Muppet Learning Keys

zns

Reaction score
I was just wondering about this particular product that was made a while back: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Learning_Keys

Does anyone know how this device worked? Is it capable of functioning on any other computer system besides Apple and Commodore 64 (I have a Dell system)? Are the games included inside the keys or is it just a keyboard without any games inside of it? Just though I'd ask. Thanx. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering about this particular product that was made a while back: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Learning_Keys

Does anyone know how this device worked? Is it capable of functioning on any other computer system besides Apple and Commodore 64 (I have a Dell system)? Are the games included inside the keys or is it just a keyboard without any games inside of it? Just though I'd ask. Thanx. :smile:
This is an ooooold product for old systems when floppy discs were still actually floppy. 1984. I doubt it would work on a modern system. Seems like an early version of what LeapFrog does now. I'd be interested to see if it could work with any of those tools.

rwisnia

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Muppet Learning Keys is computer specific. It has an input connector that will only interface with the computer it is designed for. The unit was designed to allow the keyboard overlay to be replaced with a varity of additional keyboards. For instance, Peal Software, in Calabasas, CA designed an overlay with large keys, to allow children with motor disabilities the abillity to push the keys with their fists or elbows. The electronics are fairly simple and consists of a contact layer utilizing conductive ink technology and a cable with a computer interface connector. The software, I believe was developed by an outside consultant in conjuction with Sunburst Communications, in New York. The product was originally developed by Koala Technologies, in San Jose, CA. I did the mechanical design and the electrical design was done, for the most part, by the Vice President of Electrical Engineering, Cecil Moore. Subsequently the product was sold to Sunburst and I believe they continued to manufacture the product for some time afterwards. By the way, I have the original product sketches and working drawings and the first product off the production line. My unit is the only one with a removable back cover. The remaining units were produced without the back cover due to the additional cost.