1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Kubrick Collection

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by frogboy4, May 1, 2008.

1. karamazov80

karamazov80 New Member

It is true that, in terms of block figures, it is mostly about the style that you like best. Some like really exaggerated, large heads, some like the Lego style, some like more posability, etc. And one thing that Kubricks has over all the others is their licenses--Lost, Muppets, Metal Gear Solid, Star Wars, Disney, etc. They are all over the place! However, the articulation is not even a contest. Kubrick articulation is pretty much the same as Legos--neck, shoulders, waist, thighs, wrists (though they do have ball joints, which is a definite improvement over Legos). However, Minimates have articulation at the knees, elbows, and ankles, too, which is a pretty significant difference in terms of posability. Another drawback to Kubricks, I should mention, is that you have to import them, so they are much more expensive than domestically produced figures. . .and some series (I'm not sure if it is all of them) are released in blind boxes with super-rare variants, whereas with Minimates you know what you are getting, and variants are one per case. This is a Japanese vs. American thing, I think (the Japanese love their blind boxes), but it is another difference between the two. And a final difference is that Minimates are made to be mixed and matched around. They almost always have faces under their masks (sometimes hairpieces, too), and they often have inter-changeable outfits when relevant (like the C3 Batman/Bruce Wayne and the forthcoming Avengers and Iron Man sets).

edit: for comic book figure lovers, though, there really is no contest:
    http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/article.asp?ai=70043
    http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/article.asp?ai=69917
    (one of these links isn't working right for some reason, but they are doing a Classic, Avengers #1 box set which rocks something fierce)
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:) I like all of these types.

:zany: The Kubrick parts (arms, legs, clothes, heads, torsos) are made to swap-out with one another. I created a "Brundlefly" Muppet (The Fly reference) and swear I heard it say, "Kill me now!" He he.

:eek: I just got my Beaker today so I'll be snapping some photos of it soon. I have considered making some very simple, minimal sets for the collection. Something to match the style of the Kubricks.
  3. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

That's cool frogboy, can't wait to see that Beaker one.

I might want to do like a whole Disney group including the Muppets and Nightmare Before Christmas in there of Kubricks I just think that would look pretty cool, some cost a ton of money ;)
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Heeeeeeere's Beaker (meep!)

:eek: Here's the latest snapshot I took a minute ago. Still kind of a crude photo. I'll take another later. The only one I really want now is that blue Twiddlebug. It's hard to see Elmo in the photo, but that might have been passive aggressive on my part. :insatiable:
  5. JJandJanice

You know Frogboy, you really have made me want some of those, to the point where I cave in and bought that Gonzo one, :concern: . Couldn't help it
  6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm such a bad influence. :concern:

I really like the Gonzo sculpt. It definitely uses the Palisades work as a model. That's kind of what got me to want them in the first place. It's hard to find good-looking Gonzo product. But man, that Beaker was expensive! :eek:
  7. shimauta

shimauta Member

I have scoured their website and there do not seem to be any plans in the immediate future for more Muppet figures. Here is a link to their online store with upcoming releases including Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Sweeney Todd.

http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/vshop/catalog/reserves.php

I will keep an eye on the site though for more Muppet releases!
  8. JJandJanice

I bet it was expensive, I've seen some of the "serect" or chase Kubrick figures go for some huge bucks there on Ebay, it's pretty crazy, but neat
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Indeed they did. However, it can be said that Kubrick (or their company Mediacom) took the idea, made it stylish, and started a trend. Sort of like how Bobbleheads existed long before Funko started making them left and right.

Actually, I take it back about not liking them. more like most of them didn't really appeal to me. Clearly due to some of the licenses that the other companies had.

But then again, the only company I think really made terrible block figures was Playmates, and their Simpson's Blocko line. Talk about your disasters. Clearly the Simpsons would have been a license that Mediacom, or anyone else would have taken and run with. But since they wanted to stop any other company from making them, cutting into the Simpons action figure market, they made them all themselves. And a terrible job at that.

Personally, I have to give Mezco Credit for the Mez-its line. They really took the idea, and made it their own. The sculpted heads, especially. They clearly were the inbetween of block figure and mini-action figure.
  10. JJandJanice

Oh I bought the Edward Scissorhands of Mez-its years ago, I wasn't really thinking about collecting block figures, I was at the time just wanted it cause I love that movie. Now I'm looking at it and re-loving it, :D, I really like the Vincent Price one, awesome, just awesome.
  11. JJandJanice

Yesterday I got my Roger Rabbit and Gonzo Kubrick, which are standing on my bookcase, I'm loving them, think I'll be buying more, though I try to buy them in the US, which is hard to find, :) . It's ok I really need to save my money, :sympathy: ;)
  12. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

I have some Disney Kubrick's..

