Muppet FanFic: The Malady Lingers On

Kristine73

Reaction score
Sometimes I really wish I didn't have to work. It really gets in the way of my updates! Enjoy the following chapter.

Chapter 16

“Well goodbye Mr Burns. Thank you once again for coming on our show. Have a safe trip!”
Kermit waved to the limousine as it drove away from the Muppet Theatre. ‘Well that’s another show under our belt and a pretty good one it turned out to be. Actually, all things considered it turned out to be an excellent show!’ he thought happily. Kermit headed back into the theatre locking the door behind him and met Scooter backstage.

“Hi boss, everyone is in the auditorium as requested. They’re all pretty keen to find out what your big announcement is.” said Scooter.

“I know Scooter. So I will not keep them in suspense any longer. If you wouldn’t mind going out on stage and tell them I am on my way.” asked Kermit.

“Sure thing boss!” Scooter headed out to the stage while Kermit went to the safe. He dialed the combination, opened the door and retrieved the precious telegram. Just as he was ready to make his way to the stage he heard knocking at the door and froze. ‘Who’s that? I hope it’s not that hideous Scribbler trying to get back in! That’s the last thing I need!’ Kermit headed towards the door slowly then let out a sigh of relief when he heard a familiar voice call out.

“Hey Scooter! Where are ya! I can’t get in!” yelled Doctor Teeth pulling at the door and knocking again. He was very surprised to find the doors locked as he told Fozzie he would be back to collect the Electric Mayhem after he saw Floyd. He heard someone on the other side fiddling with the lock. ‘About time someone came!’ he thought and then he saw Kermit. Kermit open the door just enough for Doctor Teeth to get through and beckoned him to come in. “Sorry Doctor Teeth. Please come in.”

“Thanks man. I was wondering what was happenin’ as all the lights were still on!” said Doctor Teeth as he came through the door. Looking behind him Doctor Teeth noticed Kermit had stuck his head through the crack in the door and was looking around outside. “Everything okay Kermit?” he asked.

“Sure Doctor Teeth.” Replied Kermit as he locked the theatre door once again. “I have a very important announcement to make and I don’t want it to get out before I tell everyone. We’ve had a very annoying journalist hanging around tonight. Mind you, Mr Burns dealt with him wonderfully. I guess it’s what comes from being in show business for more than 70 years!”

“So what is the big announcement?” asked Doctor Teeth. Kermit smiled and replied “Well if you would like to join the others in the auditorium I will let everyone know!”

Doctor Teeth grinned back and headed out to join the rest of the Muppet cast. He noticed Fozzie and Gonzo, who had Camilla with him, sitting in the front row down one end. At the other end of the same row sat Miss Piggy who was busy flirting with a group of male pigs. Hilda and Nigel were sitting a few rows behind them. Glancing towards the back of the theatre he found the people he was looking for. Animal, Janice and Zoot were sitting together with Rowlf, Dolores and Slim Wilson discussing tonight’s musical performance. As Doctor Teeth approached them Zoot looked up and called out “Hey Doctor Teeth! How’s Floyd?”

“Oh he is positively thriving. Can hardly wait to see his main squeeze tomorrow!” Doctor Teeth teased Janice, who turned bright red as Zoot and Animal snickered. Doctor Teeth patted her on the head and continued “All seriousness though, I spoke with the nurse who’s been taking such great care of him and he said Floyd is doin’ fine. He was still asleep for when I arrived but that’s due to the anaesthetic and pain killers he’s been given. When he woke up we had a good chat. He was real pleased to have some company.”

“Did you get a chance to watch the show?” asked Dolores.

“We sure did. Only part we missed was Miss Piggy’s number, which did not bother Floyd in the slightest!” All the musicians laughed at Doctor Teeth’s comment. Looking over to Slim Doctor Teeth said “Slim, I just want you to know that both Floyd and myself thought you did an excellent job filling in tonight. You sounded really great!” Slim smiled back but did not say anything as Kermit had finally come on the stage. Scooter ran down the stage steps to join Fozzie and Gonzo while everyone in the auditorium turned their attention to Kermit.

