Muppet Treasure Island DVD Reviews

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Later today the fifth Muppet film, Muppet Treasure Island arrives on DVD. Even though it's a big disappointment the disc isn't in widescreen, it does include some extras. At the top of the extra list is a commentary with Brian Henson and Dave Goelz.

We'd like to have a variety of fan reviews of this film for our reviews section. If you'd like to submit a review, please respond to this post or e-mail me at the link below. Submit the reviews by this Monday June 10 if at all possible.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on buying this movie on DVD (seeing that it's my least favorite Muppet movie).

However, the commentary looks interesting (if it's as good as the commentary on MFS, then it'll be worth it).

Now that I have a job, I can afford to buy all kinds of Muppet junk... :big_grin:

Blind Pew

Reaction score
I'm running right out to get it. I made the calls to Disney for widescreen, but oh well. This one is a must have no matter what.
WE'VE GOT CABIN FEVER!! WE'VE GOT CABIN FEVER!!:smile: :smile:

CountCrow4

Reaction score
DVD

I bought the DVD today, dispite the fact that I'm a huge widescreen fan. I am so glad there is finally a muppet DVD out with a true behind the scenes featurette, which I might add is extremely entertaining. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the commentary but it's got Brian Henson, Gonzo, and Rizzo, so it must be good.

Tim Curry makes fun of Frank Oz a lot in the behind the scenes featurette. I wonder if Frank will get mad, since he is trying to shed the Miss Piggy image in favor of the Mr. Director image. Any thoughts?

Don
Muppet fan since Manhattan

DrummerMan

Reaction score
stand firm

Come on gang. If we gripe and moan about the lack of widescreen and then go buy it anyway, we're never going to make the bozos at Disney DVD do it right. However, if we're like the Willy Wonka fans who refused to buy the pan & scan, took it back if they did, there's a good chance they will see the light.

Stand firm fellow Muppet fans.

smcguire

Reaction score
I've got to agree with DrummerMan. Running out and buying it isn't going to send the right message to Disney, and they're going to just continue to foist pan-and-scan releases off on us.

At the very least, wait several months before buying it... it'll still be around, but it'll be long enough for Disney to (maybe) say, "Hmm, isn't selling very well. Maybe full frame was a mistake?"

I know that's difficult advice - I love to run out and get the latest DVDs when they're released - but that's what I'm doing. No MTI DVD for me for now.

(I noticed that none of the main DVD review sites had advance reviews - wonder if Disney didn't send out advance copies because they knew what they were going to say?)

Blind Pew

Reaction score
Right on

You're right. I ran out to buy it and couldn't find it anywhere. It wasn't coming into some stores until the 16th I was told. (I wonder why so long after the release?) But I guess its a good thing that I didn't buy it. I suppose I'll hold out for a few months and see what happens and in the mean time just watch it on video cassette........sniff :frown:

Grandmaster C

Reaction score
Re: stand firm

Originally posted by DrummerMan
Come on gang. If we gripe and moan about the lack of widescreen and then go buy it anyway, we're never going to make the bozos at Disney DVD do it right. However, if we're like the Willy Wonka fans who refused to buy the pan & scan, took it back if they did, there's a good chance they will see the light.

I agree totally. I also think that if you have to see it that badly, you can rent it for now, it's not the same but it'll do for now.

Fight the occupation!!!

Oh, uh, I mean....

Fight the pan and scan!!!

There we go. :cool:

matleo

Reaction score
Well, I rented it this afternoon and so far I gotta say, I'm not impressed. The BTS trailor is one of the least informative or interesting I've ver seen, with and a lot of interrupt Brian Henson's thought to show 2 second cut away of character reaction that has noithing to with what was just said. and I find Gonzo and Rizzo a little annoying. By the way the real star of the BTS feaure is Dave Goelz's head which does an amazing 5 minutes at the bottom of the screen. You don't have to look quick or anything for it, it's pretty balatant and it's there a while.

As for the commentary, Brian (while he is a good director pats himself on the back a lot but never explains why. "This was a complicated shot to do ehre" And this..this was very hard to do. In fact, I didn't think we woudl actually get that, but we did. remeber that complicated effects shot I told you about earlier? yeah, we're doing that again here too." And when he's not doing that he's patting Kirk Thatcher on the back "That was kirk's idea. And that's a classic Kirk thatcher kind of line. " one gets the impression you know why Jerry Juhl left. I should be fair here. once you get passed some of that, it IS a good commentary. I've gotten the impression befpore that Brian isn't comforatble talking to the camera and doing interviews. if you watch him he makes a lot of nervous jokes and that kind of thing. So I won't hold that too much against the DVD. However, unlike the MFS commentary where Gonzo and Rizzo interact with the director, Gonzo and Rizzo ocaisionally make dumb jokes that again break up the flow and then REALLY breaking up the flow by stopping the movie and showing BTS footage that would have done better if mixed in with the actual BTS documentary. At one point this gets really bad as they show one of these "hidden treasures" which just repeats exactly what Brian had just said in the commentary. or when they actually interrupt the middle of 'Sailing For Adventyure" to show shots of the model ship in the middle of a parking lot like there was no better place to put this.

While I generally like MTI as a film, I just found this DVD lacking in a lot of places. Bottom line, if you own a copy on video it might be worth it to rent it to see the extras once, but don't bother buying a second copy just to get them. I'll echo what someone else said here once that if this is the kind of treatment we can expect from the Disney people regarding the Muppet franchise, then hope someone else gets them. I sense dark times ahead.

Oh, I did like the interactive menu which features Gonzo and Rizzo running around coaxing you to choose certain features. I should alo add that until viewing the film on DVD I hadn't realised that Dave Goelz's head is a feautred attraction in the the film itself as well. Look very carfully during and around the scenes near the song the 3 characters do in the inn Lotsa Goelz's head. Really it's quite something!!!

--Matt

Reaction score
Re: stand firm

Originally posted by DrummerMan

Yeah, and don't do it just for Muppet Treasure Island, do it for the future of DVD! After all, if the studios see that the best profit is made on pan and scan discs, widescreen will be just like on VHS -- reserved for rare "collector's editions" and special releases. We can't let that happen, because in the near future, when the average household has a 16 by 9 digital TV, we won't be able to find a disc that will fill our screens.

Personally, I wouldn't even buy Muppet Treasure Island in widescreen. While I find the film enjoyable, I didn't find any of the three post-Jim films to be on par with my sense of humor the way the original three films were. I only buy films that I expect to watch repeatedly, such as Hensen's three films. I might rent this one though.

-Blue Ewok Muppet