Muppet Show DVDs Volumes 16-20

Luke

Reaction score
They are released in early September, and you'll be able to buy them everywhere, including places like Amazon etc etc.

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Yeah the Columbia packaging does not apparently have the Time Life branding, and i would think the discs are being sourced differently so i would go with what Phillip said.
I hope he is correct as well.. I am sure they will have their own branding, I just suspect they are not gonna spend any more money than they have to, and will just use the digital masters from the Time Life Series. It will be a wait and see game.

The first ten can be had now at timelife.com, is you use an online coupon, you can get all 10 delivered for under 150.00, and defer that into 4 monthly payments, with no intrest.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
I just wish they were doing this like the X-files. You want Muppet Show DVD? Here's season one, season two, etc...in a boxed set for each season, with xtra goodies and such. Would make things so much easier to collect the whole show.

Luke

Reaction score
You could be right regarding that, but i think they have to edit the DVD master too for the production stings and things so it would certainly not just be a straight copy ...... i guess some bigger companies have policies of closed captioning but yes, wait and see.

As for Timelife.com - she wants the columbia DVD's which have a chance of being closed captioned.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
I just wish they were doing this like the X-files. You want Muppet Show DVD? Here's season one, season two, etc...in a boxed set for each season, with xtra goodies and such.
I agree with you for the most part, but at this point, I'll just be happy if they release the entire series at all.... box set or not. Once all 20 volumes of the Columbia releases are out, that will make half of the series on DVD.

On the other hand, what *is* the big deal with no boxed sets anyway? I mean, we've got X Files, Simpsons, Buffy, Star Trek: The Next Generation, All In the Family and Friends al with boxed sets releases. Then there's releases like Space 1999, The Twilight Zone, Farscape and the original Star Trek series that have had volumed releases, but they're at least going in order which suggests that the studios intend to do the entire series. Now, not all of those examples I listed are currently popular if that's the argument one might want to make. The Muppet Show was way more popular than both the original Trek or Space 1999. Why no Muppet box set, or at least chronological volumes?

If you ask me, the whole situation has been really messy. I figure Henson wanted to release some uncut episodes on DVD because they knew that at least *some* would sell. Playing it safe, they went down the mail-order route with Time-Life. It's safe to say that those volumes did well as Columbia has opted to expand on those with 5 more volumes. But doesn't it seem typically sloppy of Columbia to not take on their own new catalogue, but instead issue cut-and-paste carbon copies for their line? A sensible decision would have been to recognize the popularity this year and set out to release a season every two months and have the entire show out on the shelves by the end of the year.

But who said marketing teams were sensible? If only Paramount had the rights....

grail

Reaction score
if paramount had the rights, then nobody'd ever get to do anything with them...(sorry, some pent up frustration here that i can't really talk about UNTIL THEY MAKE A DECISION...)

but you want the ultimate head scratcher when it comes to boxed sets? Transformers. season one is out (and in my collection), season two will be out in sept (and WILL be in my collection), and the only reason i figure that they lucked out and got the boxed set treatment is that Rhino's doing it, and they apparantly either ARE fans, or at least listen to them (or both). I love my Transformers boxed set...they make my fiancee's head hurt, but it's cool...

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
if paramount had the rights, then nobody'd ever get to do anything with them...

but you want the ultimate head scratcher when it comes to boxed sets?
Hubba wubba wha? You kidding me? Paramount has been bending over backwards for the Star Trek: The Next Generation boxed sets. They were announced at the beginning of 2002, and before the year is out, all seven seasons will be out on DVD. Complete, uncut, seasonally boxed, glorious transfers, with 4 documentaries on each one! Every two months a news season; and the closer they get to the end of the series, the more frequently they're coming (December will see both seasons 6 and 7 released).

To top that, they've already got plans to do the same thing with DS9 next year and Voyager is expected to follow in 2004. You really can't ask for much more than that without expecting to go completely broke.

grail

Reaction score
okay, you have a point there...i just have some...other frustrations that havn't been resolved yet. i hate waiting

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
I've got to believe that the decision to release the episodes as single DVD's lies with the target audience. I'm sure that they want to keep these accessible for a younger audience. Not many parents are going to plop down the cash to buy their kids a boxed set, but they would be more willing to buy them one when they see singles offered in the store, or rent one from the video store.

Remember, to the majority of the world, this is a kiddie show. I'm sure that even Palisades themselves are confident that the a good portion of their toy sales will be going to children whose parents get that nostalgic feeling from when they watched the show 25 years ago.

Boxed sets for the X-Files or Trek or similar shows that are in easily accessible reruns on multiple channels are one thing. Only the diehards are going to buy those sets, since the product is essentially already available for free, all you need to do is tune in. I don't know about you guys, but I can't get an episode of the Muppet Show or Muppets Tonight on any channel my local cable or satellite providers carry. If I could, I'd be taping the dickens out of them, as my son would love it!

Ken, you yourself said that the Muppets are in the unenviable position of not having a current product to help promote the toy line. Boxing the vintage Muppet episode sets up at price points that many families could not afford wouldn't go far in helping that cause. There's a reason why you aren't releasing all fourteen waves of Muppet Show figures at once in one big boxed set, right? :wink:

Keeping the DVD's and VHS tapes as single volume units helps to keep the Muppets accessible for a wider audience, and in the end I think that's a good thing for the longevity of both the Muppet franchise and the Palisades Muppet Show toy line as well.
It may make it inconvenient for the diehards with cash to burn to pick up each volume, but hey, I think it's for the greater good, and I'm all for it.