“Hi-ho everybody!” called out Kermit and the audience cheered. “Uh thank you.” He said. “First of all I just wanted to say thank you everyone for all staying back. I know you all want to get home and I’m sorry about the cloak and dagger act but I think you will all forgive me once I make my announcement.”

“Well don’t keep us in suspense! Make it Kermit!” Gonzo called out.

Kermit frowned down at Gonzo and continued. “Well, as you all know I have just returned from Paris and the reason I went there was to see if I could secure a guest star. Earlier this evening the following telegram arrived for me, which I will read to you all now.” Kermit paused while he unfolded the telegram. “Okay, here we go. This says ‘Contract received. All terms more than satisfactory. Available to perform with Muppets one month from now. Signed contract being returned tonight. Looking forward to experience.’” Kermit read out loud. He glanced up to look at everyone before continuing “And the telegram is signed – Rudolph Nureyev.”

A murmur went around the auditorium “Rudolph Nureyev?” wondered Fozzie “I’ve heard that name before.”

“Yeah so have I.” said Gonzo. Then Rowlf called out “Kermit? You did say Rudolph Nureyev didn’t you?”

“That’s right.” answered Kermit with a smile.

“Isn’t he the world’s greatest ballet dancer?”
“Indeed he is.”

“I don’t believe it!” whispered Miss Piggy. “Mr Nureyev, the world’s greatest ballet dancer is coming to perform here and…..”she trailed off remembering what Kermit told her ‘The guest in question is very keen to meet you!’ A huge smile came over her face “And he wants to meet Moi!” she exclaimed clapping he hands together.

Kermit looked over at Miss Piggy’s reaction and groaned inwardly. He knew he had to tell her the rest of what Rudolph said. ‘Well better get it over with!’ “Yes Miss Piggy Rudolph Nureyev wants to meet you and…..perform a number with you.” Kermit watched Miss Piggy digest this information and glanced over his shoulder. ‘I wonder if I can just slip away quickly!’ he thought. Unfortunately before he could do this a delighted scream went up from the audience and the next thing Kermit knew he was trapped in Miss Piggy’s embrace, after she charged up the stairs to the stage and launched herself at him. Kermit tried to push himself away but knew it was futile; the pig simply had too tight a grip on him. Then he frowned again as Miss Piggy starting kissing him all over. “Oh Mon Cherie! You are simply too wonderful to Vous!” Miss Piggy enthused between kisses. Looking out to the audience Kermit was annoyed to see the musicians at the back of the theatre laughing their heads off at his predicament. Down the front of the theatre the male pigs cheered Miss Piggy on, while Fozzie, Scooter, Gonzo and Camilla simply stared at Miss Piggy’s antics. “Oh do tell me Mon Capitaine! What number is Mr Nureyev and Moi going to perform?”

“Well…..” replied Kermit, who was finally able to release himself from Miss Piggy’s clutches “I don’t know yet. Naturally I granted Mr Nureyev full creative control of his numbers so we should find out what he wants to do next week.”

“Oh naturally Kermie.” Said Miss Piggy. “Oh I must call Candice immediately! I must start making preparations! I have to look as absolutely tres chic as possible for Mr Nureyev!” and Miss Piggy raced upstairs to her dressing room to phone her beauty parlour. Kermit sighed and wiped his face as he turned to face Fozzie, who had come up to join him on stage.

“Are you alright Kermit?” Fozzie asked concernedly as he placed his arm around Kermit.

“Yeah I’m fine Fozzie. I knew Miss Piggy would go hog-wild when she found out what Rudolph wanted. Better to get it out in the open now.” replied Kermit. “Speaking of getting things out in the open, I need to check with our agent that the press releases I prepared earlier have gone out for the morning news before I head off tonight.” Kermit headed off the stage with Fozzie while Scooter, Gonzo and Camilla followed them.

