MuppetFest: Discuss Original and Your Dreams

ChellisPal

Reaction score
Hey Fozzie,
I have some good ideas too, and being close to the NY area I have met a few folks who worked w the Hensons, and am close to the offices of SW so maybe I can give u a hand in getting things together....PM me

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm WAY too busy to even start anything right now. If I do anything it will be after October. Between now and then I have several conventions and events, and am planning Con-Sequential for October, so the opportunity for me to do any work or foot work is ... none.

Obviously, I will appreciate all help when that time comes. Finally, if, when the time comes to do this, anybody has some previous experience making such event plans that would be appreciated.

Like I said, nothing will even begin being planned until after October.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
If I had the money needed to do what I want to do I'd be dangereuse!
... Would you be dangeresque?!?

:wink:

Back on topic, I am thrilled that even the smallest bit of planning is going into this (whatever and wherever this may be)! I will totally be there, no doot aboot it.
And Kev, good luck with everything else you are planning!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks, Mrs. Pepper.

Right now, I'm actually wearing myself out getting ready to go to Metropolis, IL, on June 8-11. I've got to make 3 new sets of hands for Muley, do some more art, I'm working on 2 different Muley Comix and Stories books, and SOOO much more.

Your good wishes will help me make them all good!

unclematt

Reaction score
As MrsPepper said I am so glad that some serious thought is going into this. When we have talked in the past it seemed like there was no one that could take charge of such an emmense project. It feels so good to know that someone will have the time (after October) to take on the project. Thank you Fozzie Bear.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, you know I'm gonna be honest: If I do this it's going to be en passe for me because I have so much going on--however, if I do this I'll be pulling folks together to help pull it off.

unclematt

Reaction score
Fozzie I will absolutely do what I can to help this become a reality.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hmm...with all the offers of help on this I'm starting to consider this more than a possibility of a project to undertake.

beaker

Reaction score
In 2007 there HAS to be some sort of Muppet related gathering. *somehwere*
to let yet another year pass since 2001 without one would be a shame.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've been thinking, gang, and here's what goes:

The name I thought of, to encompass EVERYTHING we know and love:

HensonFest

First, JHC, SW, and Diz all have to be willing to allow fans to do such a convention.

Second, it's just not worth doing unless performers and people from throughout Henson History make appearances.

Third, MONEY MONEY MONEY! Part of the funds comes from entry fees, another set of funds come from Sponsors. What are you funding? Space, guest rooms, guest travel expenses, guest food, advertising expenses, and mroe.

Fourth, someone has to convince sponsors to donate and get their names on programs, posters, etc; plus someone has to convince a hotel/community college to participate and donate space and rooms to guests.

Fifth, programming: Panel discussions are fine with the guest, but what else is of interest? Obviously we could show Henson-related movies, DVDs, etc (with permission of JHC, SW, and Diz), but would people be interested in puppet shows performed by attendees? Puppetry based discussions not related to The Muppets? Will either of the 3 companies, or all 3 companies, supply items for an exhibition of sorts?

Sixth, where? What's a good single location where everyone can come together that's inexpensive for travel and lodging? Obviously, I would want it in Memphis with a free day set aside for a trip down to Greenville, MS, to see the Jim Henson Museum down there; someone will want it in California next to the JHC and Diz; someone will want it in NYC next to Sesame Street's filming location; someone will want it in England, Australia, Japan, Switzerland, Mexico, and just about any other place.

There's soooo much to have to consider in all this that I doubt seriously anything would honestly be planned that could make everybody happy; much less the possibility of getting permission from all 3 companies to create an event like this. Time-wise and monetarily speaking it's too much work without the pre-produced funds necessary to get something like this off the ground.

However, there is another option:
1) Puppeteers of America hosts the PuppetFest each year.
2) Some other kind of Puppet Convention with a small emphasis to celebrate Jim Henson which MIGHT bring someone from Henson History down.

The second part of that I've been greatly considering, but first I would want to create a small puppetry organization (not unlike the Mid-South Cartoonists Association) to be host of the symposium. I also considered doing that second type of convention and offering Muley as host/emcee of the weekend.

I dunno--these are all things I keep considering over and over again in my head hoping something will pop (not physically, of course--that'd be bad for me to have something pop in my head). Whenever the GREAT BIG idea hits, you can bet I'll work toward bringing it to reality.

In the meantime, I'm barely keeping up on my Muley work, much less that of someone else's.

Also, I imagine whenever they want to do it the fine people at Diz, JHC, or SW will bring it together for us.