Muppet Babies scene in TMTM

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I'm not actually sure where to post this, since this scene isn't technically the TV show nor isn't part of the Muppets we know best. Feel free to move this. Also, sorry if this bas been asked already.

In that sequence in TMTM, how were the babies actually operated? I mean I know all the waist up shots were hand puppets, but what about full shots or wide shots of the babies? Were they marrionettes? Waldo controlled? Sometimes they looked marionetted and other times it didn't seem like some the movements could be accomplished with the Waldo. Very good scene in terms of puppetry and song.

I already checked MuppetWiki to find this information, but no such luck for some reason.

Muppetplus

Reaction score
I'm guessing the performers were all under the floor, performing them as normal hand puppets; the puppets could hide the performer's arm when fully shown.

blackaerin

Reaction score
but how do you explain the crawling scene or baby Rowlf in the crib scene? he practically does a cartwheel in the air!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The crawling scene can be done easily with remote control stuff. Rowlf is certainly on a rod or at least the puppeteer's hand which is sticking out of the back of the crib.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I figured the Puppeteers hand was sticking out of the back of the cot, as RP suggests.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npUdoua5JSs

Actually, the crawling looks like a pretty simple effect. If you look closely, they hardly move at all. It's very likely that small trenches were made and the puppeteers just operated them as normal (with extra puppeteers operating the limbs). The way the scene is shot, the trenches would be hidden.

Kermit's tricycle ride (and some of the other babies riding stuff) is probably a marionette as was adult Kermit.

Ya know, I never realized how many tricks were going on in this scene until you brought it up.