Janice shook her head at the news they had just been given. “Like I can’t believe it!” she exclaimed.

“Me neither!” said Zoot.

“Yeah and did you get a load of Miss Piggy’s reaction?” asked Rowlf.

“Sure did man!” replied Doctor Teeth. “I tell you, the sooner Rudolph Nureyev gets to do his show the better as she is going to be impossible until then!”

“So is this the first time a dancer has performed on the show?” asked Slim.

Zoot shook his head. “No it isn’t. Last season we had Juliet Prowse on the show. She is a very elegant dancer and was lovely to work with. I got to do a short sketch with her.” he told Slim.

“Well it will be interesting to see what happens.” said Doctor Teeth. “Come on then, enough talk. Let’s go home!”

“GO HOME! GO HOME!” agreed Animal enthusiastically, which made everyone around him laugh.

“How are you getting home Slim?” asked Rowlf.

“Oh Lubbock Lou is coming for me in his pickup.” replied Slim. “Actually he should be just about here so I better head out.”

“No problem. Do you want a lift to you flat Doll?” Doctor Teeth asked Dolores.

“Yes please!” she replied “What are you going to do Rowlf?”

“I’ll go and join Kermit and the others and get a ride home with Fozzie. Then I can take myself for my evening walk.” Said Rowlf.

“In that case let’s go!” said Doctor Teeth. “Hey everyone, just had a thought. Let’s just sneak past Nigel. We don’t want him to spot us leaving and suddenly decide he needs a last minute musicians meeting!” The musicians nodded in agreement and crept past Nigel and Hilda. Fortunately both were engaged in conversation about the great Nureyev coming to the Muppet Theatre and what music and costume arrangements would be needed, so he didn’t notice them leave. On reaching backstage the group breathed a collective sigh of relief and called out their goodbyes. Rowlf waited behind with Fozzie, Scooter, Gonzo and Camilla while Kermit finished his phone call.

“Okay that’s great Bernie! Bye bye!” Kermit hung up the telephone. “Press releases are out. That’s one less thing to worry about. What a 24 hours it has been!” said Kermit.

“It certainly has!” agreed Fozzie. “Do you want me to go get the car now Kermit?”

“Yes please Fozzie. Scooter could you go make sure everyone is out of the theatre?”

“Okay boss.” Said Scooter, who headed out to check while Fozzie left to bring the Studebaker back to the theatre. Kermit packed up his belongings while Rowlf and Gonzo chatted to each other.

“Won’t it be wonderful to have a true artist on this show?” asked Gonzo.

Rowlf looked at Gonzo. “Would you care to define ‘true artist’ Gonzo?” he asked.

“Oh someone who lives, breathes, eats and sleeps just for what they do!” Gonzo explained. “Nureyev only lives for ballet just as I only live for my acts of lunatic daring!” Camilla clucked at Gonzo’s last statement. “Oh and you too of course, my little chicky-babe!” Gonzo clarified, stroking her back feathers.

Kermit, who had been listening to the whole exchange, shook his head. ‘Well he has the lunatic part right!’ Before he had any more time to contemplate further Scooter came back from the auditorium and gave the all clear. A moment later Kermit heard Fozzie blow the Studebaker’s horn.

“Let’s go!” announced Kermit. Scooter, Gonzo and Camilla headed out first while Rowlf came out with Kermit.

“Where’s Miss Piggy?” asked Rowlf.

“She left for her place a few minutes ago.” Replied Kermit as he locked the theatre doors. “I tell you Rowlf, as much as I am delighted Rudolph Nureyev is coming I will be even more delighted when his show is over!”

“I think we all will be.” said Rowlf as they headed to the car. “But let me just say Kermit, congratulations on securing him. I think it’s great that Nureyev will be here.”

Kermit smiled at Rowlf. “I appreciate that Rowlf. Thank you.” He said as they got into the car.

