muppet comebacks

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thougth I would start a thread about the various times that it looked like the Muppets were going back to being as big as they were during the run of The Muppet Show. During the mid-1980s, the popularity of the muppets started to slip, and there have been times where it looked like their TMS popularity was coming back.

Here are the times I can think of:

1992-1994: during this time, Disney released a new muppet movie, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Buena Vista started Jim Henson Video, releasing various Henson productions on video, Nickleodeon aired reruns of Muppet babies, The Muppet Show, and various Muppet specials, and BMG Kids started Jim Henson Records and released a lot of Muppet albums.

1996: A new Muppet movie, Muppet Treasure island, is released in theatre, and the muppets have a new series, Muppets Tonight.

1999: a year ealier, Columbia started Jim Henson Home Entertainment, but this year started seeing re-releases of the first three muppet movies as well as The dark Crystal and Labrynth (which are also released on DVD), while the muppets star in a new movie, Muppets From Space, and the Sesame Street cast stars in it's second movie, Elmo In Grouchland. Henson also becomes one of three owners of the Oddessy channel, Sesame Workshop helsp launch Noggin, giving fans access to old Sesame Street episodes, and Henson premiers two new shows, the short-lived Family Rules and the more successful farscape.

2001-2003: the 25th anniversary of the muppet show is celebrated, a new album is released, palsiades starts a collection of Muppet action figures, Sideshow starst a collection of Muppet busts, various video games are released, and two muppet movies (kermits swamp years and it's a very merry muppet christmas movie) are released in the same year, although not in theatres.

2005: after buying the Muppets, Disney tries to make the muppets a really hot property again, with DVD releases of the muppet show and all Disney-owned movies, a web show with Statler and Waldorf, a new movie, and plans for a new christmas special, a roast, a reality series, ad even a record deal.