Muppet Show Season One DVD

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
I know this may be kind of a silly Q but so far the Season one DVD is only available in Area 1 (USA and neighbours), right?
Is there any news on when it will be released in Europe? If ever? ... :confused:

Thanks for helping me out!

anathema

Reaction score
BarbarianJ said:
I know this may be kind of a silly Q but so far the Season one DVD is only available in Area 1 (USA and neighbours), right?
Is there any news on when it will be released in Europe? If ever? ... :confused:

Thanks for helping me out!
If you're referring to the Muppet Show, then it's due out in the UK in November, and I think there's a German release due around the same time. If you're referring to Fraggle Rock, then I don't know :-(

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Region 2 Season Set Information

There is a region 2 release of "The Muppet Show - Season 1" planned for release on November 14, 2005 from Disney. The set will be just like the region 1 release (except with differentpackaging). You can find out more, and pre-order it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B7VZJC/qid=1127598027/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl/026-0924538-5227650

---

A German release of the "The Muppet Show - Season 1" is planned for release on February 28, 2006 from Disney. You can find out more, and pre-order it here: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B8NLRU/qid=1127598595/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/302-0252324-6366433

---

HIT Entertainment has plans to release of the first season of the Fraggle Rock UK co-production (with the Lighthouse keeper instead of Doc) on a region 2 DVD box set (similar to the US release). However the exact release details of that box set are not available yet. However UK Fraggle fans should keep their eyes open for that release in the coming year.

---

Other international releases of The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock season sets may pop-up in the future too. However at this time information on them are not available.

anathema

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
HIT Entertainment has plans to release of the first season of the Fraggle Rock UK co-production (with the Lighthouse keeper instead of Doc) on a region 2 DVD box set (similar to the US release). However the exact release details of that box set are not available yet. However UK Fraggle fans should keep their eyes open for that release in the coming year.
An interesting question occurs...

The UK broadcasts did not follow the same order as the US. The first run of UK airings consisted of the first 15 shows (in a slightly different order to the US) at the start of '84. The next show aired was "Bells", on December 22nd the same year, and "Capture The Moon" kicked off the second run of shows the following February.

Are HiT planning on releasing the UK shows in UK broadcast order? If not, then there is a nice little continuity issue waiting down the line...after Fulton MacKay died, the Captain's nephew took over the lighthouse, making his debut - and presumably being introduced to both Sprocket and the viewers - in "Born To Wander". However, the character also appears in episodes that were aired in the US prior to "Born To Wander"... And he in turn left at some point during what was the fourth US season.

I don't have a full set of UK broadcast dates yet, but it does appear that having the shows in US broadcast order would result in the Captain's nephew appearing in a number of shows prior to his actual introduction :smile:

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
Wowie ... anathema, you're really busy with the Muppets, I gather. You manage to talk about them in a way I can hardly follow ... :big_grin:

At any rate, with this info I think we should be seeing the Muppets Season One DVD around year's end, start of next year here in Belgium. It's a pest living in such a small country sometimes, especially if you're into collecting ... we're so often ... overlooked ... :eek:

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm going to try and translate your post now, anathema ... :wink:

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
I see now ... this is about the Fraggles ... :smirk:
I'm not so much into the Fraggles as I'm into Muppets. The Muppets were broadcasted on TV here when I was about the right age to be enchanted by them; I guess the Fraggles came a bit too late to properly do that.
I was a big fan of Sesame Street as a kid, but the show was different from the US one in some aspects. While they "borrowed" some of the US characters and Muppets (Oscar, super Grover, Cookie Monster, Elmo, ...) they introduced also a number of characters I think only existed in the Dutch version: a blue version of Big Bird which we called Pino, a bear called Tommie and mouse that listened to the name Ieniemienie (prounounce "eenee-meenee"). If you're interested to find out something about those, you can see pictures of them at this site:

http://www.omroep.nl/nps/sesamstraat/

Just click the button with the camera next to the Blue Bird. In my opinion it made the Dutch "Sesamstraat" quite different from the US "Sesame Street". A pity at that ... I wouldn't have mind much more Henson stuff and less "home-made Dutch Muppets".