Muppet Origami

swinefolder

Reaction score
This is my first post to the Muppet forum. So hello everyone!

The reason I am posting in the "on the web" section, is that I have a web site that features origami models that I have designed. I have devoted a whole section to origami Muppets. Please visit and let me know what you think...

http://www.glynnorigami.co.uk/

I have been a Muppet fan for many years and an origami enthusiast for even longer. I am always on the lookout for new and interesting subjects for my origami designs and Muppets have proved to be a great source of inspiration over the years.

I do have a question though. Is my web site legal? Am I entitled to have Muppet characters on my web site? Seeing as I am not profiting from the designs I would have thought that this was a reasonable thing. If I was to consider something commercial though, such as publishing origami Muppets in a book, who should I ask? Is there a contact address or email for the Muppet Holding Company? I 'sort of' have permission from the Children's Television Workshop for the Sesame Street characters. I have a letter from a CTW attorney, Nancy Richman. Unfortunately, even though it is from an attorney, the wording is somewhat ambiguous, it start with;

"we hereby grant you the right...."

and then adds;

"..subject to CTW approval in writing for uses other than as provided below"

The problem I have is that there are no "uses listed below" so it could be regarded as a legal document that gives me the right to do absolutely nothing. If so, why write the document?

Thanks for your attention

:smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Nice site! I love these creations of yours! Oscar, best of all.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Those are quite clever. The Big Bird is quite nice but I especially like that you have a Rowlf. I browsed your site and came across your Grim Reaper greeting card. I'm thinking of purchasing one for my cousin, whose wife is about to have a child. :wink: Just kidding, of course. Keep up the good work!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
First of all, welcome and hello to you!

Second of all, LOVE the origami on your website! It's awesome! I just started to learn origami this year, I got one of those origami-a-day calendars. I haven't really been at it for quite some time, but after seeing your stuff, maybe I'll get back on it!

I don't know much about the legal stuff, but I hope you can have your stuff published in a book someday!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Welcome to Muppet Central.

Love your muppet origami creations! My favorites are Big Bird and Cookie Monster. Everybody should check them out.

Can't really help with your legal questions. I don't see why there should be a problem though. I would have to agree with your interpretation of the letter. "It could be regarded as a legal document that gives me the right to do absolutely nothing . . ."

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I wouldn't know about the legal stuff, but I love your muppet origami! I especially like Miss Piggy.