Muppet Babies

Nadine

Reaction score
What are your thoughts?

I thought the show was a bit dull, myself... the muppets were so much funnier in their regular forms, and the gags were better in the original version as well. It just didn't have the same 'universal' quality, I guess.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, the live action Muppets were better, but the show was a great kid's show. These days it's all that Poke-Digi garbage that ruin's kid's minds. Face it ladies and Genklefins, we need the Muppet Babies back!

Electric Mayhem

Reaction score
I never compared it or related it to the original Muppet Show, because they're too entirely different critters!! Muppet Babies was a GREAT cartoon, for all ages, races, & sexes. I thought it was VERY humorous & I liked that it revolved around using your imagination. The little video bits they added to every episode were great too.

The only thing that confused me was Skeeter- she was never seen as a grown-up. :eek:

Gonzo

Reaction score
I really like the Muppet Babies--especially in the first few years of the cartoon--it was a highly imaginative, literate series, and at a time when the "real" Muppets weren't doing anything (because their creators were busy with other projects), Muppet Babies kept those characters in peoples (and more especially children's) minds. It was a great show.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

Salmoto

Reaction score
What I liked about them when I was they occasionaly showed me fun things to do, like putting saran wrap over the TV so I could draw on it. Of course, when I did it I was never sucked into the middle of the movie "Abyss" with a snorkel like Gonzo did.

They also had an entire episode devoted to the love of cartoons, citing cartoons like Popeye and the 60s Spider-man. That I actually appreciated later when I was watching reruns of the show on Nickelodeon.

Nadine

Reaction score
Ah yes, I remember that...

"We love cartoons, we love all the action!
We love cartoons, how they dance and sing!
We love cartoon, they're the main attraction!
Cartoon heroes... we love everything!"

... or something like that. One remembers the most bizarre things from their childhood, huh?

Yeah, it was good that the MB kept the characters alive for a new generation. I guess it just pales in comparison to the originals, and it's hard to look at it independently and see the cartoon's virtues.

One thing I didn't like was the use of all the live action footage. It made the whole thing less 'real', I suppose.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I really liked the live-action footage--in my eyes it showed kids how their own experiences could integrate with things they were seeing on television and movies--how it could enhance their imagination and playtime, not just be something they sit down and passively observe.

It also made Gonzo (albeit BABY Gonzo) into more of a star than he had been up to that point--really elevated him to being one of the Big Four, instead of a B-Grade freak....

Quinnnnnnnnnn