Muppet figurine printouts

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hey engineernerd, I have some questions about your remarkable balcony printouts:
• Are they to size? Or do they need to be converted to 300 dpi for the proper measurements?
• Do you have any blueprints or instructions on how to make them?
• What material did you use to adhere the printouts to? Wood, plastic, etc.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Engineernerd

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Hey engineernerd, I have some questions about your remarkable balcony printouts:
• Are they to size? Or do they need to be converted to 300 dpi for the proper measurements?
• Do you have any blueprints or instructions on how to make them?
• What material did you use to adhere the printouts to? Wood, plastic, etc.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
They should be to size, I actually printed mine from the original PSD file. I figured that format would be a little friendlier for everyone.

I don't have any blueprints. I'm working on something that will help. Be patient.

They entire thing is foam core board. I like the black stuff cause the seams dont show as much. I use some double sided adhesive to adhere them. The curved fronts where done with thin card stock,

If you look at the "Building Rowlf's Piano" page under articles, you'll get a pretty good idea how I did it. I'll try and post some picture later in the week from the back so you can see some construction details.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
So 72dpi it is, it's mostly line art so I guess it'll be fine. What do you use to form the foam core together? Statler and Waldorf aren't necessarily "heavy", but I'd imagine they'd put a strain on the foam core. Really excited about the blue prints, but I'll try and be patient! And thanks!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I didn't use foam core for mine. I used corregated plastic, you know the signs that "vote for me" politicians use? There's a plethora of those around all the time, just drive up and take a few. they also make wonderful puppet mouth plates.

Anyhew, I used some of that to make my set out of.

Engineernerd

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
So 72dpi it is, it's mostly line art so I guess it'll be fine. What do you use to form the foam core together? Statler and Waldorf aren't necessarily "heavy", but I'd imagine they'd put a strain on the foam core. Really excited about the blue prints, but I'll try and be patient! And thanks!
Hmmm.... Actually, they were supposed to be 150 dpi. If you can wait til the weekend, I'll fix them.

The whole thing is actually held together with (lots of) hot glue. I use the low temp stuff to keep my fingers whole.

This is a Star Wars site I got some of my techniques from:
http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/diorama/ep6/ep6.html/palparrivalFront.asp

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Well, if you saved them in PS using the "Save For Web" option, it automatically resizes the image suitable for screen res at standard 72 dpi. In other words, if you had an image, say 8" x 10" @ 300 dpi, saving it for the web would resize it to a massive 33" x 41" give or take a half inch, at 72 dpi. The nice thing about Adobe's "Save For Web" feature, is that the jpeg compression isn't as harsh as typically can be as you have the option to control the quality.

So to clarify, the ceiling piece of your beautiful balcony for instance, downloads at approximately 10" x 20" @ 72 dpi, but based on what you're saying, it should be 5" x 10" @ 150 dpi?

Engineernerd

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Well, if you saved them in PS using the "Save For Web" option, it automatically resizes the image suitable for screen res at standard 72 dpi. In other words, if you had an image, say 8" x 10" @ 300 dpi, saving it for the web would resize it to a massive 33" x 41" give or take a half inch, at 72 dpi. The nice thing about Adobe's "Save For Web" feature, is that the jpeg compression isn't as harsh as typically can be as you have the option to control the quality.

So to clarify, the ceiling piece of your beautiful balcony for instance, downloads at approximately 10" x 20" @ 72 dpi, but based on what you're saying, it should be 5" x 10" @ 150 dpi?
You got. I'll resave them all as soon as I get the chance. When I did them for myself I printed them from the PSD. I could send you that if you want to private me your email. Most of the print stuff I've done is CMYK Tiffs, typically my JPG's are only for web. I'll keep that in mind for the future, thanks for letting me know.