1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Muppeteers' least favorite Henson projects

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Princeton, May 14, 2014.

1. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

Obviously, not all Henson productions can be winners, even to the people who actually took part in them. So, post the productions that are not liked by people associated with them, along with the person's name. Here's my list:

-Monster Maker (Brian Henson)
    -Great Muppet Caper (Dave Goelz)
    -Dark Crystal (Michael Frith)
    -Labyrinth (Jerry Nelson)

2. fozzieisfunny

fozzieisfunny Well-Known Member

Jim Henson wasn't proud of his appearance on The Arsenio Hall Show.

3. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

-Muppets from space (Frank Oz )

4. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

What the!!!! Why wouldn't he? Can I see some proof, because I think that's kind of insane.

Oh here's my contribution

Studio D.C. (Steve Whitmire)

5. Muppet Master

Muppets from space (Steve Whitmire)

6. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Peter Linz mentioned it in his recent appearance at BAM.

7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well I remember he was asked about it once in an interview in MC's articles section:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/interviews/goelz3.shtml

I love GMC and I don't the final product is smug, but I can also get what he's saying; GMC is the least sentimental of the original three and not as polished as TMM. I still enjoy it though. And it's normal for creators to be conflicted about their projects.

8. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I could see MFS being the performers least favorite

9. Muppet Master

I saw the Dave Goelz interview, and it says he loved MFS. Kinda obvious since he had the starring role, but still.

backpackmina and muppetlover123 like this.
  10. backpackmina

backpackmina Active Member

I know I'm late to this thread, but where did you find that out?

11. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I heard this from a friend, Bill Baretta's least favorite was Elmo In Grouchland.

12. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

He mentioned it on an audio commentary on the Dinosaurs Third And Fourth Season DVD set.
    This surprises me since Bill was just a background puppeteer on this.

backpackmina likes this.
  13. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Bill's involvement with SST in general has been minimal at best: I think Elmo's dad is the only character he's ever performed on the show.

I don't know if he actually disliked it or not, but I remember Frank talking about how confused and out-of-place he felt during the making of DC, mainly because he didn't understand why Jim felt it was necessary to bring him on as co-director (though Jim said he thought the movie would be better that way), because not only did he not really know what Jim was going for with the movie (then again, nobody really did), but nobody even came to him for insight/input anyway, they all went to Jim who did most of the actual directing anyway.

backpackmina likes this.
  14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Bill did get one lines as a grouch, saying "I'd love to, but I don't speak English."

But I don't think the performers have to have actually been in these productions to dislike them. Somebody said Jerry Nelson didn't like Labyrinth (this is the first I've heard that), and Nelson didn't even perform in Labyrinth (could it be because he didn't like the script?).

backpackmina likes this.