1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Palisades Action Figures Price Guide

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by Muppetfreak, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Muppetfreak Member

You guys on the forum know me as Muppetfreak but in "real life" I work for a company that publishes collectibles guides. (Priced Nostalgia Press)

Specifically, we are looking to publish a guide to the Muppet Palisades figures. This guide would feature color photos of all the figures, accessories and playsets released and would also include any variants, exclusives etc. It would also be a price guide to the line. If anyone wishes, I can direct you to a sample page from one of our My Little Pony guides. Though a different toy, it would give you an idea of what we would be looking to create. It features color photos of the toy, accessories, the value of the item and then a checklist of everything the toy came with for collectors to keep track.

I know that several people on these boards have a wealth of knowledge on these figures and many of you have either complete or near complete collections. I wanted to post this message here to give someone from Muppet Central the first chance at this opportunity.

We are looking for either an individual or a group of people who are interested in working together to gather the information or photos. Keep in mind, however, that revenue for the project would be divided if there is a group of people so I would personally recommend that you limit it to 1 to 3 people.

If anyone is interested, please email me at my work email (hillary@pricednostalgia.com) rather than through the forums or via PM because I check that address the most frequently. If you have some of the info or photos together already that you want to show to state your case, please just email me without an attachment first so that it doesn't get eaten by my spam bin. Once we have touched base, you can send over your materials in the next message.

I am happy to answer general questions, but I cannot talk about contract or money details in the forums so please just email me for more financial and legal-type questions and we can discuss privately.

One thing I wanted to mention so that people didn't think we were being tacky and going over Muppet Central's helmet, I actually have emailed and PMed both Kevin (Fozzie) and Phillip a few times over the last few years to see if Muppet Central itself wanted to be the "author" of the guide as a revenue stream for the site before I asked the general public, but I never got a reply. I have been stalling this project while I waited for a reply from them but the publisher is eager to release this soon, however, so I cannot afford to wait any longer.

I just want everyone to understand that no slight is intended.

Please let me know if anyone needs more info on this and I would be happy to answer as best as I can! :)
  2. muppetperson Well-Known Member

Lee's Toy Review has already beat you to it! Issue 165 has a guide in it with all the photos.Well nearly all of them.Maybe you could expand on it and include photos of the items that never made production such as Fraggle Rock and Muppet Babies prototypes.The toy review shows the Sesame street figures.It also doesnt show the gonzo weirdo idol,and some of the lunch box figures.For more photos, the best person to get in touch with is Kenneth Lilly (www.creatusmaximus.com)
  3. Muppetfreak Member

There isn't any "beating us to it" in this. :) The difference between the guides we produce is that they are for collectors by collectors. Unlike a larger publishing house which churns guides out quickly just to get them out there for a buck, our goal is to provide the most detailed and complete guides available.

In other words, we create the guides that are exactly what the collector's want instead of the usual "It's nice, but if only they had featured [whatever]."

Please let me know if that answers your question.
  4. Luke Active Member

It sounds like a nice earner for the publishing company, lol, getting someone else to do the work and take a share of the profits ... but then thats what publishing companies do i guess, haha.

I think there is a need for a collectable book like this, nicely presented and collated, and with high quality photos. Maybe an interview with Ken would be good and some photos of his more extensive collection with protos and stuff. One thing about the value - they aren't like Ponys, they seem to go up and down all the time according to demand. Companies come across cases of figures sitting in warehouses and the next minute ebay is flooded. There are some figures always much more high value though of course.

U know what, a whole Muppet collectable price guide would be an awesome idea - not just figures. Mammoth task but probably a lot of sales in it.
  5. frogboy4 Inactive Member

The Lee's guide (that I have and unfortunatly misplaced at the moment) is a comprehensive and amazingly complete guide to Palisades Toys Muppets line of figures. I never checked out the pricing from this magazine or others. I don't remember quite how that's listed or whether the scores are in the back index, but any new list is always needed. Why?

Well, these Muppet action figures have become very popular in the secondary market. Not all of them, mind you, but certain items. Strangely the stunningly accurate Swinetrek never took off! But the Mayhem stage and the Muppet Labs that many fans complained about are rare and desired items these days. There are avid figure collectors (not particular fans of the Muppets) who see the value in this line.

I was a bit too close to the making of these things to have pricing perspective. I always felt Beauregard, Clifford, Johnny Fiama, Uncle Deadly and Pops were some of the strongest sculpts, but they didn't sell better than various off-looking Kermits, Dare Devil Gonzo, Scout Robin and various other lesser sculpts. Boggles the mind.

The pricing for particular items will keep going up! It would be best to maintain an annual pricing guide.
  6. Muppetfreak Member

Actually, Luke, this Palisades guide is a sort of tester for a book on all Muppet collectibles. I have high hopes that we would do that in the future. I have long felt that the collectibles market has ignored as Muppet fans.

We are also sensitive to the changing markets. Even something like My Little Ponies are volatile with some ponies going from anywhere to twice their average value in random weeks. Our goal is to just give people a general idea of what their item should roughly be worth.