“Everyone here?” asked Fozzie happily.

“Everyone’s here.” confirmed Kermit. “Drive on Fozzie.”

“Yes sir!” Fozzie replied as he started the car and drove back to the boarding house.

Janice+Floyd<3

Reaction score
Please post the next chapter soon!!! In excited to read it!!Ahhhh!!

Kristine73

Reaction score
Here's the next chapter.

Chapter 17

“So it’s true what I read in ‘Variety’?” Floyd asked Zoot as they walked along the hospital corridor. “Rudolph Nureyev is going to perform on the Muppet Show?”

“Certainly is man.” Replied Zoot.

Floyd shook his head. “That’s amazing man. You know when I read the article the other day I thought it must be some kind of mistake. I thought someone has slipped me something while I was asleep!”

Zoot laughed at his comment. “Yeah, just about everyone thought it was a mistake. Kermit was accused pulling some kind of practical joke to drum up publicity when the press releases came out on Sunday morning. It was only when Rudolph’s secretary at the Paris Opera Ballet issued his own press release later that day to announce that he was going to be a special guest star on the Muppet Show that everyone realized it was true! And get this man – he wants to perform with Miss Piggy!”

Floyd stared at Zoot for a moment. “You’re joking?” he asked. At Zoot’s shake of the head Floyd replied “Just when you thought you heard it all!” causing Zoot to laugh again. Zoot had come to visit Floyd before heading to the theatre for rehearsal for Rich Little’s appearance on the show, and had brought Animal with him. Both Floyd and Zoot were pleased to see that Animal had, so far, responded to Doctor Teeth’s threat of not letting him visit Floyd and had behaved himself each time he came with the others to the hospital. Apart from a couple of “Woman!” shouts, which were abruptly cut short by a sharp pull on his chain and being ordered to ‘Heel!”, nothing untoward had happened.

“So how are you feeling today man?” asked Zoot.

“Oh yeah, not too bad. Can’t wait to get out of here though – I am so bored!” stated Floyd. Three days had passed since his operation and everything was progressing normally. Well according to his doctor it was and Floyd did believe him. After all he knew about these things. It was more little things that were annoying Floyd. The fact that he couldn’t have a shower by himself, a nurse had to be in the bathroom with him just in case. Constant checks of his temperature and pulse by nurses, which always seemed to happen when wanted to be left alone. He was not allowed to eat what he wanted; it had to be an approved meal from the kitchen. He was being encouraged to walk around as much as possible but even that had its drawbacks. Instead of his usual cool swagger he had to walk slowly and worse than that he was slightly stooped, so Floyd thought he looked like a question mark walking along. Little annoyances like that. And if he did complain, he was reminded in no uncertain terms exactly how lucky he was to still be alive!

“Well Floyd, I’m glad you’re bored.” Said Zoot. “I’d be worried if you weren’t because it would mean you were too sick to care!” Floyd nodded his agreement, pausing to lean against a wall for a moment. “Are you okay?” asked Zoot.

“Yeah, just get tired easily.” Said Floyd. That was something else to annoy him. When he did walk he got exhausted quickly and more often than not had to grab onto the walls for balance. Nurse Ben had found him yesterday supporting himself on one and helped him back to his room. “It’s nothing to worry about Floyd,” Ben had reassured him. “Your body has been through a trauma and it needs to heal itself. It will pass soon.”

“Okay we’ll go back to your room then.” Said Zoot.

“Okay!” agreed Animal.

Floyd smiled at both of them and the trio made their way back to his room. The room Floyd was in was full of get well cards, balloons and flowers from various well-wishers. Floyd eased himself back onto his bed, leaving his dressing gown and slippers on, and leant back against the pillows with a sigh. He turned to look at Zoot, who was inspecting the get well cards. Zoot found the card Robin made for Floyd and picked it up. On the front Robin had painted a picture of Floyd’s guitar and had written ‘Get Well Soon’ underneath it. Opening it Zoot smiled when he saw Robin had written on the inside ‘Better yet – Get Well Immediately!’ Placing it back down Zoot said “That’s a real nice card Robin made for you.”

