Muppet Fanfic: Something worth waiting for

Leyla

Reaction score
Time to start stirring things up again...

Leyla posted this
far too many times to count
She feels really dumb.

Leyla

Reaction score

I think that I shall never see... someone post the same thing as much as me...

Leyla

Reaction score

In other news, a nice Canadian girl blushed herself to death for multi posting.

Leyla

Reaction score

Hugs Lisa right back! {{{{{{{{{{{{Lisa}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I'm glad you're home! (And glad you liked that review.)

I used a Frog Walks into a Bank specifically because you've used it before. My way of saying 'cheers' I suppose. You're very funny when you're muffining yourself. Anyway, so glad you liked the story thus far... I haven't yet 'caused all the trouble I'm gonna, and boy am I looking forward to the later chapters of this story. (Hey, if you can tease... :wink:)

Ruahnna: Muppet Bing Cherries would naturally sing White Christmas! Hah, you're funny. Glad you liked the crazy cherries and the jokes/heckling. I find it easier to write when I'm picturing exactly how it would sound coming out of those "balcony barnacles".

From what I've seen, Annie really is a nice sow... and a Miss Piggy fan too.

I'm so glad you liked the Piggy/Rizzo bonding. I am now sooo tempted to write a midnight snack scene with the two of them... if you don't object...

(Beau) regarding Gonzo and the eggs... I never said they were chicken eggs, and I'm sure Camilla wouldn't mind unfertilised eggs being breakfast. She doesn't seem quite as sensitive as Piggy is about being related to breakfast food.

Java: Thanks, bud! I'm gonna review your story ASAP!

Count: Thanks so much for the review. Glad you liked it! I've been reading your Christmas story. I like it lots! (It is difficult to keep up with all this great writing, isn't it!)

And... our story continues... along with the show...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Before Fozzie had quite finished finding his notes and Scooter had quite finished restoring Kermit’s desk to order, Rowlf came running up, as worked up as they had ever seen him, which made him still calmer than many Muppets on their best days.

“We have a situation here, fellas. Animal slipped his chain and ran off. Mayhem’s on in ten and they just lost their rhythm.”

Scooter assessed the situation in a split second. “Not good,” he said.

Fozzie concurred with that assessment. “Oh, boy.”

“Yeah. Listen, Floyd’s off to fetch another chain and the rest of the band is trying to figure out where he ran off. Can one of you spare a minute to help me out with this?”

Fozzie and Scooter turned to each other.

“Um… do you wanna-“

“Well, someone needs to get… but if you’d rather-“

“No, no, that’s really your department.”

“I don’t want to force you to-

“Uh, gentlemen, finding their drummer before the band goes on would be good.”

“Sorry,” they apologized in unison. An exchange of nods and the matter was settled.

Fozzie glanced mournfully at his cards before setting them down and trailing after Rowlf. “So they have no idea where he is?”

“Nope, which is kind of odd when you think about it. Animal’s hard to miss.”

The bear stopped abruptly. “That’s right! He is. He is hard to miss, especially if…”

Rowlf waited for a moment as Fozzie stood, lost in thought. “Especially if?” He prompted.

“Ha! I got it!” Fozzie slapped his thigh in elation. “Especially if you are a miss!”

“Is- Is that a joke?” The dog asked, wondering if he ought to laugh.

“No-“ Fozzie reconsidered, “Wait, was it funny?”

Rowlf pondered his response, finally settling on honesty. “No.”

“Then it wasn’t a joke. Look, Animal loves to chase the girls around so-“

“Oh, hey, that is an idea.” The pianist caught on to Fozzie’s train of thought. “We’ll go round up a few women of the female variety and lure him out of his hidey hole. Great idea, Fozzie!”

“Oh, uh, right. That was my plan. Yes.” Hastily the aspiring comic pulled the blonde wig off of his head and smiled uneasily at Rowlf, who took it as he took everything: in stride.

