1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Muppet reality pilot taped last summer

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Vic Romano, Jan 20, 2005.

1. christyb

christyb New Member

I like. Have you thought of helping us write Muppet Central The Movie Vic?

2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Ah ha! Love it when I get to use my patent-pending points system.

1 Big mouth Christy? Not going anywhere near that one.
    2 Vic, thanks. Though I was at 3680 before the posts got readjusted a second time for the deletion of the tubs and stuff.
    3 Nice outline Vic, would be interesting.
    4 If it's already done and it's a one-time thing, then I'd watch and would enjoy it oblivious to the fact that it's a parody of a reality TV show. Just so long as it stays as a one-time thing and doesn't lead to a continuing reality show, that's what I'm afraid of.
    5 Waiting for Muppets Wizard of Oz to watch/hear for myself. Not going to the thread here, gotten rully negative lately.
    Hope you guys have a good afternoon.

3. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well I read that wrong *whew* I thought it would be random people auditioning the Muppets themselves...I ONLY WANT steve, dave, kevin, bill, jerry, john, etc puppeteering our beloved Muppets(anyone remember the disaster when they let audience members audition Fozzie at Muppetfest?)

Ok...this sounds pretty funny actually. Reminds me of the ol skit with Fozzie and his dummy in front of Statler and Waldorf.

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I thought about it.... other than the American Idol-esque plot line, there was something pretty off about it. I finally know what that is. I prefer it when the refferences to the Muppets as Puppets is downplayed. I mean, the occasional snide comment is okay... like in the Jim Henson Tribute, when they talk about the guys under them that move when they move, or when Grover, last season playing with a small puppet, turned to the camera and said, "It must be fun to be a puppet."

Now, this idea is kinda cute, but I WOULDN'T WANT TO SEE IT AT ALL.

5. I think people are really misinterpreting what they mean here. I read the article to mean that it would just be a parody special of a reality show. The way I picture it is something kind of similiar to the Steve Martin episode of the muppet show where they are auditioning new acts. I don't think its going to be an actual reality show where anything goes, it will be a scripted spoof of it. I too despise reality shows but I think its a good idea personally. I will take new muppet material anyway I can get it. I know that the muppets have never and will never be the same since Jim Henson, but I am very happy that someone out there is trying to keep them alive. So lets all hope for the best. And as far as the Wizard of Oz, it is one of my all time favorite movies and I love the muppets. So I know I love the movie already. My only problem is I wish they still made movies that came out to the theatre first. I would love to see the muppets on the big screen again. Something I haven't done since Muppets from Space. Oh well, maybe someday. :)

6. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

Never say never.

7. All I'm saying is, as with anything that stays in the public eye for such a long time, things never stay the same forever. There is a definite distinction between the muppets of old school versus the new productions. I personally love both. Just because I miss Jim Henson's muppets, it doesn't mean there isn't enough room in my heart to love the new stuff as well. Hurry up and get here May, I want to see the new movie!!!!!

8. christyb

christyb New Member

Ditto that. And it better not air when I'm moving or I won't be very happy.

9. I here you there. It doesn't matter what I have to do when the movie airs. I may be skipping school or calling in to work just to watch the movie. And please believe I will be taping it. The cell phone will be turned off and the home phone will be unplugged. I get chills just thinking about it :D

10. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

Oh I certainly agree with you, I'm just saying the old magic may return someday down the road.

11. Oh I certainly hope so. I still think the muppets are magical. I'm watching my Muppets Treasure Island as I type this and every time I watch it, I realize more and more how good it is. A little off the subject but how come the muppets never created any seasonal holiday specials? I have so many Christmas movies done by the muppets but how come they never did anything for the holidays. Not that I totally still don't watch them out of season, I wish there were more.

12. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

Yeah, MTI is a great movie. That's a good question about the seasonal holiday specials, I really don't know why they didn't do any. It would have been neat. Great idea.

13. Yeah, I always thought a muppet halloween special would rock. They kind of toyed with the spooky stuff a bit on the muppet show with Alice Cooper and Vincent Price. They did a very good job of it back than so I always wondered why they never made a special for it. Nothing that would be too scary for the kids. Maybe the muppets gathered around sharing ghost stories or somehow being stranded and ending in a haunted house. Maybe I would be the only one to watch it but I think it would be cool.

14. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

I would certainly watch it. I believe there was a Muppets Haunted House or something similarly titled, in the early stages of development when Henson passed away.

15. I never heard that one. That would have been really good. Unlike all the naysayers who are very disappointed about Disneys intententions, I still have very high hopes. Disney did not purchase them just to do absolutely nothing with them. I think its going to be a very good year for us muppet fans. Since they have already taped the Wizard of Oz and this other reality show, it shows that they are definetly working full speed on new projects.

16. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

Mmm, I agree. I'm very optimistic about the future of them.

17. aww...my muppet treasure island is over now :( . Now I have my celebration of Grover DVD in. If I don't quit watching these shows, I'm not going to get anything accomplished today.

18. christyb

christyb New Member

Who says you have to get something accomplished?? But MTI does sound like fun. I think I'll watch it tonight. I'm bounce back and forth from liking Disney to not liking them. So far the Reality pilot has been the only thing I haven't liked. But that's because I don't like reality tv.

19. Dang I got kicked off the internet before my reply went through. So I'll have to type it again. What I said was that I agree with you 300% on reality TV. I think those shows are incredibly stupid and annoying. But I don't think its going to be a reality show in the typical terms that we think of. I think its going to be a parody. Kind of like an American Idol thing with new muppets auditioning and some of the classic muppets as judges. If thats what they are doing I think it would be really good. Ms Piggy or Sam the Eagle in type of a Simon type of role where they don't like any of the contestants would be hilarious. Piggy could be real jealous of any of the female contestants or Sam could be critical of all of them because they don't have "socially redeeming" acts.

20. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

I too thought a Muppet Halloween special would be a good idea for a while. Maybe have the Muppets dress up in costumes and they get together around a campfire and tell scary stories. Here's some of the ideas I had.

Gonzo telling the story of a Poultry-geist. About a little girl getting possessed by a ghost chicken and it's up to a priest, played by Gonzo, to remove the ghost.

Fozzie buys a ventriloquist dummy from a spooky store. But what he doesn't know is that the dummy comes to life and does evil things to anyone who tries to heckle it. Especially to Waldorf and Statler.

A spoof of a Twilight Zone episode, where Miss. Piggy finds herself in a hospital where she's a pig face in a world filled with Gonzos. Who are all played by Gonzo and his relatives. And Link appears to take her to a village where there are pigs like her.