“Yeah, Robin’s a good kid. Kermit brought it in when he came to see me on Sunday.” Said Floyd, whose attention was grabbed by Animal as the drummer had started eating fruit from the basket Scooter had brought in.

“Hey, don’t you make a mess for the nurses to clean up Animal!” ordered Floyd. Animal shook his head vigorously “I be careful!” he replied.

“Alright then.” said Floyd. Turning back to Zoot he asked “Do you know who’s coming to see me tonight?”

“I think its Gonzo’s turn.He said to tell you he's really looking forward to seeing you.” said Zoot. Because so many people wanted to visit Floyd, Kermit had Scooter draw up a roster to ensure Floyd wouldn’t be inundated with too many visitors at once, and to allow the Electric Mayhem to spend the greatest amount of time with him, all while staying in the confines of hospital visiting hours. And it was no easy task! “Doctor Teeth will be coming once rehearsal is over and he’ll bring Janice with him.”

Floyd smiled at this news “Ooh yeah. There’s something to look forward to.” He said. “You know something man, she’s been a little nervous and on edge each time she’s come to visit. Janice mustn’t like hospitals.”

“That because her granny die.” announced Animal.

“Quiet Animal!” hissed Zoot; suddenly remembering that Animal was with him when Doctor Teeth told him about Janice’s granny dying during surgery. Animal had obviously heard their discussion. ‘The last thing we need is for him to blurt out the whole story!’ he thought. The door to the room opened just then and Ben came in to check on Floyd.

“Hello Floyd!” he called.

“Hey there Ben!” replied Floyd. “Have you just started?”

“I sure have. I’m working from 1.30pm to 10pm tonight.” said Ben. Floyd turned back to Zoot and asked. “Did you say that Doctor Teeth and Janice were coming after rehearsal?”

“I did say that. In fact Animal and I had better head off and find a taxi.” said Zoot. “We have to be at the theatre by 2pm.”

“But it’s Tuesday. Only Kermit and Fish-Face go to the theatre on Tuesdays!” said Floyd.
“Who’s Fish-Face?” asked Ben.

“Nigel the orchestra conductor.” explained Zoot, making Ben grin. “No Kermit thinks we need an extra rehearsal to help us all focus on the other shows we’re gonna be doing before Nureyev arrives.”

“Well the swamp brother may be right.” said Floyd. “I know one thing for sure. There will be no way the Mayhem will be allowed to perform that night!”

Zoot laughed once more “You’re probably right! I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said as he picked up Animal’s chain. “Let’s go Animal!” Animal dropped the fruit basked to the floor and clambered to his feet. “Bye Floyd!”

“Bye man!” Floyd called after him.

“Bye bye!” shouted Animal.

Floyd watched Ben pick up the remains of the fruit basket Animal demolished and placed it back on the chest of drawers. “Hey I’m sorry man. I told Animal not to leave a mess for you to clean up!” Floyd said apologetically.

“Oh it’s alright Floyd. He didn’t make too big a mess.” Ben assured him as he went to fetch the thermometer he brought in with him. “Okay Floyd…..”

“I know – open wide!” Floyd grumbled and dutifully opened his mouth. Ben grinned and placed the thermometer in his mouth and picked up Floyd’s wrist to check his pulse. While Floyd was waiting for Ben to finish his observations his thought’s turned to something Animal had said when he mentioned to Zoot how uncomfortable Janice was each time she came to visit him. ‘That because her granny die.’ Animal had told him. ‘Come to think of it, Zoot hushed him up pretty quickly! Wonder what’s happenin'?’ he thought.

Ben removed the thermometer and checked the reading. “All fine Floyd.” He confirmed with a smile. “Keep going at this rate and I’d say you should be home on Thursday.”

