'Muppet,' 'Eeyorish' join Oxford Dictionary of English

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
You know, I love Eeyore, but I have never in my life heard the word "Eeyorish." That cracks me up!!! I'll have to use that word on somebody now...
Erin

Beauregard

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Don't hate anybody, it's such a harsh emotion and uses up too much energy.

It's easier to just kill them.

(Kidding, of course!)
Someone used "muppet" yesterday on someone in my hearing. I wanted to throttle them.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Now, now, Beau, remember....Violence isn't the answer.

(It's the question. And the answer is yes! :crazy: )

beaker

Reaction score
Geez, and I expected more thought from the Oxford-Englis Dictionary. Under Muppet it should read imagination, wonder, creativity, friendship and laughter.

then again can you really respect a dictionary that enters MTV words like "bling bling" and actually take them seriously?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
beaker said:
then again can you really respect a dictionary that enters MTV words like "bling bling" and actually take them seriously?
Fo shizzle.

Drtooth

Reaction score
beaker said:
Geez, and I expected more thought from the Oxford-Englis Dictionary. Under Muppet it should read imagination, wonder, creativity, friendship and laughter.

I would think it ment "Trade term" like "Puppetry troop created by Jim Henson (from Puppet and Marrionette)"

Of course, Mickey Mouse organization doesn't have anything to do with Disney....

...wait a second....

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Excuse me but like to ask the following question:

WHO WRITES THIS CRUD?!.....sorry.....but someone dosen't check his sources.....or copyright laws.....

- :mad: :confused: :embarrassed:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Mr.Penguin said:
WHO WRITES THIS CRUD?!.....sorry.....but someone dosen't check his sources.....or copyright laws.....
Tell me about it. I copyrighted "bling bling" back in '95 to describe that crust in your eyes when you wake up.

:embarrassed: Wocka wocka?

Irving Bizarre

Reaction score
Muppet isn't so much a derogatory term in English but more a term of irritated endearment. Say for instance you ask an associate to book a table for a business dinner and they manage to mess up the arrangements and you end up booked in for meal at the same time as a huge football team and there's so much noise that no-one can hear themselves think. Then you might turn to your associate and call them a muppet.

Now, given that the Muppets are fairly accident prone, apt to have situations go wrong or out of control, cannot exist without a human hand up their bum to control them, I would say that the term Muppet used in the way I did just now is actually okay.
If however, the term was used to refer to disabled people in wheelchairs or people suffering from things like cerebral palsy or downs syndrome then I would be upset.
Yes the OED has it wrong. Yes their information is flawed and innaccurate. But they are the world leaders when it comes to documenting languages. With a dictionary that spans twelve volumes and each volume is something like 1,000 pages long. It's only natural the newer entries need to be amended.
Also the Oxford University press is one of the oldest in the world and as such one of the most conservative and academic. They provide the most staid and bald definitions for most words.
It should also be noted that the modern English and slang dictionaries are not part of the main publication. They form more of an entryway into the larger pantheon of accepted language.
However if you want to talk about misappropriation of words then simply look at American English. There never was a more mangled and misused collection of words.

leliebel

Reaction score
murdoc from the gorillaz uses the slang muppet all the time.

That's why my chatname on there board is muppet monkey, I thought it was cute.

i think there should be a reference to "marionette" "puppet" in there to though, otherwise people might think that muppets were created to be stupid.

Someone probably mentioned this, but I don't really feel like reading all op the thread right now. :wink: