1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Muppet Babies: Puppets vs. Cartoon

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by dwayne1115, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Which do you like better? (tell why in the thread)

1. Muppet Babies from TMTM (Puppet Versions)

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Muppet Babies Cartoon Versions

5 vote(s)
    29.4%

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Ironically, we always complain that people think we're immature for liking the Muppets. But then we turn right around and criticize fans of Muppet Babies for the same reason!
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I am a fan, I would never make fun of anyone :)
  3. heralde

Yeah I mean I don't always agree with fans regarding the newer Muppet stuff. But I wouldn't try and make them feel bad. :)

Not that anyone in here is, hehe, I just don't agree with all the MB bashing.
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, I just ordered a VHS with my favorite episode 'Good clean fun' on it from amazon :flirt:
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The writing and style don't bother me as much as the poor quality of the character animation and irritating voice work. I'm not bashing it (as was stated in a later post). Taste doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition (though it does appear to happen a lot). The program also had many catchy songs and I don't think that receives enough praise. :)

I do think it's sad (not that people like the program or that it was made) that it was nearly the only Muppety thing accessible for a particular generation. The idea that the Muppet Babies is more highly regarded by many people of that generation than the classic Muppets and Muppet puppetry isn't ideal in my wide Henson loving opinion. But nobody should be faulted for simply liking what they like.

I haven't made the claim that any particular person wasn’t a real fan for any reason. I am fortunate to have the childhood memory of seeing The Muppet Movie in the theaters at age five. I do believe that would have painted a different perception of the Muppets for any generation. It really is the Muppets at their finest. That initial introduction was the Muppet Babies to many people and that led them to other Muppety goodness and it helped continue brand exposure (as mentioned before).

Personally the inconsistencies of the Babies’ animation and the unfortunately squeaky voices make me cringe too much to watch long enough to enjoy other aspects of the program. I wish Little Muppet Monsters had worked out. The animated portions were the same quality, but at least there were puppets! I love Tug!
  6. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Im not bashing MB i love the show i think bean bunny would have to be my favorit bunny though.
  7. heralde

But that's the thing, that's not the way it was. There was Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and all three Muppet movies were available, the Jim Henson Hour/Storyteller (which I did watch hehe) as well as several specials. There wasn't a shortage. The Muppets were everywhere in the '80s/early '90s and I watched it all. And I was not an anomaly. ;)

Being a MB fan did not turn me off to the regular Muppets and to be honest I never met anyone else who thought that way. I'm sure some people did, but I think a lot of it is blown out of proportion. :)
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

You were lucky to have cable and parents with money then ;)
    I never saw Storyteller until last year and FR until I was 12 in '95 :p.
  9. heralde

Well, we didn't have HBO until much later. I only saw Fraggle Rock through the Disney Channel. And I probably saw more of the cartoon series than the live show (which shocks me now lol). Comparing them now, I prefer the live show, though the cartoon was still cute. Just not quite as ambitious.

And actually The Jim Henson Hour/Storyteller was on network TV, NBC I believe. It just wasn't on for very long; only a couple months.
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

For a particular generation - one that I have continually been referring to- it was the only current project on the air (even in syndication and taking Sesame out of the equation of course). I'm speaking more of the -->late 80s-early 90s<-- not early-to-mid 80s as you have stated. :rolleyes:

I haven't stated that project has turned anyone off to anything. However, generationally speaking again, there are many people who weren't exposed to Muppet puppetry (via Muppet Show characters) enough to have latched on. I don't get why you keep quoting my posts with rebuttals to ideas I haven't implied? :confused:
  11. heralde

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I just disagreed with some things I read. It's not your posts in particular. And I wasn't just talking about early to mid '80s either. Perhaps that's where the confusion is.

