frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'll bite

Top 3 Performers:
Bill Barretta
Dave Goelz
Jerry Nelson
(Karen not mentioned because she'll probably attend and I may see her more at the Puppet Guild meetings)

Top 3
Pepe!
Gonzo
Scooter!!!! Somebody bring him back!
(Kermit will likely be there and I hope Eric shows up with Piggy!)

Hope I can make the next one!!!

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Kev

Jackie, Emmy...If you 2 are there, this will DEFINITELY be a MuppetFest "2" remember!
That could be a good thing, or that could be a bad thing.

:big_grin:

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by Smig
Ladies, you better hope that Dave and Steve DON"T read this thread.. otherwise you'll scare them away from Muppetfest for sure!

Smig
If we do scare them (and Bill) away, I thought that it would be a lot sooner...

:smile:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'm sure i'll have more ideas when i have a chance to ponder them more but these are just some off-the-top-pf-my-head things.

I would like to see more Sesame representation but not disproportionately heavy. I can understand why Sesame got short-shrift at MF1:

(1) The focus was on the Classic Muppets and TMS 25 Anniversary - enough people already confuse the two casts.
(2) With the Sesame characters now owned by Sesame Workshop it gets into a fuzzier area (no pun intended) when one celebrates the works of The Jim Henson Company.

Now having said that, since this year, the TMS 25th Anniversary will be over - this will truly be a total fan convention (they may think of some other "theme" but really this is the convention that basically says "the fan base is large and devoted enough now to where an official convention can be a recurring thing rather than a one-off"). So it would be nice - especially given the East Coast angle - to include Sesame more to some extent. Don't know i'd want Sesame to be the main theme or ultimate focus, but still they should be represented. Perhaps some rare clips that hasn't aired anywhere in ages (ie classic clips that have not made their way to the Noggin programs). I would certainly love to see some Mr Hooper clips (perhaps some tributes to Will Lee & N Calloway). I would also love to see first through third season clips - "Yellow Submarine", "Subway", "One Way", the "Surprise song" (from the mid 70's but still an old time fave rare gem!)...several green Grover clips!

More than anything though, i would like to see more representation of the "East Coast based" Muppeteers - the panels at MF1 were mostly chosen to represent the Classic Muppet performers - but i would very much love to see participation from and panels with people like Fran Brill (please please PLEASE!), David Rudman (another must - speaking as the unofficial president of the David Rudman Fan Club!), Joey Mazzarino, Caroll Spinney, Martin Robinson, and Camille Bonora. Yes there are others that could and probably should go in there (Stephanie, Pam, Matt...) but those are really the "Must Haves" - and then if i had to narrow it down to three, i'd choose Fran, David, and Camille (Caroll's got a lot of "votes" already and seems a bit of a no-brainer so i want to speak up for those who i feel are essential but could still be overlooked.)

One unique thing about MF2 is that it will still be just on the verge of the full break-out of the "Muppet Renaissance" - yes, there will have been all the merchandise from the 25th Anniversary and more public consciousness but still just before anyone will have seen the NBC movie or Fox series - that won't occur until Number 3 - so MF3 should REALLY be the big explosion - MF2 though will still mainly be the hardcore "core" Muppet fans that have supported them throughout.

What that also means though, is that they'll also still be working on such things as the Fox series (i would trust the film would be in post-production by then, but you never know.) MF1 was especially notable because - all Muppet bias aside - it really set the standard for fan conventions...the people that we were celebrating were all very active participants to a degree that far surpasses most official fan conventions - throughout the day convention itself and especially the live show. A lot of that was the unique non-Hollywood/star system mentality that exists within Henson, but also at that time, the company was not really working on a lot of other projects at the time and it was easier to concentrate on the live show. What i'm getting around to saying is, as deeply appreciative i remain for the level of work that went into MF1, i don't feel it's of paramount importance that Henson should be under pressure to "top" the first one (that's not saying they shouldn't try to put on the best fest possible of course.) For example, if it comes down to the preperations for a live show taking attention/energy away from working on making the television series the best it can be, i would urge them to put the attention on the series...something that everyone will be seeing (and they very much need a successful series now - both in terms of ratings and quality). There's a lot of "dream" things i'd love to see - but my ultimate wish for Henson as a fan is that they continue to do the best work they can as a company...anything done for MF is just a nice little added extra!

...Now of course there exists to what i just said the flip side of the coin that by putting on another show and pulling out all the stops again that it may further inspire Henson to better work on the series and such since they have direct feedback of what the fans love and have what makes them so unique in mind...but like i say, i just want to see them put on the best fest they can for this particular time with the resources/energy they're able to devote to it. If it doesn't "top" the first one, that's fine (does anything ever top the original?), it will still be its own unique entity that will not disappoint anyone who doesn't enter it with those preconceived notions. If there's no live show for example, it may be a little disappointing, but not heartbreaking under the circumstances.

Joggy

Reaction score
Chances are big that the Dutch Dude will be there as well! Whooo hooooo!!

Those who sit next to me will have to expect a lot of: "Excuse me - what did they say here?" LOL!!!

matleo

Reaction score
Interesting points DW. You also said something that sparked an idea...

SESAME OUTTAKES!!!

They are out there. They exist and if you've never seen them...they're hilarious!! If there is a panel on SS then by all means there needs to be some SS outttakes.

--Matt

pezbalubah

Reaction score
I'd like to see Frank Oz there, this time he has no excuse if it's in NY, but watch he'll be in CA this time... I'd be happy if he came for just an hour out of 2 days. Maybe Frank can tell us what's going on and introduce his replacements (Rudman, etc).

Fraggle characters, a panel with the muppeteers and the Fraggles, and they have to sing at least one song!

classic Sesame Street characters, Ernie, Bert, Oscar, Big Bird, the Count, that'd be awesome.

Jackie

Reaction score
I think the Muppeteers enjoy the attention we give to them :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
dw's post, WOW!

WOW! I dont think I Could have articulated that one better DW!
Youre right, I think the Muppet Rennaissance(or the road to the Muppets return to glory) will definately be into full swing by muppetfest 2. I do think Fran Brill, Carrol Spinney, Rudman are a must, but DEFINATELY Eric Jacobson. The dream would of course be Oz, so ya never know. And DW you madea great point...what other fan convention has there been where virtually the ENTIRE people and stuff the convention is about is on hand? Youre lucky if background people from star wars and billy dee show up at a Lucas star wars con. And even then ya wont see a live star wars thing. IF they did a live show, I can just imagine what they would have ins tore...a preview of the upcoming fox series? Now that the bunny stain is all but gone, the road is clear for the mother of all 'puppet' shows to rock. Anyways, when that east coast announcement comes this summer...wow. Im sure there will be a flurry of ideas on here soon!

Oh, and yes I would love to see a portion devoted to Sesame, or just an overall intergration on stage. How great it was to see Elmo with classic and new Muppet show characters...I want to see Bear muppets and puppeteers, the whole caboodle!
And of course...the return of Fraggle Rock(even if its just a fraggle or two) While there is the 3 main franchises(Muppet Show, Sesame Street, and BEar) how can you forget the F Rock?

///beaker///

Status
Not open for further replies.