1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppet Film and TV References

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by GuySmiley, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Robot Chicken does it again.

Ernie and Bert split up as roomates, and Bert gets a new one off of Craigslist... with obvious results.

And they used some Muppet Show Palisades accessories in the background, of course.

2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad they took a slight moral high-ground at the end by having Bert not be turned into the same kind of freak the roommate was. It was actually a pretty funny bit.

3. Drtooth

I'm just happy they didn't kill off Ernie, Bert, OR ALF. The killing off kid's favorite jokes have been done to... well... death.

(and they killed Handy Smurf off anyway, but that was kinda funny and important to the skit).

But the one joke I really liked was Ernie pulling off his nose and the roommate saying "I can do that too!"

4. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Bert rooming with ALF? Whoa- I'm not sure if that's better or worse than Ernie. Ha! I kill me!:fishy::p:zany:
    Thanks for the tip on that- as both a Muppets fan and ALF fan, that's doubly cool for me. (Though I'm not really a fan of Robot Chicken- but I've seen some sketches here and there and it can be quite funny when it keeps things clean.)

5. Drtooth

ALF was a series of other skits where he replaced the Alien in the Aliens movies.

And he didn't die once.

6. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Oh, okay- I thought he was in the Sesame Street sketch. Who was Bert's new roommate then?:( (or perhaps just a new previously unknown character)

7. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Family Guy had a gag where Stewie rode a bike like Kermit did in the Muppet Movie. Stewie Long Legs just blew your mind lol

Daniel

8. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

On 8 out of 10 cats does countdown James Corden referred to Statler and Waldorf.
    While on Graham Norton he had Seth Macfarlane on it, who talked in the voice of Kermit the Frog for a bit.

9. fozzieisfunny

fozzieisfunny Well-Known Member

I don't know if anybody said this already, but I'll put it anyways:

In Victorious on Nick, the main teenagers are going to be in a parade and have a cupcake float, that is going VERY slowly. The following dialogue happens:

Tori: What street are we on???
    Beck: Let's just say we're on Sesame Street.
    Cat: Oh, I love Sesame Street! Sunny days....
    Jade: NO!!!!!!

DrDientes and LouisTheOtter like this.
  10. Drtooth

Here's an old one from the sitcom Bosom Buddies. The episode where they accidentally drop a water balloon on Richard Nixon's car, and Tom Hanks's character finds all the trouble they're in as a sign that it's time to stop acting childish. He even wants to refuse the business of a novelty toy company (they run an advertising agency, you see)... to which Peter Scolari's character says:
    "The Muppets may be childish, but Jim Henson can afford his own planet!"

(and seriously... let that thought sink in. Wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever if it happened?)

DrDientes and LouisTheOtter like this.
  11. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

Found another one the other night on ABC's 80's-centric sitcom The Goldbergs (the same show responsible for the wonderful "Fraggles dance their cares away" line referenced earlier in this thread):

The mother of the family, Beverly, is packing school lunches for her kids, and there's a great camera shot of youngest son Adam's lunchbox, which prominently features a first-season TMS promo image.

Adam's grandfather, Pops, sees what's happening and suggests that Beverly might want to put his lunch in a brown bag instead. She replies: "But Adam LOVES Kermie."

And since that's also MY real first name, both Mrs. Otter and I sagely nodded at the TV and smiled: "Yes. Yes, he does." :)

12. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

O the Food Network show, "Guy's Grocery Games", there was a chef whose name was Kermit and people would always go "like Kermit the Frog?" to him, I think he sad that we would've hit anyone who said that, but I'm not sure.

13. fozzieisfunny

Another reference from a Nick kid's show: iCarly!

Sam ( from iCarly) and Rex ( a ventroliquist's dummy on Victorious) are battling it out-- rap style!! Sam's all like:

Sam: You couldn't beat me, you're just a puppet! And, anyways, you look like a rejected Muppet!

which is actually really offensive, because everyone knows Muppets are NOT a ventroliquist's dummy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then, I tuned into Disney Channel and A.N.T Farm was on where they made this reference:

There was this doll beauty pageant at a carnival that the main kids in this show were going to, and there was a puppet that was a judge, and the puppet made some mean remark about Cookie Monster. WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ABOUT COOKIE MONSTER??????

14. Drtooth

How can we forget the Secret Mountain Fort Awesome full episode reference to Labyrinth entitled "Labyrinth"?

Pretty much the only episode I ever actually saw for that reason, so I don't quite know the character names. This pimply orb character with only arms and no legs gets lambasted by his friends because he can't dance. So the Troll King Jerry (!) abducts them, and (obviously) traps them in a maze.

Of note- the Magic Dance number has a dead on parody, as does the song from the Ballroom dream sequence (which is also parodied). The bog of eternal stank (made up of internet comments), and M. C. Escher stairs (replaced with escalators) are referenced, as well as a puppeteer that looks suspiciously like Frank Oz in one sequence.

15. WemblinFool18

WemblinFool18 Active Member

In Supernatural (which I don't watch btw, but my friend showed me this), one character says something along the lines of, "There's only two things I know for certain. One, Bert & Ernie are gay..."

16. fozzieisfunny

That is sooooo not true! The next time I hear that, I will rip my hair out!!!!

WemblinFool18 likes this.
  17. WemblinFool18

And of course in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, when the guy says he loves puppets, and says, I quote, "I love Fraggle Rock". IF I CAN FIND A BOYFRIEND WHO WOULD TRUTHFULLY SAY THAT I WOULD HAVE FOUND HEAVEN :D

And the big fat awesome puppet show at the end of the movie <3

18. WemblinFool18

I know right! I was angry, but at the same time it was hilarious, y'know?

19. WemblinFool18

I believe it was "Tickle me Herbert"

20. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

The Goldberges has had three muppet tv references.

-Dad tries to give son "the talk", one way he attempts is by using fraggle puppets of mokey and goober.

-Mom wants to give son "muppet show" lunchbox.

-Mom makes son Bert & Ernie birthday cake.

LouisTheOtter and WemblinFool18 like this.