Muppet Show DVD Nitpicks

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
VOLUME ONE:

ELTON JOHN

Cast:

Jim Henson--Kermit The Frog, Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Waldorf, Swedish Chef, Capt. Link Hogthrob, others

Frank Oz--Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam Eagle, various others

Jerry Nelson--Sgt. Floyd Pepper, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Camilla, various others

Richard Hunt--Scooter, Statler, Janice, various others

Dave Goelz--Zoot, various others

Louise Gold--Annie Sue, various others

THE STUFF YOU MAY HAVE MISSED:

During "Any Old Iron", the UK spot, one of the Whatnots is missing a pupil in his left eye. He also helps change Sam into his Elton John-style outfit with the pupil intact.

Conspicuous by his absence in the show's closing number, "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", as sung by Elton John and Miss Piggy, is Zoot. Methinks Dave Goelz was performing Animal (who was playing drums in the background) so Frank would be free to perform Miss Piggy.

This episode marks the debut of Annie Sue Pig.

JULIE ANDREWS:

CAST:

Jim Henson--Kermit the Frog, Rowlf, Waldorf, Swedish Chef, Newsman, Zeke, Beaver, various others

Frank Oz--Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Sam Eagle, Gramps, various others

Jerry Nelson--Robin the Frog, Camilla, Goatherd, Uncle Deadly, Slim Wilson, various others

Richard Hunt--Scooter, Statler, Beaker, Bubba, Sweetums, various others

Dave Goelz--Gonzo, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Lubbock Lou, various others

Louise Gold--Annie Sue, Louisey

NITPICKS:

Rowlf's remark during "The Lonely Goatherd": "Y'know, I saw the movie twice."

During the "At The Dance" spot, Kermit is dancing with Miss Mousey and Miss Piggy isn't freaking out, as she's dancing with another pig.

This episode is referred to in later seasons twice: once during the Alice Cooper episode and again during Carol Burnett's.

GENE KELLY

CAST:

Jim Henson--Kermit the Frog, Rowlf, Waldorf, Newsman, Capt. Link Hogthrob, various others

Frank Oz--Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, various others

Jerry Nelson--Sgt. Floyd Pepper, Lew Zealand, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Announcer, various others

Richard Hunt--Scooter, Janice, Statler, various others

Dave Goelz--Gonzo, Beauregard, various others

Louise Gold--Various others

Steve Whitmire--Various others

Kathryn Mullen--Various others

Karen Prell--Various others

NITPICKS:

We actually see the announcer in "Vet's Hospital" and "Pigs In Space"!

Drtooth

Reaction score
TravellingMatt said:
During "Any Old Iron", the UK spot, one of the Whatnots is missing a pupil in his left eye. He also helps change Sam into his Elton John-style outfit with the pupil intact.
If I remember correctly, the missing Pupil was not noticed until after the skit was filmed. And since it was a flawless take other than that, and it was a UK skit anyway, they decided to leave it be....

Whatever

Reaction score
I've said this before, but I REALLY wish the Muppet Show DVDs had closed captions. I miss a lot of the jokes without them (was born with a hearing loss) I mean, how hard can it be? THEY must have a transcript of the show somewhere. And then I wouldn't have the catch the jokes on the 10th viewing.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Calling them 'nitpicks' makes it sound like you're just whining about something.

Ryan

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
If I remember correctly, the missing Pupil was not noticed until after the skit was filmed. And since it was a flawless take other than that, and it was a UK skit anyway, they decided to leave it be....
No, they knew it. But it was the last thing filmed that day, so they had no time to reshoot it. That Whatnot is being played by Louise Gold.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh... they DID know it...

That makes it all the funnier!!!!!

I need to get this DVD... and a Player!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Rowlf's remark during "The Lonely Goatherd": "Y'know, I saw the movie twice."
I don't think that part's in the video. This is kind of what irritates me when they say that they have the shows uncut. Apparently, they do cut out other parts of the show in addition to missing first season openings, and Zoot's last note, etc.

Conspicuous by his absence in the show's closing number, "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", as sung by Elton John and Miss Piggy, is Zoot. Methinks Dave Goelz was performing Animal (who was playing drums in the background) so Frank would be free to perform Miss Piggy.
I have wondering about that. It's very possible.

I also agree with Whatever that they should have the DVDs or VHSs closed captioned. I can hear alright, but I do seem to miss some jokes when a line is spoken softly or against a noisy background or something like that.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I don't think that part's in the video. This is kind of what irritates me when they say that they have the shows uncut.
I think that's another joke you're missing becuse of the lack of Closed captioning. lol! The line is in the VHS release. I have it here, and Rowlf says it in the middle of the song. I also have the scene on the 1985 release, Children's Songs and Stories with the Muppets. Scooter shows a few clips from The Muppet Show he has kept in a book, and presents the Lonely Goatherd. "It takes place high atop a hill in Switzerland with Julie Andrews!"

Whatever

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Scooter shows a few clips from The Muppet Show he has kept in a book, and presents the Lonely Goatherd. "It takes place high atop a hill in Switzerland with Julie Andrews!"
LOL, the Sound of Music took place in Austria! Why did the Muppets, according to Scooter, do it in Switzerland? :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Whatever said:
LOL, the Sound of Music took place in Austria! Why did the Muppets, according to Scooter, do it in Switzerland? :wink:
Didn't they cross over the mountains into Switzerland at the end?

Besides, while The Sound of Music may have taken place in Austria, the story of the Lonely Goatherd could have taken place in Switzerland.

Just a theory.