1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Christmas Carol DVD

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by ZootandDingo, Apr 15, 2002.

1. ZootandDingo

ZootandDingo Member

I don't quite remember what the latest news was on the old forum about the DVD, but it was announced today that "Muppet Christmas Carol" will be full-frame only and (most likely) will include the trailer. :(

I have already fired off a letter to Disney's home video department asking them to reconsider. If anyone would like to do so as well, you can write to:

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
    350 S. Buena Vista St.
    Burbank, CA 91521

I don't put a lot of faith in that suspiciously simple address on the back of Disney packages, so I have a feeling the above will get it to the right people much more easily.
  2. Stulz

Stulz Member

Muppet X-Mas Carol full screen?

When will companys realize that Full screen is just a cop out!!

DVD's were made for Movie people... if your a full screen person a VHS should be more your speed anyway.

Where did you get this info??
    Amazon's site doesn't mention any of the specs. yet.

Thanks,
    Chris
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Do you know for a fact this is true? I have emailed the company at: http://video.go.com/support/home.html

I hope others will do the same. I will not buy this film full frame on DVD. I can no longer support such a lazy practice.
  4. Stulz

Stulz Member

Muppet X-Mas DVD

yeah .. i feel cheated if a film isn't in the aspect ratio it's meant to be in.

That's why i haven't bought Follow That bird on DVD yet.. I'll wait and save my $$ for a real version... not some slopped together cheapo DVD.

We really need to get one of those online petions started for these widescreen dvd's.. it Worked for Batman Beyond : Return of teh Joker and for Willy Wonka

Chris
  5. Raech

Raech Member

Ok I do not want this movie in P&S. I hate Disney Sometimes. Almost as much a s Blockbuster & Hollywood video who said on rentals if a movie is sold as two seperates (P&S & WS) they would only buy the P&S (AKA Full Frame) for rental. Dumb dumb dumb.
  6. ZootandDingo

ZootandDingo Member

I read about it on the dvdfile.com web site, which is one of the few DVD sites I trust with reporting correct specs and stuff.

It was in a huge glut of a list of other Disney DVD releases for September 3rd, and the site noted the fact that Christmas Carol was the only one in the batch being released in full-frame.

But we still have time to see if we can change this, so be sure to let Disney know you won't buy it in full-frame.
  7. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

It doesn't look good folks. The Digital Bits ran an interview today with the Senior Vice President of Worldwide DVD Production and Technical Operations for Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Chris Carey. They discussed, in detail, the demographic appeal and technical applications that go into releasing their titles widescreen vs. pan&scaM. Next week they're running another with an idividual from BVHE's marketing department to cover that angle.

Click here for the full article
  8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Scott

Well that Chris Carey is simply an idiot. I know, I know - namecalling, but you've got to admit he's out of touch with the Muppet consumer. We have waited forever for these releases and it's terrible that they're only intending it for children. Maybe writing Henson could help, but I asked the article's writer to provide us with a good address to flood our emails with so watch out for it.
  9. DrGoshposh

DrGoshposh New Member

This is a general DVD question:

When played on an HDTV (where the screen is 16:9), does a widescreen DVD automatically fill the entire screen? Also, on the HDTV, does a full screen DVD occupy only the middle of the screen (with black bars appearing on either side of the picture)?

I'm just wondering if DVDs are all compatible with new technology, or if we'll have to re-purchase all the DVDs we own when everything switches to digital. I assume all will be compatible, but I never have heard for sure.

Just wondering,

Scott
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Only anamorphic DVDs are capable of adjusting to fit a widescreen television. The other 4 Muppet Movie DVDs have this feature. As for the bars on the sides of a full frame format - you are correct. The image is in the center and (gray) bars appear on either side.
  11. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Maybe someone at one of our baby showers will give our baby boy a widescreen television....THAT'S unconditional love, right there, baby!

Quinnnnnnnnnn
  12. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

I just sent an e-mail off to Bill myself.

How disappointing. I think the key misunderstanding is in this line: "It's okay if it's Tickle Me Elmo, but not The Lion King." (Not an exact quote.) Muppet Christmas Carol is NOT Tickle Me Elmo. Neither I nor just about anyone I know over the age of 5 can tolerate watching Elmo for longer than five minutes. Meanwhile, I showed MCC to my parents a couple of Christmases back. There were no kids around...and we all LOVED it. As I said to Bill in my e-mail, saying MCC is just for kids is like saying The Simpsons are for toddlers just because they're cartoon characters.

(On a side note: a glorious exception to the Elmo rule was at Muppet Fest, where Kevin Clash was improvising in character and just trying to make us laugh. He was brilliant, and his cuteness was well offset by the other performers and characters. But it's just somehow different when he's on that little screen.)

Carey wasn't sure, but they thought there were only maybe two or three films out of 100 that didn't have widescreen. Actually, there was only *one* out of 100...and it was the one I wanted. "Wanted" being past tense.

Meanwhile, what use do I have (or anyone else, for that matter) for widescreen versions of Captain Ron and Ernest Goes to Jail?

I'm venting my frustrations here 'cause I'm among friends, but I was much more polite to Bill in the e-mail and I recommend everyone else do the same. Belligerent anger will just make them stop listening to us. At this point, there's still time to change if enough of us write in. Here's hoping.
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I hear you. We have to somehow contact these execs.
  14. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

This is what I reported to the Henson Company. Maybe they can provide a better address at Disney to state the full-frame complaint:

Dear folks at Henson-
    I really don't know who to voice this concern to, so I thought you might be able to help. Disney has recently chosen to release the remaining Muppet movie titles (The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island) only in the cropped format instead of allowing an alternate widescreen version to appear on the disc, The other four Muppet film DVDs (Columbia-Trisar released) provide the option for widescreen format and I don't see any reason for this terrible decision. I do not know if you have any influence over this release, but I (and many others) are very upset and most of us will likely pass on this full-frame version because we already have the cropped VHS copy and don't feel like supporting the under whelming treatment of the films. I have not found a sufficient email or physical address at Disney/Chris Carey to voice this complaint. I really hope there could be a mail order version of these at the very least. The films deserve a lot more respect than this poor treatment by Disney.
    Thank you very much!
    Muppet fan for life
    -james carroll