Muppet/Sesame Question

Drtooth

Reaction score
I always wondered why you don't see Muppet Show Muppets (except for Kermit, of course) on Sesame Street. The only cases were in cameos in the first three Muppet Movies, and three specials (Jim Henson Tribute, Celebration of Muppets 30 years, and Muppet Family Christmas) and a few episodes of the Muppet show, but never Muppets on Sesame. The only time the truly interacted with each other was the Christmas special. Think about it. Oscar and Rizzo work well together, and how can you not love the scene with Janice, Cookie Monster, and Animal? (Dat my kin'na fella, as Animal said). The Fraggles, I can Understand (the exception of Travelling Matt, who had a cameo in MTM, they never leave their holes). Actually, in Muppets go to Disney World, you can see Sprocket (as well as some Dog City characters) at the Pet Care center.

My theories:

Copyrights (I'm not to sure, about this)
Transportation of Muppets from England to America (but the Sesame characters were on the Muppet show)
Jim didn't want to mix the two up.

If any of these are right, or you have the answer please post them!

beaker

Reaction score
hey dr tooth, great question. Yes, indeed it is sad you dont see Muppet show and Sesame characters crossovers.

In the 'Muppet canon/lexicon' Kermit and rowlf created
Sesame Street in 1969, or at least came up with the concept. rowlf appeared once on Sesame. Kermit was there since day one. Mahna Mahna was also on it. Now Splurge was on Sesame, but never on TMS, though he predates TMS.

You mentioned about Sesame and TMS characters...youre probably a big fan of Muppet Family Xmas like I am! Cookies talking to Janice, Fraggles with Robin and Kermit...it was great!
Sadly, it seems only Sesame/TMS crossovers happened in the late 70's/80's. (all three Muppet movies from the 80's had Sesame cameos) But no Sesame cameos in MFS, or since then.
Although Elmo appeared as a TMS show peer with everyone at Muppetfest/live show, I reallyc ant think of any examples of Sesame/TMS crossovers.

Sadly, because of the emtv fiasco, CTW(sesame workshop) got 100% of the rights to sesame. This is lame, as JHC should own half(but honestly, they kind of do)

Ok, hope this answers some of your questions...Sesame and TMS characters work so well together, and its a true shame it doesnt happen more often.

Then again, if I wa sin charge of the Muppets...
youd see Pepe on sesame, Bear cameos with Muppets,
and I would ensure a truly inspirationally celebration edgy
Muppet movie and show get made.

but thats just me...

MIKEB97

Reaction score
I wish we could see more of Kermit on SS today. BTW, how did Jim Henson get Kermit to be on the show?

dirtygulch

Reaction score
Originally posted by MIKEB97
I wish we could see more of Kermit on SS today. BTW, how did Jim Henson get Kermit to be on the show?
kermit was on sesame street since the beginning in the pilot where he and rowlf are trying to come w/ the name. also, kermit has sort of a presense to him that makes him lovable both on a puppet show aimed at older folk and a preschool show. and i think jim prolly put kerm on the show because he could. i mean after all, he made both shows, right?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Does Henson own Bear, or is it Disney? I thouht of another time they showed up on the same thing (though not actually together). It was that "We are FAMILY" video. I loved that it had Dr. Teeth in it. He hasn't really had big (speaking) parts in anything, just "Shalome" in MFS.

Fraggles, I'd understand, though. They can't come out of their caves, and all.