1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppet Fan Confessions

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by JimAndFrank, Feb 23, 2017.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always thought Scooter being the manager was a little odd myself.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  2. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

When I was little, I thought Gordon was played by Steve Harvey. :laugh:

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Haha! When I was little I thought the guy that played Lamont on Sanford and Son was Matt Robinson (the original Gordon).

scooterfan360 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  4. LittleJerry92

Dude, they look so alike!

muppetgem likes this.
  5. LittleJerry92

Honestly, I was always bugged by the fact that the songs "Four" and "With Every Beat of my Heart" from Little Jerry and the Monotones use the exact same melody and vocal range.

I get that Jeff Moss did make some of his other songs sound similar (like Proud, I'm Gonna Always Love You from the Muppets Take Manhatten and argubaly Mountain of Love), and I get that both Little Jerry songs are album only songs, but come on, man. It just feels like laziness and at least the other songs mentioned have different meldoies and vocal ranges.

Not to mention, I was bugged by how high and whiney Little Jerry's voice sounded, and that's one thing I didn't like what Jerry Nelson did in the songs "Proud", "Sad", "Surprise" and the album version of "Telephone Rock."

6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

With that music style, it's fairly common to find songs that have similar, if not the same, melody.

7. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Not to mention, the show has a lot of songs each season, so i'm sure it's hard to have to come up with something that sounds original every time.

8. LittleJerry92

Yeah, that's true, I suppose.

Guess I gotta keep reminding myself they are songs made for kids, but sometimes it doesn't help when said show also has a tone of humor that teens/adults find and can enjoy from the creativity of Jim Henson's magic.

I'll at least give Jeff Moss props for making some great songs for both Sesame Street and the Muppets even if some had (literally) the same melody that we all can enjoy as adults, unlike some artists out there like, oh, I dunno, Taylor Swift and Adele with their repetitive, annoying, sob story pop songs.

9. LittleJerry92

I actually remember as a kid wishing How Now Brown and the Moo Wave did more songs, even if their music videos could be a bit.... Unnerving (namely "Wet Paint").

Granted, while their whole schtick was to parody then-current 1980's MTV new wave rock music video with trippy visual effects, I actually do wonder to this day if it's possible the Workshop may have considered giving them more potential music videos into at least 2 more seasons (seasons 17 and 18) or just decided to make them one-seasons (since other characters like the Oinker Sisters and Billy Idle appeared in music video-styled songs.... If you want to argue Rebel L as one).

Furball 8 likes this.
  10. Furball 8

Furball 8 Member

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Theres alot of "Muppet bands" that it would have been cool to see more of, but I guess a one time thing is better than none. Oh well, we can always wonder...

Also, I feel better knowing I wasnt the only one kinda freaked out by "Wet Paint".

11. LittleJerry92

You should read some of the YouTube comments (and some on here, too). You would he surprised how many fans watching the show in the 80's and 90's were terrified of it (and I think the issue is because many of us weren't exposed to visually weird MTV music videos from the 80's).

Furball 8 likes this.
  12. Furball 8

Furball 8 Member

Totally agree. I had no idea what New Wave music or MTV was back then, so it did'nt make sense as a parody to me. I remember being utterly freaked out by Frazzle (the song...and the monster too for that matter). The Phillip Glass scored animations were like a drug trip. Even Eight Ballls of Fur scared the crap out of me back then with the piano getting ripped apart and the dancing furballs too were just...creepy.

13. LittleJerry92

This was something that popped up in my head when I was going for a walk.

Looking back at the 40 years box set, I was actually surprised to see "Me Claudius" was included since Jerry Nelson did Elmo's voice (unless it was just for the sake of including the first Monsterpiece Theater skit).

I'll admit, this is one small issue I have with Sesame Workshop. I can't speak for them obviously, but while they seem to have no issue with uploading/releasing clips that contain guest star monsters or early Big Bird (and possibly Snuffy; I think I recall seeing Snuffy's debut on Sesamestreet.org, but don't count on it), and at least ONE clip where we have the green Grover (first and last skit), as soon as it's a pre-Elmo clip? Nope nope nope nope! We can't confuse da children! :rolleyes:

At least, that's what I've honestly gotten from them, considering we've only seen one pre-Elmo clip where he speaks given a commecial release.

14. LittleJerry92

Looking at the clips of "Monster in the Mirror" (celebrity version) and the alphabet with Ray Charles, I remember my child self always wondering why the "dark-skinned piano guy" always wore shades. Years later, of course, my question was answered. :p

On the subject of the former, I remember being blown by the fact that The Simpsons were included. On the subject of the latter, I remember the background they used pretty trippy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  15. LittleJerry92

I actually remember finding the Alphaboy skits on Sesame Street waaaaaayyyyy too overplayed.

I always found the skits to be annoying. It doesn't even help that it sounds like the kid is literally struggling to read off the script at the end.

(Though I won't lie when I say I've always wanted to eat those noodles in the "n" skit).

16. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

When I was younger, I thought that Susan Sarandon in the celebrity version of The Alphabet Song was with a random little boy.

Turns out that the boy was her youngest son Miles.

17. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

I was born in 1982. I didn't see "Labyrinth" or "The Dark Crystal" until 2014.