Muppet DVD's to be released through Cereal Boxes

Ryan

Reaction score
Used without permission from TP:

Muppets for Breakfast
From a press release posted at DVDToons.com

Columbia-Tristar Home Entertainment is hoping to whet the appetites of families -- one of the fastest-growing market segments for DVD -- with a groundbreaking promotion that will put discs right on the breakfast table.The studio is teaming with General Mills to give away children's DVD's packaged on the front of more than 8 million boxes of popular cereals. The promotion starts in October and runs throughout the holiday season. "We were looking for a high-profile vehicle to have parents sample DVD children's product," said Jennifer Anderson, director of marketing at Columbia-Tristar. The full-length DVD's will include properties such as The Muppets, Bear in the Big Blue House and Jackie Chan cartoons. The DVD's are different from those generally available for sale."We do want to make clear to retailers this is to educate consumers and help sales," Anderson said, [bafflingly].The studio estimates that by the end of 2002, more than 78 million households will have DVD-capable machines, [ blah blah blah ].Consumers who buy two Columbia-Tristar family DVD's can also get one free DVD by mail in a yearlong promotion to be featured on General Mills' cereal packaging.DVD's will be included on General Mills' Big G brands including Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Golden Grahams, Honey Nut Chex and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. "These are brands that have huge appeal with kids, huge appeal with parents," said Pam Kermish, promotion manager for Big G Cereals. Columbia and General Mills will advertise the promotion through TV spots and newspaper inserts.

Cool, huh? Now of course they probably won't be too great, seeing as they will only be about 4.99 each.

beaker

Reaction score
oh this is great news! does this mean we'll be seeing muppet or bear cereal boxes?(they have simpsons now, yet they havent had muppets cereal since 1988:frown: )

anyways, i look forward to this, being a collector of all things jhc dvds. im wondering if its one dvd with a sampler of these shows,
or one different show for each dvd? I like that better. hmmm, muppets...bear, oh man! but jackie chan cartoon? odd choice.
but boy would i love to see muppet cereal boxes!

///beaker///

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
....hmmm, muppets...bear, oh man! but jackie chan cartoon? odd choice.

THat is a riot!! The Jackie Chan discs were the ones we are most excited about in my house. We already have the 10 Muppet Show DVDs, and my kid loves the Jackie Chan adventures TV show, but his old man won't spring for any of the DVDs. So now he can finally get some.

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by Electric Mayhem
I loved Kroonchy Stars when I was little.... *sniff*:frown:
I wasn't very little when they had Kroonchy Stars... *sniff*
:wink:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an unopened box of Croonchy Stars cereal from about 14 years ago. Wonder what it's like in there now... LOL.

Jimbo504

Reaction score
NIN-TEN-DO

ITS FOR BREAKFAST NOW!

NIN-TEN-DO

ITS A CEREAL, WOW!!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The plan right now is that they'll be samples promoting Columbia's releases.

Luke

Reaction score
I think this is a great move, and the mail in offer for people in the states means that if people buy two of the new Columbia Muppet Show DVD's they can send in for another free - but it doesn't particularly say whether the DVD they mail in for is another full length sampler or another retail release DVD.