shows' questionable content will cause the confusion :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yeah - the lack of music on MTV has long been a major irritation of mine, but wow is it sad that it's now gotten to the point where MTV itself has officially taken the "music" out of its name - an admission that they're no longer even interested in TRYING anymore. Really a sad day.

The question now is what WILL the "M" stand for? I'm guessing the M&T will just stand for "Empty".

The music industry is at an all-time sad state right now but even still, the art form of the music video and the need for an original recipe MTV station is still present - i'd be chomping at the bit to pick up from that slack and start up a station focused on videos, concerts, music news/documentaries and music-based programming.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You Tube and the instant gratification of the internet in the area of music made MTV obsolete a long time ago, but that doesn’t mean they can find a way to keep it a music television network. It’s now a useless brand with reality programming. They don’t even have cool animation anymore. M stands for Mediocre, Middle-of-the-line, and Mundane. It’s a sad day. I no longer want my MTV. It's mutual. I'm not the age group they want anyway. :sleep: :boo:

APRena

Reaction score
So will it just be "Television" now? Even *that's* arguable... Is "Teen Mom" supposed to be a "This Could Be Your Future, Stupid Young People Who Sit Around Watching What Was Until Recently "Music" Television"-type thing or what? I don't see the point of filming them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They don’t even have cool animation anymore. M stands for Mediocre, Middle-of-the-line, and Mundane. It’s a sad day. I no longer want my MTV. It's mutual. I'm not the age group they want anyway. :sleep: :boo:
Don't forget the Mindless Mooks they Make flavors of the Month and the Moronic Masses that can't get enough of this Muck. Ah, nothing is More gratifying than Murdering Mental functions and Making Money off of it.

I really thing that MTV dropped the ball years ago, when they decided against simalcasting Invader Zim (the way they did with Ren and Stimpy in 1992, even airing episodes Nick didn't want to show)... Who knows. If they went directly for the older audience maybe they would have let Valzquez get away with murder, as he wanted to have the show end with the bloody death of Dib, the only way it could happen is if it wasn't a kid's show. Probably would have had a bigger audience too. Much better than CN's adult line up of ever tiring 80's pop culture references with once funny now pedestrian adult jokes.

And of course, let's not forget this country's sick obsession and addiction to reality TV. Reality TV is the televisual equivalent of a sweat shop... throw a little money at contestants, a little money at the non-union writers and stagehands... and you make a show that's guaranteed to make money, even if it is a flop. Now I understand what Traveling Matt means by silly creatures... I can see what he would have to say now:

"While every one of the Silly Creatures scoff and complain about these Reality Televisions, they seem to be enjoying them in the sense that they're not as bad off as the Silly Creatures they are watching. In fact, I'd say they enjoy it ironically, while they openly have nothing but bad things to say about it. How they became the dominant species, I'll never lnow!"

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'd put a link to a SuperNews! short about the subject of MTV's decline, but it's not really appropriate. Look it up on YouTube as "MTV Down".

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
As a member of the MTV Generation, I just have to say... what will the M mean now? Moot? Monstrosity?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Don't forget the Mindless Mooks they Make flavors of the Month and the Moronic Masses that can't get enough of this Muck. Ah, nothing is More gratifying than Murdering Mental functions and Making Money off of it.
As a member of the MTV Generation, I just have to say... what will the M mean now? Moot? Monstrosity?
And will Murray Monster present it as the letter of the day or will he Meander between replacing it with different letters as he rethinks the day? Will Don Music have to change his name or will he stick a feather in his cap and call it Macaroni? Is d.w. Mckim Mucking up this thread with his Muffining causing it to bear a striking resemblance to his Mercy Me thread?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I'm another one who grew up with MTV and while I haven't watched it in years because of it's extreme decline in any decent programming - I'm still so sad about this change. It's stupid. Just rename the entire channel instead of still calling it MTV. Also, did you know that VH1 originally stood for "Video Hits One"? Obviously that hasn't held true for many years either, but yet they've kept the name VH1. Both channels should just be merged into one and called GTV - Garbage Television. :grouchy: