Muppet Christmas Carol

SgtPepper

Reaction score
1) Who's your favourite Muppet character in the movie?

Marley and Marley, Gonzo, Rizzo

2) What are your favourite scenes?

Marley and Marley

What are your thoughts on this movie?

Great !!!!

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Yes! Thank you for doing this, Rachel! I love this movie so much; one of my favorite Christmas movies, Muppet or otherwise, of all time.

1) Who's your favourite Muppet character in the movie?
Ohh, tough call. I've got several characters from this movie that I like. My absolute favorite is Robin as Tiny Tim. He was the perfect choice for the role. First runner-up would have to go to the Ghost of Christmas Past, who's my favorite out of all the ghosts. All the other presentations of Christmas Carol that I've seen have always cast an adult, either male or female, as Christmas Past. MCC is the first production of Christmas Carol where Past was portrayed by a child. It made sense to me, since childhood is a big part of a person's past, and more importantly it was a big part of Scrooge's past since he spent much of his alone. Plus I also liked her appearance, with the flowing robes and hair and that light, like she was glowing from the inside.

2) What are your favourite scenes?
Ooh, too many to count, too many to count! How 'bout if I just list them, huh?

- Any scene with Gonzo and Rizzo in it (i.e. trying to sneak into Scrooge's backyard, Rizzo being chased by the cat, "light the lamp, not the rat!").

- "Bless Us All," with the Cratchit family gathered around the dinner table. This is my favorite song from the entire movie ("When Love is Gone" being my second-fave), is one of my favorite Mupet songs of all time, and every year has a place in my repetoire of Christmas music.

- I know it's one of the saddest scenes in the movie, but the "empty chair" scene. Especially Kermit's "meetings and partings" speech, which I know must have been difficult in the wake of the losses of Jim, and more recently in relation to the release of the film, Richard.

- "How would the accounting staff suddenly like to find themselves...UNEMPLOYED?!?" "HEAT WAVE! This is my island in the sun..." :big_grin:

- the "Thankful Heart" scene, especially when Scrooge gives Christmas presents to Fozziwig and his headmaster (Sam). Fozziwig looks pleased, Sam is stunned...and then both of them shake their presents (with Fozziwig holding his up to his ear trumpet)!

- "Marley and Marley." Even when they're portraying one of the most well-known ghosts in literature (and his obviously lesser-known brother :wink:), Statler and Waldorf can't stop with the wisecracks. And we wouldn't have them any other way.

- The final scene with everyone (and I mean everyone) gathered at the Cratchit house (and spilling out into the street, down the street, etc) at the end of the film...and after Rizzo compliments him on the story Gonzo says, "If you like this, you should read the book."

Whew! That's about it! Gee, I thought that list'd be longer somehow...

-Kim

Sweetums

Reaction score
I don't really have time to fully reply to this right now, but I would just like to say that the Ghost of Christmas Present in this movie is the absolute best characterization I have ever seen of that character in any movie. In almost all the others (and even in Dickens' original book), he's really wise and kinda stern and dark, but I love the sweet, absent-minded take. It adds nice variety to the Spirits.

Joggy

Reaction score
Gonzo as Charles Dickens is my absolute favorite. Followed by Rizzo and Kermit.

Favorite parts:

"My name is Charles Dickens." "And my name is Rizzo the Rat - hey hey hey, YOU'RE not Charles Dickens!"

"HEAT WAAAAVE!"

"One more sleep till Christmas"

The flying scene

Rizzo's bag of jellybeans, and the fence. "You can fit through those bars?!"

"I was meaning to fix that shelf."

"Bless Us All"

rowlf84

Reaction score
I like the scary ambience in the Christmas Future scene. Christmas Future is definitely cool/scary. Christmas Past is freaky for me.

I love Gonzo as Charles Dickens!

The scenes are just too hard to pick.

This entire movie is just wonderful. It combined two of my favorite things; Muppet and Dickens. The story-telling was done extremely well, and the comedy was right in step too even though the serious scenes were magnificent as well. I need this on DVD!

Gonzo

Reaction score
1) Favorite Character

I can honestly say this is the first time I really LIKED Robin. I thought he was wonderful here. Aside from him, I loved Gonzo and Kermit, and wished Piggy and Fozzie had been there more. But my official answer is Robin.

2) Favorite Scene

The song "Bless us all" or whatever it is, and Cratchit walking home from work with Tiny Tim on his shoulder, stopping to skate with Penguins, etc. Marley & Marley were also excellent.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
1. gonzo and rizzo pretty much still the show and i liked them and their telling the story and their comedy bits

2. i liked the scrooge song at the begining and the thankful heart song at the end....i also loved the electric mayhem's short apperance although i would wanted more of them

favorite scene is where sam the eagle is telling young scrooge something and he says it is the american way and gonzo has to correct him and sam then says its the british way

ryan

Rachel

Reaction score
Gonzo, am I right in thinking you are JediKermit from Epinions.com? You are, aren't you? I'm Royalprincess from there! Nice to see you here. Wow it's a small world...:smile:

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hiya Rachel/Royalprincess!

Yeah, I'm JediKermit there, I'm Gonzo here, I'm a bunch of people everywhere. Sometime I should get some uniformity in my various screennames, and just go by "Quinn." That would probably be best. But now I've got too much in too many different places. So for people who make the connection, kudos!

Nice to meet you.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Chilly Down

Reaction score
1. Favorite Character(s)

Gonzo and Rizzo, natch. Before it became overdone in later productions, their team-up here was a revelation to all. They were a team worthy of comparison with Ernie and Bert.

I also liked the Ghost of Christmas Past. She had an almost doll-like quality to her. Though I wish more main Muppets could have been featured in roles like this, I liked the blending of the Creature Shop look with the regular Muppet cast, particularly evidenced in both the Past and Future puppets.

Yay for Robin in this film. Do you realize this is the most major role he's ever had in a Muppet film? Robin's tough to write -- he needs to be cute without being obnoxious about it. The role of Tiny Tim almost seems like it was written for him.

2. Favorite Scenes

All the songs, beautifully written by Paul Williams.

When Kermit gets choked up over Tiny Tim's death, so do I. Ditto for when Scrooge loses the love of his life.

This is one of only three productions in which I didn't feel the absence of any of the key members, because such love went into the production (the other two being The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, and Muppet Show Live). As entertaining as Very Merry Muppet Christmas was, and as happy as I was to see main characters back where they belong, it didn't quite move me. I hope they'll someday be able to completely get their groove back.