Muppet Shops & Travel

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I plan to drive with my family from Florida to Connecticut in Mid September. I will travel to see New York, and Washington D.C. too. I was wondering if you could tell me of any known places of interest for a puppet person in any of the surrounding states or along the way up/back?

Is the muppet workshop in New York still operating and allowing visitors? Where is it?

Thanks,
-Michele

BJC899

Reaction score
If your in NYC, you can see Avenue Q, that's a puppet show.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Go through Atlanta Georgie, they have a Center for Puppetry Arts (or something like that) there, and that's where Steve Whitmire is from. He and Kevin Clash appeared there together once years and years ago, and I believe Jim Henson did a well. It was during the years when the Jim Henson Hour was on TV, and they were rehearsing a small show and it was video taped, which was shown later at a comic book convention I visited in the early 90's.

I think there's a museum in Washington DC with all the old Sam and Friends' episodes!

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Hi Michele,

Go to www.puppet.org to visit the Center for Puppetry Arts website where they have performance listings, hours, contact info and other neat stuff.

Also, if you go to www.hensonfoundation.org they have a "Puppet Happenings" listing, which tells you of all the different kinds of puppet performances in the Greater New York area. You can either subscribe or read the current issue on the site.

Hope this helps.

- Billy :cool:

puppetguy

Reaction score
If you're going to CT, you might want to see the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry at the University of Connecticut in Storrs. This is also the only university in the country to offer undergrad and grad degrees in puppet arts. Matleo and I are both graduates of this program. well worth checking out

David
www.allhandsproductions.com

Jrogers75

Reaction score
Tztz said:
as far as i know, the muppet workshop does not allowed visits
I want to confirm this, I have called Henson Productions in New York and they do not have tours, I was told if they did allow tours they would never get anything done around there :stick_out_tongue: