Muppet Guest Liza Minnelli News

giovannii

Reaction score
Hey, found this news article on guest star Liza Minnelli if anyones interested.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post it into.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=92048
Boy From OZ creators used me: Minnelli

Sunday Mar 19 11:35 AEDT

Broadway diva Liza Minnelli has claimed she was used by the creators of the musical, The Boy from Oz.
An upset Minnelli, who was married to Peter Allen for seven years and is portrayed in the show along with her famous mother, Judy Garland, said she never gave the musical her approval and her request to see the script was refused.
Minnelli was so disheartened she boycotted Hugh Jackman's Tony Award-winning performance as Allen during the show's successful 2003-04 run on New York's Broadway.
"I don't believe in supporting people who use you," Minnelli, 59, said on CNN's globally broadcast TV talkshow, Larry King Live.
It is believed Minnelli was invited to the Broadway production, but did not attend.
Minnelli said she had no hard feelings toward Jackman.
When King asked her if she blamed Jackman, Minnelli replied: "Oh, God no. He's marvellous. He is wonderful".
But Minnelli refused to see Jackman on Broadway.
"I couldn't. I couldn't go," Minnelli, a winner of entertainment's four top awards - the Oscar, Tony, Grammy and Emmy - said.
Minnelli's disappointment was with the show's creators because "it was never approved of by anybody's family".
"I think the people that did it, they never sent me the script," Minnelli said.
"I asked for it and I thought, and I learned this from my mum, you know, to h**l with it.
"If they won't send it to me, then there's something wrong with it."
Minnelli's comments come ahead of The Boy from Oz's return to Australia in August, with Jackman reprising the role of Allen in arenas in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.
The Boy From Oz, based on the life of Allen and incorporating many of the flamboyant Australian entertainer's songs, was first performed in Australia in 1998 with Todd McKenney playing Allen.
The musical was a phenomenal success during the original Australian run with more than one million tickets sold and $A60 million earned at the box office.
Brisbane actress Angela Toohey will play Minnelli alongside Jackman in the upcoming Australian tour. Chrissy Amphlett will play Garland.
Minnelli was married to Allen from 1967 through to 1974.
Allen died of complications from AIDS in 1992.
Producer Ben Gannon said "no comment" when asked about the report.