Floyd grinned “I sure do hope so man. Much as everyone has taken good care of me, I can’t wait to get outta here!”

Kristine73

Reaction score
Chapter 18

Scooter peered anxiously out the theatre door, looking for any sign of Zoot and Animal. Rowlf had informed him the two musicians had not arrived yet and he was getting worried. On hearing this Scooter agreed to wait at the door while Rowlf went try to distract Nigel. Unfortunately it had now gone 2.10pm and Nigel was on the warpath, making all manner of threats. Slim had managed to slip out of the orchestra pit unnoticed and came to join Scooter at the door.

“Any sign of them Scooter?” asked Slim anxiously.

“None whatsoever!” replied Scooter.

Slim shook his head in despair. “I hope they get here soon. Nigel is really going to town in there! He’s threatening to have Zoot and Animal removed from the orchestra. He’s say he will…..Mr Kermit!” Slim exclaimed.

“Hello Slim. Is there a problem I need to know about guys?” asked Kermit as he came to join Scooter and Slim at the door.

“Problem? No, no! There’s no problem boss – is there Slim?” replied Scooter eagerly.

“No problems at all Mr Kermit!” agreed Slim.

“Hmm.” said Kermit. ‘There’s a problem! I know that ‘no problem boss’ routine too well!’ he thought. ‘And Slim has learnt it extremely quickly too!’ Rather than pursuing it Kermit said to Scooter “I have a journalist from ‘Dance’ Magazine in my office at the moment Scooter. I am going to be giving her a tour of the Muppet Theatre and I will be unavailable for the next hour or so.”

“Check chief!” said Scooter.

Ever since his big announcement on Saturday night Kermit found everyone involved in the Muppet Show to be very keyed up and excited. It seemed all anybody could talk about was Rudolph Nureyev being on their show, and the situation was not helped by constant requests by the newspapers and television stations for interviews. In an effort to get his troupe to focus on the other four shows which were going ahead between now and Rudolph Nureyev’s appearance Kermit had decided to call an extra rehearsal Tuesday afternoon. Normally only he and Nigel would come in on Tuesday’s to go over what pieces of music the guest wanted to perform and other musical interludes. However Kermit thought an extra rehearsal would be just the thing to help bring everybody back down to earth. Additionally, it would be nice for the journalist Kermit was hosting to get a chance to see the inner workings of the Muppet Theatre.

Scooter remained at the stage door waiting for Zoot and Animal, as Slim had to return to the orchestra pit. A moment later he was joined by Dolores, who had managed to sneak away herself.

“Still no sign of the guys?” she asked Scooter worriedly. “It’s drag city in there at the moment!”

“No.” replied Scooter. Just then Scooter and Dolores saw a taxi pull up, the passenger door opened and Zoot got out.

“Oh thank goodness! They’re here! I’ll go tell Rowlf!” exclaimed Dolores and raced back out to the auditorium. Scooter headed down the steps to join Zoot, who was trying to pull Animal out.

“Come on Animal!” Zoot shouted. “We gotta get inside! Leave that seat cushion alone!” Zoot finally managed to pull Animal out of the cab, then turned and saw Scooter. “Here Scooter, hold onto Animal for a moment please?” he asked. “I gotta go pay the driver!”

“Sure Zoot!” replied Scooter, as he held on tight. Animal was jumping up and down and laughing at Zoot, who had his head stuck through the driver’s side window of the taxi and was arguing.

“Oh for the love of peace – take it all you clown!” Zoot exclaimed as he threw the money at the driver. The driver grumbled something intelligible and drove off. Zoot shook his head with disgust and turned to Scooter “That low-life! He got lost! He ended up taking us out to LA harbour! I finally had to give him directions myself. And just then he said he needed to charge us extra because he would have to fumigate his cab after Animal rode in it!” Animal reacted angrily to Zoot’s last statement, lunging after the taxi, which forced Scooter and Zoot pull hard on this chain to prevent him escaping.

