Muppet Film and TV References

GuySmiley

Reaction score
I know that we've had a few of these on other threads (Simpsons etc), but thought it might be good to have a thread that combines them all. So, if you can remember a reference, then get posting!

I'll start us off (and sadly, this is the only one I can think of at the moment).

In the film Three Men and a Little Lady (Steve Guttenberg, Ted Danson, Tom Selleck) - they are throwing a party to try and attract women and one of them puts on some music to try and impress her and ends up putting 'Rubber Duckie' on instead. That was pretty funny!

Not a brilliant one, I admit, but I'm sure the rest of you can do a lot better!!!!

Guy!

Foreignman

Reaction score
There is a reference to the Muppet Family Christmas in the Animanicas song Video Review:

Yakko: Hey, look at this store!
Wakko: There's movies galore!
Dot : We've seen 'em a thousand times over before
YW+D : And that's why our brains don't work anymore!

Yakko: "The Player" is a movie
About finding fresh new scripts
Like "Rambo 3"...
And "Rocky 5"...
And "Star Trek" Number 6.
Dot : Eva joined with Zsa Zsa
And they formed a "Sister Act"
But both were "Unforgiven"
Because neither one could act.

Wakko: "The Hand That Rocked The Cradle"
Once belonged to "Hook", you see
But it got bored and so it joined
"The Addams Family".
Yakko: "Amadeus" was a genius
"Beethoven" was a dog
The "Muppet Family Christmas"
was about a pig and frog.
Dot : There was a sled named Rosebud
And a "Citizen" named "Kane"
He rode it 'til the snow was melted
Now he's "Singin' In The Rain".
Wakko: The "Princess Bride" got married
To the handsome "Prince Of Tides"
Which now makes her dad, "The Fisher King",
The "Father Of The Bride".
YW+D : And pretty soon you'll find them all
Inside the "TV Guide"
Along with all the stars you like to see!

Dot : Like Hitchcock and Spielberg and Oliver Stone
Yakko: Shirley MacLaine and Sylvester Stallone.
Wakko: Francis Ford Coppola, Hepburn and Tracy
Dot : Robert Zemeckis and Martin Scorcese.
Yakko: Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Woody Allen and Mia
Wakko: Robert Deniro and Andy Garcia.
Dot : Sophia Loren, Barbra Streisand, Joan Crawford
Yakko: Paul Newman, Rock Hudson, Spike Lee, Peter Lawford.
YW+D : Jack Nicholson, Brando, and Marilyn Monroe...
And that's all the people we know!

---

Cast : We're glad the dinosaur is gone
He was an easy mark
But if we ever miss him
We can rent "Jurassic Park".
So when it comes to clunkers
Like "The Babe" or like "Presidio"
YW+D : Don't pay $7.50
Just catch 'em on home video.
As for us it's bye-bye time
So long now, toodle-oo.
We've had quite enough of this
Cast : Video revue!

Foreignman

Reaction score
Also in Family Guy' I think there have been one or two references. The one I can remember off the top of my head is where Stewie is playing in his room with Kermit and Miss Piggy dolls and threatens the Kermit doll that he;ll kill Miss Piggy if she does't give him the money, or something like that.

Foreignman

Reaction score
Found another one, this is said by Mr. Jimmy James in the entirely to underrated show "News Radio":
"Let me tell you something, little Miss... Advertising pays our bills, alright... advertising pays your salary... advertising is what made this country great... What was the Constitution of the United States?... No! It is an advertisement... an advertisement for liberty... when in the course of human events... I'm telling you... that's up there with 'Put a Tiger in your tank' and 'Where's the beef'... Don't you understand? I'm sorry... I've got to get some air... **** if it wasn't for advertising... you know what you two'd be doing, huh? You two'd be giving out Sesame Street tote bags during PBS pledge breaks... 'cept they wouldn't say Sesame Street on them.. Nooo... they wouldn't say that... that would be....? ADVERTISING!!! That's Right!! ****, if you two had your way there probably wouldn't even be any Sesame Street would there?... Would there?!! There'd be no Ernie would there... Nooooo.... there'd be no Bert... bye bye, bye bye to Grover... bye bye to Cookie Monster... NO! There'd be no Snuffleupagus, would there, and get that trash can... cause there'd be no Oscar the Grouch... NOT TO MENTION... KERMIT, THE **** FROG!!!!"

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
In "The War Of The Roses", Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner are in their house on Christmas Eve with their kids, and on a record player, the "Sesame Street" cast can be heard performing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas".

Useless fact: 3 actors from "War Of The Roses" (Danny DeVito, Kathleen Turner and Dan Castellenata) all have appeared on "Sesame Street"...DeVito and Turner in live-action, and Castellenatta in his best-known guise...as the voice of Homer Simpson.

There was a "Sesame Street" reference in the first "Lethal Weapon"...I'll have to watch it again to catch it.

Useless fact 2: If we include specials, then at least 5 people who have been in a "Lethal Weapon" movie have appeared on "Sesame Street" (Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Darlene Love, Joe Pesci and Chris Rock).

"Saturday Night Live" has had frequent "Sesame Street" references. One I can think of off-hand...On a "Weekend Update" in 2001, Jimmy Fallon did a story on firings at Sesame Workshop. He did an impression of The Count, and then said "the firings were brought to workers by the letters F and U".

Useless fact 3: Including specials and the movie "Follow That Bird", 11 SNL alumni have appeared on "Sesame Street" (Chevy Chase, Laraine Newman, Jane Curtin, Julia-Louis Dreyfus, Martin Short, Billy Crystal, Joan Cusack, Victoria Jackson, Ben Stiller, Mike Myers and Chris Rock)

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff

Foreignman

Reaction score
Found another reference, last night on Just Shoot Me it was an episode where Maya goes out with a puppeteer who has his own kids show(played by French Stewart (otherwise known as Harry from 3rd rock from the sun)). Well when Maya asks how he got into it he says he was inspired by Sesame Street. French Stewart goes on to do this whole monoluge about Sesame Street, but I can't really remember it except for the line, "you have no idea how much sense cookie monster can make when you're stoned." You'll have to watch it yourself to see.

SuprGro78

Reaction score
Muppet References

On an episode of ER The Rocket romano doesn't want to give a vegetative girl a central line or something like that and Carrie the Chief of the ER is there and they are fighting. Anyway the mom of the girl has been telling Carrie how she likes to watch the Muppets. Rocket starts yelling at Carrie and calls the muppets Sesame Street and Carrie says It's not sesame street it's the muppet show. They're different. (that's how i remember it not verbatim or anything)

On the subject of Jimmy Fallon, he has a comedy album coming out or already out. On one of the songs there is some weird reference to Kermit and Jim Henson, I remember reading about it in the Rolling stone he was on the cover of a few months ago.

Later

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just saw an episode of Garfield and Friends in which Garfield didn't want to film his cartoon (the title is Garfield in Flat Tired), and the director needs a replacement, and he needs someone who has musical talent (Odie comes out in a Straw hat and Cane), who can act (Odie comes out with a skull barking the sololoquy from Hamlet), and who is funny (Odie stretched his face infront of the camera). The Director shouts "I know who we can get! Get me Kermit the Frog on the Phone!"

radionate

Reaction score
Ben-

Did you translate this yourself, or did you find the monologue somewhere online? The reason I ask is that I would love to use it for any auditions. It’s a pretty funny little speech.