Honestly, I'm not trying to make it a big thing, just casually disagreeing. I'm sorry if it seems any other way.:)
  12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Disney Channel was not basic cable where I live...
    Anyway, I am talking about the early 90's mostly for me, I was only seven when the 90's started after all :3.
    After 95' our tv died and was never replaced until I was sixteen (with only a VCR) so I guess I am not a normal case really :insatiable:
  13. heralde

Eh don't worry about it, I watched way too much TV as a kid, when I could have been doing other things. :)
  14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I read books :eek: . The ones with no pictures *lol*
    I guess no tv helps you to become a bookworm...
    and buy a big tv when you move out :coy:

But MB was aimed right at my generation so I have nothing but nice feelings about it, voices and all :)
  15. heralde

Well seriously, good for you! I had real trouble with reading. I mean, I had no trouble learning to read. But I couldn't bring myself to enjoy it, I liked TV more. However, I discovered I loved reading books ABOUT the things I already loved! So I ended up being one of the few kids I knew who enjoyed reading non fiction! So you see, it all works out, lol. :wisdom:
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think several things were getting lumped together there.

On another note, projects like the Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight didn't take off. Muppet Christmas Carol (received some acclaim) and Muppet Treasure Island didn't fare well at the box office. There was a void for many years of current exposure for Muppets puppetry. Theories on that aside, Muppet Babies filled that gap in Muppet history. They didn't swipe it away; they were simply the main Muppet game going on whether in new shows or syndication. They were the most prevalent and accessible Muppets for many years while the Henson Company floundered around with the brand. Looking back on that part of history makes me glad that Disney has ownership and they're doing much more with them than many expected.

However, I am glad that Disney is strengthening the original Muppets brand before the Muppet Babies cartoon representations. I wouldn't have imagined it because I'm sure Babies merchandise would sell. I hope it comes around again, but it's good to see Disney building the Muppets back from the roots up. Again, just my opinion, but I see a much stronger complete Muppets brand being built that way. :)

Also, I have always wanted to see puppet versions of Baby Beaker, Sweetums and the Mayhem. Check the main page on Easter for the entire Muppet Babies menu with created versions of Baby Pepe and Baby Rizzo. It's sickeningly cute and was made from love! :coy:
  17. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I love fiction, mostly fantasy :). I hate what movies are doing to some of my favorites now. So little ones would not know a book if it hit them :coy:

I want that Baby Gonzo toy...:3
  18. heralde

Well frogboy, it sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong hehe) you're referring to when Muppet Babies was on in the early to mid '90s. That's true, it was one of the few Muppet programs on the air. Though, Nickelodeon's Muppet matinee definitely got people introduced to The Muppet Show and many other things at that time.

I guess when I think of Muppet Babies, I think of them as a purely '80s thing, when the rest of the Muppet projects were still huge all around. I think I can see where we're getting confused. :)

Ok, now I sound like Pirates of Penzance ("Do you mean "orphan", a person that has lost his parents, or "often", frequently? ! Lol)

I do hope Disney does well. Though, I'd take Muppet Babies over much of what I've seen in recent years. Still, there's always hope! ;)
  19. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I've generally been speaking about most of the Muppet Babies run, some on CBS some on Nick. The classic Muppet characters weren't as constant as the Muppet Babies for quite some time. Without splitting hairs, that's what I'm saying. They had the higher profile for a very long time. It both strengthened and weakened the Muppet brand in different ways. It's also why I believe they've been largely pigeon-holed as primarily children's entertainment by so many executives.

It took Jim Henson a long time to convince people to put The Muppet Show on the air in the 70s, it became an established brand in general entertainment I believe Muppet Babies (for various reasons already stated) inadvertently rolled-back the perception of the Muppet characters and now Disney appears to be trying to bridge that gap. Whew...hope that clears it up. You might disagree with the idea in whole or part, but my meaning should be clearer now.

I also think that's some of the reason for the few "snarkier moments" in some of the recent Muppet projects. They were trying to distinguish themselves, not only as relevant, but away from being children's entertainment. Some of those moments have been to their detriment. I'm sure you'd agree with me on that.
  20. heralde

Yeah it definitely does, hehe, glad that's worked out!

I do definitely agree that they might be trying to make themselves look more adult now, but just end up seeming immature. I just don't think Muppets Babies is the culprit, so to speak, hehe. It was a good show all around (and I know you didn't say it wasn't ;) ) and I don't blame it for the damage that was done later on.

Jim was the leader, and when he was gone, the focus became confused. I would have been shocked if it hadn't happened to be honest. What he did can't be easily repeated, as you would agree. :)