Muppet Comic Rumored

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
In the latest issue of Wizard, there is a rumor that many big name publishers are looking at the Muppets for a comic book.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting... thanks for sharing that. I've always loved the Gilchrist Muppet strips from the early-to-mid 1980's. It would be great to see them in comic form once again. One of the real challenges is staying true to character in comic form.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, if things go as planned (which they probably won't) and I become popular as a cartoonist, I'll make it appoint to write an issue of PIGS IN SPACE comics.

I just hope the qaulity of thses comics is better then the MTM adaption.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh my, new Muppet comic books would be a dream come true.

I only hope they get really stylish artists(like the style employed on the Monsters Inc graphic novel), not in that bland Archie Comics style, and for it to be in color.

I also think, if they wanna get really cool...to do what some comic companies are doing, and come out with an annual or special that is a consortium of fan produced short comic stories.

But yes, this is very cool news, thanks for the scoop!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Well, if things go as planned and I become popular as a cartoonist, I'll make it appoint to write an issue of PIGS IN SPACE comics.
How 'bout "Vet's Hospital" while you're at?

Poor VH, it always gets shoved over for PIS...*sigh* :frown:

Which is quite interesting, cause at a poll I had up at one of my Delphi forums once, VH was the lead in "favorite recurring sketch on TMS"... hmmmmmmmmm...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
How 'bout "Vet's Hospital" while you're at?

Poor VH, it always gets shoved over for PIS...*sigh*

Firstly, I said If. As in If I become famous, and start a publishing company, Muppets would be my Number one Idea in the terms of licenced characters (along with Inspector Gadget, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Mighty Heroes to name a few). Even if this does come true, there's a slim chnace JHC would let me do a comic.

Secondly, a PIS would probably be a one shot, or a miniseries. This doesn't mean VH would be out of the question. It's just that VH works on a small comic scale, while PIS can go much farther, plot wise.

Thirdly, I'm still working on Janice's design. Right now, I'm trying hard not to make her look like Gilchrist's interpretation.

And who says that Janice wouldn't be IN the PIS comic?

But if this all fizzles out, let's just call it a Pipe drem.

Struble

Reaction score
I seriously doubt it will happen. But if it does, I better figure out the editor's name... I need more colouring work, anyway. :smile:

Sh.

tygerbug

Reaction score
Poor Gilchrist interpretation. =)

The comic strip Muppets, after about the first half year of the run, became VERY simple yet very effective designwise, I would say ... (early on they were more complicated) ... but simplicity tends to be hard to copy and make it work. Would never work for comic books, where there needs to be more detail. Even Donald Duck became quite complex when drawn by the late great Carl Barks ... still, one could do worse than check that stuff out. I remember some Veterinarian's Hospital strips that were done, or was that early? Blog. I just gave all my Muppet strip books to Phillip. Maybe he'll do some scans of various characters as they appear in the Gilchrist strips and in the original Style Guide ... for the art inclined. I assume the MTM adaptation was bad. =)

If you do use some Gilchrist inspiration, include those three little crease smile lines on the side of Kermit's mouth ... look at any Gilchrist kermit to see what I mean ... it's always been shorthand for that style of Muppet art for me .... and there was a time when a lot of Muppet artists did it.

(Dad could do pretty good Muppet impersonations too ... Kermit, Fozzie, Animal .... I can sort of do his Kermit but it comes out like a bad Ernie somehow. Recently I watched the Requiem for a Dream DVD and there's a behind the scenes for the scene with the evil fridge who opens up its jaws, and that was done by a puppeteer who was doing a "rarr" voice the whole time and still had that Frank Oz sort of "puppeteer" voice! Even today all puppeteers seem to sound like that. So bizarre.)

tygerbug

Reaction score
Hmm ... Just checked out Byron's Janice site and that had lots of the comic Janice! And you're right, it can definitely be improved as it doesn't look quite like the puppet. Though definitely not bad. Definitely brought back weird memories.

Makes me rather want to do my own attempts at the Mups. I dunno if I'm actually that bored.