1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Peter Pan

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GRandolph, Jun 4, 2009.

1. GRandolph New Member

2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I was the only person to buy it and read it yesterday? Here goes...

Now, off the top of the bat, (premptive strike and all that) someone's gonna say that the father should be played by Gonzo or another one of Dave Golez's characters... to keep up the tradtion of the father and Hook being performed by the same actor. And Lemme tell you... I have NO idea how that would have worked. Sam is an excellent choice for the father, even hijacking the narrator and the story... replacing any instance of England with America... and in a very in character pushy way.

We really got to see somewhat into a backstory, something most Peter Pan retellings never go into (I'm sure the most popular, Disney one didn't get into that depth), and really... you can tell Amy is a Muppet Babies fan here, just for the accurate drawing of what a young child version of Kermit would look like.

Piggy was just amazingly characterized, down to her not so random placement of French. Indeed I heard ALL the Muppet voices when I was reading it. Something that was inconsistent with Robin Hood (especially with characters who were introduced in that issue)...

And, well... there's nothing that can't be said about the art that we weren't already gushing over in the cover previews. This is the Muppet comic for people who hated the art of other muppet comics. We have very fluid versions that look exactly like their puppet counterparts. None of it seemed slavish, nor did it have to be stylized. I've seen numerous comics that have characters slavishly, rigidly drawn out of the style guides (certain artists in the Ren and Stimpy comic book certainly wither copied, traced, or just pasted pictures of the style guide into the comics). I especially loved the rumpled Kermit, trying to catch his shadow. looks JUST like the real thing.

All and all, we've got ourselves a great comic. Shame that the first issue was an establishing issue... But you just can't rush getting to Neverland... errr.. NeverSwamp. And I just am sitting pins and needles waiting for the next issue.
  3. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I'm impatiently waiting for mine to get here... NO stores around me carry it. Have to order by snail mail. :smirk:
  4. GRandolph New Member

Thanks for the review, Drtooth! I'm glad you thought the Muppet voices were right on, and Amy's artwork is indeed stellar!

Yes, plenty of Neverswamp fun awaits in issue #2, and I'm happy to hear you're looking forward to it!
  5. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Just got back from the comic store. Nobody's mentioned the nicely-toothed paper! This comic book has an entirely different feel to it. It really is like a story book. :flirt:

My only complaint so far is that I want more Muppets! I have a feeling we'll see Rowlf, Animal, Pepe, Fozzie and the gang soon enough. Don't want Amy to get carpal tunnel from all the inclusions! ;)
  6. Amy Member

That was precisely Boom!'s reasoning behind the more newsprinty paper-stock - to get a more traditional 'comic' feel.

me, I still prefer the more modern glossy stock - it replicates colour better, but whatever. As long as the final thing is legible ;)
  7. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I just noticed Peg Let #3 has the same paper stock too. Hmmm. Oh, and I am so glad Robin Hood is over. Make way for Pan.

Are you done with all of them yet? I know you can't disclose too much, but are there any other Muppet projects you're working on? By the way, it's been a long time since any artist has done the kind of justice to Scooter the way you have. He's a hard Muppet to get and you nail him each time. ;)
  8. Amy Member

Nope. Takes time to do 4 issues of comic (8 in my case, if you include Monsters Inc.) from pencils to full colour.

Yeah, no, sorry, can't say ;)
    I WILL be doing more Muppet work, that much is certain.
    But until Boom! formally announces anything, I can't give hints, sorry.
  9. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen the alternate cover, which is posted at Muppet Wiki (referred to as the "C" cover... It doens't say where it's exclusive to)? In the background of that cover are toys resembling Muppet characters, including Bert and Ernie. I guess Disney missed that; Roger Langridge has said that he's often tried to sneak them into the comic and Disney keeps making him take them out.
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yeah... I liked that too. When it comes to comics, I always think of how worn the colors of really old ones (ones as late as the 80's) possess.... On some of the real old ones, certain inks almost bleed through the page, making the artwork look illegible. We really have come a ways sine then... but I'm liking the glossy one for the same reason... it replicates the color better.
  11. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Is Nana supposed to be played by Camilla, or just a random chicken? They all look the same.

Also, a question for Grace or Amy: Do comic book writers and artists get residuals for their work?
  12. Amy Member

Yes, it's Camilla.
    The casting pecking order goes 'Camilla first, THEN send in the random chickens"

And whether artists and writers get residuals or not would be confidential information and not something we would reveal publically.
  13. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I finally got my copy today. Amazing. AMAZING. I'm stunned beyond belief at how gorgeous and funny and perfect this book is. One issue in and I already think it's the greatest comic book to come out of BOOM! that I've read so far. Excellent. 5/5 stars, ladies. Congratulations on such a wonderful book!
  14. muppetguy Member

Hello. I'm sorry I haven't read through the entire thread but wanted to say what I thought about the first issue of "Muppet Peter Pan". I have bought and read all previous Muppet comic titles, but in my honest opinnion, this one blows everything out of the water. I am a huge fan of how the characters look in this book. I wasn't too fond of how they were being portrayed in the others. I have to say, the writer for this book got all the characters spot on, to the point where when I was reading it, I could hear the actual character voices in my head WITH their unique phrasing. A big A + + + + from me here. I can not wait for the other peter pan issues to come out and hope that future issues, the characters will be drawn just like this.

Also, I like the way they are putting their own twist on Peter Pan. I also liked the back and forth with Sam and the narator. That made me laugh. GREAT STUFF I recommend this to anyone!;)
  15. GRandolph New Member

I'm so glad to hear everyone's enjoying Muppet Peter Pan!

Amy and I did indeed work very hard on it. :)

I hope everyone enjoys issue 2 just as much, and thanks again for your feedback. It means a lot!
  16. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I was actually thinking about skipping this one, because I was just so-so on Muppet Robin Hood. But Muppet Peter Pan was SO good, for all of the reasons mentioned here. The writing, the characters, the art were all just spot on! Exactly what they should be. I'm so looking forward to issue #2--good work!
  17. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I think the one thing I have a problem with muppet Robin Hood is that the writer, while he does a good job, doesn't really tell the story in a very muppety way until maybe the final issue. Half the time, you could swear he played it straight. While we won't get into Neverswamp until the end of this month, seems that this writer found the balance right off the bat.
  18. GRandolph New Member

Thanks for giving Muppet Peter Pan a shot, AndyWan!

It really is great to hear everyone's positive feedback - and yes, we will be having lots of fun in Neverswamp right away in issue #2!
  19. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I'm glad I did--it was great! Just perfectly Muppety! I found myself laughing out loud and re-reading some of it (the Narrator / Sam interchanges) aloud to my wife!
  20. haakonsmary Member

Any news on when issue #2 will be released?