“Hmm. I guess we don’t have to bother the girls… but their feminine wiles are a lot more wily… and feminine. I dunno, which plan do you prefer?”

Fozzie let out a beleaguered sigh. “Oh, let’s just go find some girls.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Scooter, in the meantime, was faced with a crisis of his own.

“What do you mean you’re not going to do the act you rehearsed? It was dynami- oops.“ The gofer slapped his hands over his mouth and waited for the inevitable.

Nothing happened.

“Is Harry sick or something?” Scooter remained in duck and cover position, just in case the resident maniac, well, one of ‘em, was running late.

Gonzo watched him in solemn impatience. “No, he’s not sick. Straighten up, will you?”

“Did- did somebody kill him?” He asked cautiously, unsettled by Gonzo’s expression.

“No, of course not. Now just stand up.” Kermit’s right hand stage man stared at Gonzo in surprise as his friend took him by the shoulders and pulled him firmly out of his crouch. “Dynamite,” Gonzo began.

Scooter flinched in a reaction that was as natural as using his uncle for personal gain.

“-is dangerous,” he continued. “Explosives,”

Still nothing. It was gradually sinking in that Crazy Harry was AWOL.

“are dangerous.”

Something was very wrong. “Gonzo, are- are you okay?”

“I’ve finally come to my senses, Scooter.” The little blue daredevil informed him.

“Gee, that’s great.” Relieved, Scooter waited expectantly for Gonzo to let loose with his most nonsensical idea yet.

“I’m giving up everything about my act that was risky and foolhardy.”

“-in order to try…” Scooter prompted him, still waiting for the craziness.

“In order to be safe.”

He gaped at Gonzo when the matter of fact words finally sunk in.

“Well, it’s not so much my safety I’m worried about as everyone else’s.”

Scooter had known that the accident had shaken his wildly eccentric friend, but he’d had no idea Gonzo had taken his mistake so much to heart. Sympathy welled up inside him and he reached out to touch Gonzo’s arm. “Hey now, don’t talk like that. What happened yesterday is still fresh, but just, just give it some time and I’m sure you’ll be feeling more like yourself.”

But Gonzo was in no mood to be mollified. “Scooter, I’m serious. Camilla didn’t believe me either but I really am giving it all up. Yesterday… it opened my eyes. I’m done with that life now. Sam and I have been talking, and we’re gonna work together to try to make things much safer around here.“

The only image more shocking to Scooter than Gonzo doing an act that wasn’t life-threateningly bizarre was of he and Sam in happy collaboration. “You’ve been talking to Sam? Sam the Eagle, Sam?”

“Yeah. I never realized how sensible he is. I have no idea what he’s been doing with us all these years.”

Scooter was deeply torn. On the one hand, he was dreadfully anxious about Gonzo’s shocking 180 degree attitude change. On the other hand, maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing. He couldn’t begin to list the number of times he’d had to write and send letters of apology to various cultural groups after Gonzo had unintentionally offended them. Kermit, too, had expressed more than a little consternation on the subject, and on more than one occasion, before heading off to “unfrazzle.”

Still…

“You’re not planning on quitting the show, are you?”

“No, of course not! Haven’t you been listening? I’m trying to make things better around here!” His voice dropped miserably. “What happened to Piggy was my fault. I can’t let it happen again.”

“Okay then.” One look at Gonzo’s set expression overruled Scooter’s desire to comfort. There was no use in arguing at that moment and precious little time besides. “Do what you need to do then, Gonzo, but clear it with me, Rowlf or Fozzie first, okay?” The self-proclaimed ex-daredevil visibly brightened when Scooter didn’t argue.

“Oh, from now on, I will.”

Uh oh.

“What do you mean, ‘From now on?’” Scooter jumped quickly on his words.

Gonzo shrugged. “We sorta… put Crazy Harry in check already.”

“How did you manage that?”

“We checked him into the Clinging Vine Home for the Crazed.”

“What?!” Scooter’s jaw fell open.

