1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Voice Comparisons

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Canadian Fan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Richard was one of a kind, and he had an amazing and unique voice. Fraggle Rock Animated's Junior Gorg proved that (difference here, at least these guys are TRYING to sound like Richard).

David has been recast in a LOT of Richard's roles, going far back as the Cosby Show where he performed Sweetums while Richard was a sandwich.

When it comes down to a performance, there's several things to consider... personality should always come first, availability a close section. Sounding the same is important, sure, but not as the others. That's why certain other characters bounce back and forth from performer to performer and some never even get a major recast. I remember Dr. Teeth going through several performers, and only for one line at a time in projects. A character is a very personal thing, and sometimes you luck out and find someone who can do both a voice and a personality...

I am grateful for recasting... I believe we should have new characters, but keep the old as best we can. When someone leaves or passes, those characters cause a gap... and a lot of characters get created and lost to fill that out. Sesame Street to be sure... that's one of the reasons there's so much Elmo...
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

But see none of that matters if the writing isn't what it should be. ;)
  3. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Hmm...well good point but while writing can play a part with how well a recast is received (i do think half of the criticism with Steve's Kermit during his first decade has to do more with his writing than Steve's performance), a good recast can transcend that given (a) many times the Muppeteer's performances make a script better - either helping a weaker script still come off better or making a great script incredible and (b) many times a Muppet will work without a script such as in interviews and the recast must be able to improv the character well enough if that situation - another reason why Muppeteers are more than the voices.
  4. heralde

In my experience it is very difficult for even excellent actors to save a badly written script.

I'm going to be honest and say a lot of the recent Muppet improv interviews have contained far too many tasteless jokes for my liking. Improv can be wonderful, or it can crash and burn. It's pure hit or miss.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You cannot blame an actor trying to act the heck out of a bad script. Oz was a terrible idea period, but the performers gave it their all, even though Ashanti's lack of acting and chemistry made the entire thing feel awkward. So far, I still feel that was the worst project to date, and the only thing that was a true disappointment... I still didn't see KSY, but it has to be real horrid to be worse than that. As for the other things, MCC, MTI had great scripts, MFS had a good one that was put through a shredder by the director, VMX was a product of its time, and doesn't age well, but still had some great moments, LTS needed more time in gestation, and we're not going to know about TM until it comes out.

As for the improving... yeah, the Kermit and Piggy caustic relationship bit? I swear someone in charge goads the puppeteers into that. When the conversation goes away from the lame caustic relationship (now I'm wishing they DID marry Kermit and Piggy off), the improv is great and organic... it clearly seems forced by some higher up because someone gets the impression that's constantly funny.

I have nothing BUT respect for Steve's Kermit, especially after hearing stories about how he just couldn't bring himself to do it for a while. But someone IS swaying the conversation towards those old jokes, and I doubt it's him.
  6. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

And now, everyone's favorite lab assistant, Beaker! :eek:

(Richard Hunt & Steve Whitmire)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZoj6JaevPo

To answer dwmckim's question, the one posting these has posted several clips of each performer in the clip (there's a few that I just posted links because there wasn't a composite video available).
  7. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

8. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

9. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

It's really hard to screw up something as simple as a "meep" for Beaker, so Steve did a perfect job here.
  10. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

11. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Well, it is, but I've noticed the differences in the meeps of the two performers. While Steve's meeps seem to be a bit fuller and finshed, Richard's meeps seem to be faster like "me-mo-me-mee-mo-mee-mo-me-me!" It's hard to sort of type his exact dialogue... But yeah, that's sort of what I believe is the difference.

Steve's meeps are very good, he's doing a perfect job. But also, like Drtooth and heralde said, no one can match Richard's enthusiasm
  12. heralde

Plus Steve did say he was mainly doing an imitation since he honestly didn't really understand where Beaker came from as a character. Whereas I get the feeling Richard always knew exactly what Beaker was saying, lol. :eek:
  13. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

Everyone's favorite drummer, Animal!:halo:
    (Frank Oz & Eric Jacobson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2plGtemM0k

I think Eric has done quite well with Frank's characters. You know, Frank and Eric's voices for Miss Piggy sound the most feminine.

Someone had pointed out the changes in Gonzo's voice. At first, Gonzo had a squeaky voice in the first season of the Muppet Show, but over the years, it's gotten deeper with a lot less squeak.
  14. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

15. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

16. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I've been thinking the exact same things. Even though Gonzo is one of the few Muppets who is performed by the same guy who originally performed him, he does sound quite different now than he did in the first season of 'The Muppet Show.' In fact, some say that Pepe's voice has changed over the years as well, so I could see one for him. Heck, I'm still waiting on one for Snuffleupagus. (Jerry Nelson/Michael Earl/Marty Robinson)
  17. Studmeister17

Studmeister17 New Member

I love Artie's Kermit! And the video guy is absolutely right with the description of the voice! I mean, if Artie works hard at it, he could sound just like Jim Henson's Kermit! I love these videos!
  18. Studmeister17

Studmeister17 New Member

But if he/she did that, then they wouldn't really be comparing the voices, they'd just be playing them back to back...
  19. heralde

Yeah me too, he really blew me away at some points. :)
  20. Studmeister17

Studmeister17 New Member

I wonder if everyone has subscribed to him on Muppet Central...
    Oh well. I'm going to.