“KILL! KILL!” bellowed Animal at the disappearing cab.

“Later man!” said Zoot, as he dragged on Animal’s chain. “Scooter, do you know what time it is?”

Glancing at his watch Scooter answered “It’s 2.20pm Zoot.”

“Oh man, we are so dead!” moaned Zoot. Heading up the stairs Scooter, Animal and Zoot entered the theatre and were met by Rowlf. “Finally! You’re here!” Rowlf exclaimed “What kept you Zoot?”

“Believe me, you don’t want to know!” Zoot replied.

“Well that is a shame, because I do!” A quiet voice said.

Scooter, Rowlf, Animal and Zoot froze. They slowly turned to face Nigel, registering that his face was dangerously impassive.

“Nice to see you have finally decided to grace us with your presence.” said Nigel before snapping “Musicians lounge – NOW!” Nigel stormed off upstairs while Zoot and Animal followed him. Scooter and Rowlf watched from downstairs as the musician’s lounge door opened and was slammed shut a moment later making them both jump slightly. Slim and Dolores, who had been watching from the wings came over to join them.

“Poor guys.” murmured Dolores. “Nigel is going to give them such a going-over.”

“Do you think we should say anything to Mr Kermit?” asked Slim.

“No he’s busy with a journalist at the moment” replied Scooter.

“Mind you, I think I may just head down to the cafeteria and tell Doctor Teeth and Janice what’s happened.” said Rowlf, leaving the others backstage for the moment. Rowlf was more than a little worried about what Animal might do to Nigel. Without Floyd to keep Animal in line, the fact that he was already angry about what that cab driver had to say about him plus Nigel now having a go at him…..it did not make for healthy contemplation Rowlf thought as he went downstairs.

Doctor Teeth and Janice were sitting together enjoying Gladys’ Kamikaze Special, which consisted of hamburger, fries, apple pie and milkshake, while discussing what would be happening with the Electric Mayhem for the next few shows. Floyd would be unavailable for Rich Little’s show, so Slim Wilson was going to play in the orchestra again and the Mayhem would not appear at all. It would also mean that only Janice, Animal and Zoot would be performing weekly for the foreseeable future. However Doctor Teeth was determined to make the best of the situation and was already busy planning what songs the Electric Mayhem would perform once they were back to full strength.

“I was thinkin’ about doing ‘New York State of Mind’ when Floyd is ready to come back.” Doctor Teeth told Janice, in between bites of his hamburger. “It would be positively perfect – nice and slow, Zoot on the sax, yours truly on piano and we’d be able to showcase Floyd. Perfect!”

“Fer sure it would!” agreed Janice, who was finishing her apple pie. She looked upstairs and commented “Like, I haven’t heard much of the band rehearsing, have you?”

“Now you come to mention it no I haven’t either. Wonder what’s going down?” said Doctor Teeth.

“Doctor Teeth!” called Rowlf, who had just come into the cafeteria.

“Hello Rowlf, do like need me now for Vet’s Hospital?” asked Janice.

“No but we do need Doctor Teeth upstairs.” replied Rowlf.

“Why? Like what’s wrong?” asked Janice, exchanging a worried look with Doctor Teeth.

“Zoot and Animal arrived about 20 minutes late for rehearsal and Nigel has hauled them off for a lecture” explained Rowlf.” I’m worried that Animal…..”

“Say no more!” said Doctor Teeth “Just let me finish my milkshake and I’ll come right up.”

“Thanks Doctor Teeth!” replied Rowlf who turned to head back upstairs. Before Rowlf could begin climbing a massive shout of “Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!” came drifting down from backstage. Doctor Teeth, Janice and Rowlf exchanged horrified glances. There was only one person that voice belonged to.

“Somehow I think I’m gonna have to forget about my milkshake!” murmured Doctor Teeth, leaping up from the table Doctor Teeth raced up the stairs with Janice and Rowlf running behind him.