I just want to also clear up a misunderstanding that I guess I did not present correctly based on Luke's post. We are not asking for an author to do "all the work" so that we can make a profit. The author only presents us with the photos and text and then we do all layout, manufacturing, editing, polishing, marketing etc. The author also makes a royalty per copy sold that is more than we the company make per copy sold in bookstores.

I guess I was not clear if I gave Luke the impression that we were going to make the author do the work. In actuality, the author does a smaller percentage of work on it than you would think for a greater share of bookstore profits than we get.

We are a small company serving a niche market, we are out to provide the best guide to collectibles for fans that we can, it's definitely not a Harry Potter sized operation. :)
  7. Muppetfreak Member

Hi frogboy! Every time I post something on this site again I remember how much I love everyone and promise myself that I should be back on here more often. I wish I wasn't always so busy.

What we did with out last price guide was give price ranges to account for fluctuations in the market and then direct readers to a link on the author's website where they can find real-time updates to the price guide as things adjust.

On a side note, the challenge for publishers on this is that most stores will not stock a collectibles guide unless it includes a price guide. This is naturally frustrating because, as any collector or eBay seller knows, prices can move all around. This is why we've been doing ranges, coupled with a website.

While its impractical for a cost standpoint to do a new issue every year, I like the idea of having a download-able price guide update on either our site or the author's that people who own the book can just print out each year and tuck in the back.

In the end, its the photos that a lot of people really want. For everyone collector out there that has a ton of figures, there are so many more that have one or two and just want to drool over all the cool ones they missed and have that visual reference when they go to track them down. And as we get farther away from when these were released, accessories get lost and mixed up and its helpful to have that reference.

Anyway, just so people know, I am going to be out of town for the end part of this week so its nothing personal if I don't post back but I have already had one interested party email me about doing this. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I will post an update if that becomes the case.

I am still happy to leave this thread open, however, and I encourage people to give me their "wish list" of what you would most like to see in this guide. Big, full color photos so you can see details is something I can already guarantee out of the gate. :)
  8. muppetperson Well-Known Member

With respect, Lee's toy review is a small business and he is a collector himself.The Palisades Guide was very comprehensive apart from the very few things I mentioned.But yes, it would be good to expand upon that.And I would love to see a Guide that covers ALL Muppet collectibles.Good luck.
  9. Blinky_Fish Member

I have no shame - I'll do it.:rolleyes:
    • I have extensive knowledge
      One of the largest collections - Next to Ed and Trav
      It would be good to do the everything all encompassy-type thingie.

But Travis is your man I think if you want EVERYTHING - and I think the Bear is taking up his time.

You might want to try contacting the Jim Henson Legacy and work out a deal with them as well.
  10. Muppetfreak Member

I mean no offense to Lee as I have never seen his guide. I just mean that Muppet collectors deserve more than just a few pages in a guide about something else. In fact, my entire answer was based off of the fact that you said his guide was incomplete.

I know that for some people this is a sensitive topic. I am not looking to upset anyone or insult anyone's favorite guide, I assure you. :)
  11. muppetguy Member

Lees Review

Lee's review, IMO, is not the best out there. I also have a collection of he-man and she-ra items and the pices in lees were ALWAYS off. For example, one figure in the she-ra line which was only sold overseas which people spend 1,000.00 if still in the package, in lee's it says that she's worth 16.00. That was a while back, but after seeing that, I never refered to that magazine again. Just wanted to throw my 2cents in.. :o
  12. The Count Moderator

Hello. Did I hear something about a comprehensive Muppets figure guide? Please, Muppetfreak, contact me! I'm your frog, er bat. *Dream opportunity, not gona let this one get away!
  13. Muppetfreak Member

Spinerella? ;-)

The_Count I actually was thinking of you when I posted this in the first place because I remembered, ages ago, you mentioned you wanted to work on one.

Email me at hillary@pricednostalgia.com and we can talk. I have another interested party but I think its only fair that you both get a chance to prove who is best for the job. Or, if you prefer, you could work together.
  14. muppetguy Member

Muppet freak

you got it, Spinnerella. when I saw that, I was convinced they didn't know what they were talking about.
  15. JJandJanice Active Member

Hey there, Muppetfreak.

I too have a very nice collection of Muppet items. If needed I would be willing to take pictures of my entire collection. Now if it's a guide to just the Palisades line of toys I do have quite a few rare figures like Holiday Kermit and the Wedding set of Kermit and Piggy, plus the Jim Henson figure and Super Grover. But if it's a guide to all Muppet collectables than I really be really interested in helping out this book as I have some really rare gems in my collection such as Rowlf The Dog: Ol Brown Ears is Back CD and some toys from the 70s still in the package like the Fisher price Kermit and some of thoes stick puppets. Man just thinking about how cool it would be to do a whole guide to all Muppet items would be amazing. Please let me know what you think, thanks.

JJ Abeyta