“We were going to write him a cheque-“

He gave him an annoyed look. “That takes cheek!”

“No, it takes cheques… which we didn’t have.”

“Oh, yeah, those. We never have those.” The Muppets would have lived on a shoestring budget if they could only have afforded the laces.

“Well, I didn’t anyway, and Sam only had American cheques, which didn’t help because Harry would only accept Czech cheques.”

“He’s Czech?”

“Check.”

Scooter was beginning to understand just why the frog needed his unfrazzling time. He made a quick note on his clipboard to spring Harry as soon as was convenient. In the meantime…

“Don’t… don’t do that again, okay?”

“Oh, I won’t, believe me. Those guys were very incompetent. They kept trying to keep me there, too. Can you believe that?”

“Uh-“

“It didn’t help that Sam accidentally left me there either.”

“Sam left you there?”

“Strange, isn’t it.”

“Sure is,” Scooter said lightly. He felt a little better about the whole situation knowing Sam had not been entirely won over by Gonzo’s new peace-and-quiet loving ways. Still, he wanted to ask Kermit about it... and Kermit would want to know why… which led him right back to Piggy not wanting Kermit to know... which led to big problems.

Perfect.

“So you’re not doing the cannon act tonight?”

“Never again.”

“Any plans for what you are gonna do? Or should I track down some of the back up, very last minute hopefuls?”

“Don’t call ‘em. I’ve got a whole new idea for an act! I may be retired from the death-defying business, but I’m still an artiste!”

“Great!” Things were not as bad as he had feared. “How many talking rutabagas do you need?”

“None! Scooter, don’t you know you can’t mix rutabagas and haiku?”

He hadn’t actually. Live and learn… and Scooter was about to.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes... you will get to see the haiku... whether you like it or not!

Leyla

Reaction score

Gah! What did I do? Sorry, sorry, sorry!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... Guess someone's fingers were stuck on the Reply button.

OK, what to say...
Liked the conversation/interaction at the beginning.
Scooter and Fozzie hesitant to accept responsability over helping find Animal, nicely done.
Rowlf and Fozzie tracking down Animal, Fozzie with the wig and then saying to forget it. Also liked most of the way you described the women of the female variety. As if there are any other kind worth pursuing.
Woman!!

Crazy Harry checked into the mental hospital... Gonzo being left there too...
Why do I feel Lisa's going to start using the "check" bit now?

But the thing that caught me was how you have Gonzo stating to Scooter that he's done with the daredeviltry forever. Reminds me of this other little story that's on brake for the moment, by a certain Prawny.
Very well handled.

Oh, and thanks for reading my Christmas story... Stalled at the moment, don't have any ideas for where to take it next.
Hope for more of your story soon, post when you can.

Java

Reaction score
Oh, what a predicament Scooter has on his hands. More when you can please!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Leyla, do you remember how much I love to rave about your diction? Because I remember why. It's sentences like this:
Leyla said:
The Muppets would have lived on a shoestring budget if they could only have afforded the laces.
Priceless! And the dialogue right before it is awesome, too! Matter of fact, the whole check thing... awesome. And come to think of it, that entire conversation between Scooter and Gonzo is amAAAAAAAAAzing. I especially like this part:
Leyla said:
“Great!” Things were not as bad as he had feared. “How many talking rutabagas do you need?”

“None! Scooter, don’t you know you can’t mix rutabagas and haiku?”

He hadn’t actually. Live and learn… and Scooter was about to.
I love that talking rutabagas are such a natural part of Gonzo's act... And hoo boy, something tells me that no matter what decision Scooter makes, it's the wrong one.

And Fozzie's idea of how to find Animal... well, what can I say? Except that I loved the minor discussion as to whether or not "Especially if you are a miss!" was a joke.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I am done reading. For a more detailed reveiw: Wait just here. *runs to eat dinner*

Leyla

Reaction score
*Holds breath*

*Gets hungry*

*Goes off to eat peaches.*