I have:

PETE from Plane Crazy
    CARD from Alice in Wonderland
    ROGER RABBIT
    MICKEY from Band
    Fantasia Mickey Mouse
    ARIEL
    GHEPETTO
    ALADDIN
    BLUE FAIRY
    and Kubrick Disney NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS set B wich has MAYOR, A CARD and OOGIE BOOGIE.

I'd like to get my hands on the Rocketeer, a few from Tron, Black Hole, a few "secret figures" and Muppets... hey Jamie! where on eath did you find the Muppet ones at? I've looked on ebay but all that comes up is Sesame Street and that Kermit one with a t shirt and I dont want that one (to MUCH $ if ya know what I mean dude).

:smirk:
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:o I searched for these Kubricks and found a final box of the Muppet ones through a site where I had to buy a whole box of them just to get an entire set. The spares were given as gifts to friends who would give them a good home. Beaker was won at Ebay auction.

:search: An entire box was purchased for Sesame series one through Ebay (same deal as the Muppets, but through ebay this time). A green Twiddlebug was packed in. I found an entire lineup of series two with no extras on Ebay. I won a blue Twiddlebug on Ebay. The color coated Oscar set was a gift (that started this all) and I'm considering the Supreme Kermit, but not sure if i want him that badly to justify the price. I think there's enough Muppet Kubricks unless in the unlikely event that they release other characters.

Just keep checking back on Ebay, I guess. It's a constant search. :)
  14. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

alrighty... thanks jamie dude! I'll keep lookin! ;)
  15. JJandJanice

You might like the collection I've got going for me now Stevie, I've got

Genie (Aladdin)
    Roger Rabbit
    Allen from Toy Store
    Santa Jack (NBC, one of my faves)
    Gonzo
    Black and White Mickey Mouse
    Black and White Minnie Mouse
    Jafar (Aladdin)
    Peter Pan
    Beast
    Pinocchio
  16. karamazov80

karamazov80 New Member

If they were released in the U.S. (and thus relatively inexpensive), then I may not mind so much, but having to pay exorbitant prices for the chance of getting what you want can be tough to justify for completists.

I actually ordered 10 blind boxed Muppet Kubricks a couple of days ago, with the hopes that I will get all 5 major figures. I'm crossing my fingers!

In other Kubrick-related news, one of my next big toy investments will probably be either this:

http://www.youbuynow.com/item/Alien_Powerloader

or this:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10067788

How awesome are they? But lordy at the price!

--also, to MickeyMuppet's post, I bought mine from www.verycoolthings.com but they appear to be out of them now. Sorry--
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

:excited: Good selection. I love these little figures. My blue Twiddlebug came the other day and I was so happy to get him. I'm also trying to get the entire MindStyle Henson City Critters collection, but that's taking some time. Darn blind boxes. I wish companies would have more confidence in their product. I'd pay a higher price just to get the whole set. Anyway, I've been pleased with the Critters. I wish they made Fraggle Kubricks. Now that would be cool!

:search:Crossed fingers for your Muppet collection. I had great timing in getting my collection. Prices have gone up while availability has diminished just in the last couple months!

The Alien stuff looks funky too. I really do enjoy the simple style of the Kubricks.
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You guys, I envy. My Kubrick collection is basically Tony the Tiger, Some Japanese Elephant Cereal mascot, some Japanese Gorilla cereal Mascot (all from the Kellogg's line) and Grover. I've always meant to collect these, but they're pretty pricey (and the Kelloggs ones, frankly, I got for 4 bucks each).

There are also blister pack ones, but I've only see Kinnikuman (ask me if you don't know), Batman, and General Mills Monster Cereal (Count Chocula and the like) in blisters, rather than blind box.

I think they're starting to make them specifically for the US market now. I doubt Count Chocula and Frankenberry are well known outside the US (Japan especially, since Breakfast cereal isn't as prominant there as it is here).
  19. karamazov80

karamazov80 New Member

I'm pretty sure that those were only released in Japan (if they are targeted to the U.S., then it seems rather crazy to have to rely on the secondary market for all their U.S. sales), but it is a bit surprising to me that most Kubrick lines aren't released, at least, in the U.S. as well as Japan (a few sets like the Batman box set and the Gamestop Halo figures were released in the U.S., but these are the exceptions). Look at some of their licenses:
    -Muppets/Sesame Street
    -Star Wars (the single most popular action figure license in the country or the world)
    -Lost (forthcoming)
    -Batman: the Animated Series
    -Alien/Aliens
    -the Beatles
    -the Great Escape
    -Reservoir Dogs
    -Indiana Jones (forthcoming)
    -Andy Warhol

I would think that at least most (if not all) of these would be better sellers in the U.S. than in Japan. But, I guess they know what they are doing. . .
  20. shimauta

shimauta Member

Actually all of those titles are just as or almost as popular here as they are in the states. And even if a character isnt very well known here in Japan, the fact that it is popular in the states will tend to make it popular here as well. I really do hope that they make some more muppet/sesame street ones though.